Thread: Trip to SoCal

sanadaracing
    Dec 2011

Trip to SoCal

Planning a trip to Southern Calif sometime in the end of July.
    Any race or mountain bike related events there during that time?
    Any BIG bike/parts/apparel shops where I can go shopping?
    Unfortunately, I can't take my bike with me as this trip will be part business.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is it just BIG bike shops your'e looking for, or would you maybe be looking for GOOD bike shops. The two are not always inclusive.....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

official eMpTyBRain
    So it's a shopping/spectator trip, not a riding trip?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Socal is a big place (about 1/3 the area of Japan according to wikipedia). You'll get better responses if you provide a bit more info (i.e. what town/or towns you'll be staying in, how much free time you'll have, etc.). Are you planning to ride while you're here? Need to rent a bike?

sanadaracing
    Dec 2011
    Apologies for not being specific.
    Yes, it will be a shopping/spectator trip as I won't be able to take my bike with me
    (I will be traveling with my boss).
    I will be interested in huge bike shop where it houses many zillions of parts. I want
    to look around and see what you SoCalifornians are into.
    We will be in LA/Orange county area, but don't mind driving 100-200mi. one way.
    Your input will be very appreciated.

mtbr member

Trip to SoCal

In terms of in-stock parts and good bikes, there's no better place than The Path. It's in Irvine. There are plenty of great shops in SoCal, but The Path has great stock.

Some good rides down there - Santiago Oaks, San Juan. The Santa Monica range in LA is good, too. Backbone Trail in the west, Sullivan Cyn/Ridge in the eastern part. The San Gabriels are great. Chantry Flats, El Prieto...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Probably the biggest shop in SD. county is Bike Bling in Escondido. They do a lot of internet and phone orders, so they advertise on emptybeer a lot.
    For good service and quality product as well, North of the Border, further south in Sorrento Valley, is a great shop.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Sled of Lead.
    The Path is in Tustin.
    Yes, they have tons of very high-end stuff in stock.

Home - The Path Bike Shop

If you're up for a ride and don't have your bike, they have a huge demo fleet too.

There's also Jenson USA in Riverside but it's more of a warehouse than a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    In terms of in-stock parts and good bikes, there's no better place than The Path. It's in Irvine. There are plenty of great shops in SoCal, but The Path has great stock.

Some good rides down there - Santiago Oaks, San Juan. The Santa Monica range in LA is good, too. Backbone Trail in the west, Sullivan Cyn/Ridge in the eastern part. The San Gabriels are great. Chantry Flats, El Prieto...

mtbr member
    There is nothing to see at Jensen. The Path and Bike Bling are both good recommendations for sight seeing. Bling has much more stock than The Path, but Path is a much better customer experience if that makes any sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If your williing to drive 200 miles one way why not drive 25 miles or so and rent a bike and hit some So Cal Trails?
    Demos & Rentals - The Path Bike Shop, plus eye candy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    If your williing to drive 200 miles one way why not drive 25 miles or so and rent a bike and hit some So Cal Trails?
    Demos & Rentals - The Path Bike Shop, plus eye candy!
    +1

And if your boss doesn't ride, then seems to me you have yourself a shuttle driver.

For one of the better shops hit up the Path for a rental and then hit up San Juan trail for one of the better rides in SoCal. You can find maps for the ride at MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures - get dropped off at Bluejay Campground and ride across new San Juan past Cocktail Rock and down to the lower trailhead.

sanadaracing
    Dec 2011
    Hey, thanks very much guys!
    The Path sounds interesting. I just checked their website, and seems really interesting. I have bought some parts from Jenson and Bling over the internet.
    I guess I will rent a bike at the Path and hit the local trail (San Juan?) as you guys suggested.
    I know I will have one or two days of free time there.
    Can't wait till I get there.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    San Juan Trail....... take your camera!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you are riding San Juan in July, leave very early in the morning and bring lots of water as it can get very hot that far inland this time of year.

The Path also has a new shop in Trabuco canyon. From there you can rent a bike and there are plenty or great trails you can access within 5 mins of their parking lot and in July will be much cooler than San Juan. I am sure they will be more than happy to direct you to Trabuco, Holy Jim. STT/Luge and the other trails in that area.

You also might want to check out El Moro, Aliso Woods and Laguna Coast wilderness park. These are all next to each other along the ocean and have a large variety of terrain.

If you want to check out a great local race series depending when you are in town.

Over the Hump- Schedule | Over the Hump Mountain Bike Series

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    If you are riding San Juan in July, leave very early in the morning and bring lots of water as it can get very hot that far inland this time of year.
    ^^^^^Pay attention to that right there.^^^^^^^^^ Very early means sunrise. Get the climbing done early.. You'll thank grendalfly later.

See if the shop is okay with picking up a bike in the evening and returning it the next day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oh god @ SJT in summertime. 50 degree temp swings are lame. Also, if come from an area with all single track, SJT loses a bit of its (relative) luster. Not sure where OP is coming from though. Flip side: if you're definitely going to shuttle it, SJT is only an hour(ish) long ride...

In any case, I'd reco LCW / El Moro / Aliso as strong alternatives that are not Africa-hot in the summer. Can string together some pretty epic trails (though the climbs are punchier and more frequent than SJT). If OPs bag is DH you can get more 'flavor' out of these areas (telonics, etc).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    ^^^^^Pay attention to that right there.^^^^^^^^^ Very early means sunrise. Get the climbing done early.. You'll thank grendalfly later.

See if the shop is okay with picking up a bike in the evening and returning it the next day.
    The Path will allow you to do this. I have done it for a couple friends who have visited.

sanadaracing
    Dec 2011
    Thanks a lot guys!
    Sounds like the Path is a really interesting place.
    I will visit both their Tustin and Trabuco canyon shops!
    Tuesday night races? Am very curious what kind of bikes/components racers are using there. I should be able to get there by 7 or 8pm to check them out.