mtbr member
    Jun 2010

In Tune Bicycle Repair (mobile bike service)

Hello mountain bike community, my name is Ryan Kershek. I have started a mobile tune up and repair service called In Tune Bicycle Repair located in north county but serving all of San Diego. I am a United Bicycle Institute certified mechanic with certification in professional shop repair, suspension service and wheel building. I have worked in shops for a number of years and I have a lot experience working on mountain, road and tri bikes. My goal is to provide you with same day service so there no down time in your riding schedule. I am honest and reliable and take pride in what I do. I am a CAT 1 XC racer, I live and breath riding, bikes are my life.

Please check out my website and feel free to contact me with any questions. I look forward working with you.

Ryan
    intunebicyclerepair.com
    ryan@intunebicyclerepair.com
    760-522-5313

Hi.
    You charge $100 to install a riser bar?

Those prices are ridiculous. I'm sorry to say, but your success will be limited when you have shops like North of the Border doing equal or better work for significantly less money.

Professional Troll
    Most of those prices seem pretty reasonable, especially considering its on site, no downtime service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    You charge $100 to install a riser bar?

Those prices are ridiculous. I'm sorry to say, but your success will be limited when you have shops like North of the Border doing equal or better work for significantly less money.
    'That is just a est. but the price includes new cables and housing if needed. If there is no new cables and housing needed then the price would be a lot less. Sorry for the confussion.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Most of those prices seem pretty reasonable, especially considering its on site, no downtime service.

I don't know what ripoff shop you take your bikes into, but many of those prices are far from reasonable. He even has illogical pricing models:

Install a riser bar or drop bars: $80
    Build a road or mountain bike: $80

I don't think I've been to a shop that charges as much as Ryan for some of those services. I understand that it's a competitive market and the cost of living is high in San Diego, but c'mon! Assuming you have to replace cables and housing, it shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to install a riser bar. Factor in the cost of materials (which should be less than $15 if you buy in bulk,) you're making $100+ per hour...

Speaking from experience as a former bike shop employee and a current on-the-side mechanic, an effective business model is to keep your prices as low as possible during startup, doing excellent work, and advertising via word-of-mouth.

Once you develop a reputation that validates higher prices, then you can bump up your fees and start running a more successful business. And you'll have the customer base to support yourself.

But hey, if you want to charge obscene prices for your in-home mechanic services, be my guest. I have a feeling you won't get a lot of people switching over from their tried-and-true shops just to check you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Former employee, and on-the-side mechanic. That explains your answer, although keeping your prices as low as possible is a strategy, its a poor one, reserved for those without marketing skills to make sales happen without advertising to be the lowest priced schmuck out there.

Ryan got my work, and my two kids work based on trust, follow through, and excellent service.
    His pricing could use better verbiage, but the way it breaks down for me is less than $40.00 per hour on multiple repairs.

His truck set-up, tools, people skills, and trade skills put him in a niche of customers like myself that are looking for excellence, and trust in a business relationship as opposed to price. I don't have time to go to a shop, and don't want unknowns around my house, family or toys. He would be cheap at twice the price.

Best Business Model: Service only Top Tier Customers that pay at or above the going rate, that appreciate and trust you work, while never complaining or questioning prices. There are more than enough of those available, no need to go after folks where price is a major issue.

Price, Quality, Availability, as a business you can corner two of these but not three, I will take the last two anytime over price.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    THis is really an old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by froglives View Post
    Former employee, and on-the-side mechanic. That explains your answer, although keeping your prices as low as possible is a strategy, its a poor one, reserved for those without marketing skills to make sales happen without advertising to be the lowest priced schmuck out there.

Ryan got my work, and my two kids work based on trust, follow through, and excellent service.
    His pricing could use better verbiage, but the way it breaks down for me is less than $40.00 per hour on multiple repairs.

His truck set-up, tools, people skills, and trade skills put him in a niche of customers like myself that are looking for excellence, and trust in a business relationship as opposed to price. I don't have time to go to a shop, and don't want unknowns around my house, family or toys. He would be cheap at twice the price.

Best Business Model: Service only Top Tier Customers that pay at or above the going rate, that appreciate and trust you work, while never complaining or questioning prices. There are more than enough of those available, no need to go after folks where price is a major issue.

Price, Quality, Availability, as a business you can corner two of these but not three, I will take the last two anytime over price.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    New Year's Resolution: ALWAYS check the date of the post!

(now who do I see about getting those 5 minutes back?)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Lol holy old post. But interesting too see that intunebicyclerepair.com doesn't even load anymore. Guess jtmartino was right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by heleninct View Post
    THis is really an old thread.
    ya, smells a like a shill bump