Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trip Advice Sought

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  pinnacle10 
#1 ·
I am a roadbiker and I decided yesterday I'm going to do some mountain biking this weekend as a fun change of pace. I don't have a mountain bike, and will need to rent one. And I have no idea where to go. I saw that Topanga Creek Bicycles rents some pretty nice bikes for $75 for two days and you can ride all the trails back in the Santa Monica mountains.

I'm also open to driving out to Joshua Tree or anywhere else that has excellent trails. I only mention Joshua Tree because it's somewhere I've never been and would like to go and I'm open to going anywhere that reasonable for a weekend trip.

Suggestions are appreciated!

#2 ·
There really aren't any trails (with a few private property exceptions) in Joshua Tree or that high desert area. Technically, you cannot ride any of the trails in Joshua Tree National Park but you can ride the dirt roads or paved roads within the park.

The rain is going to make our trails unridable for at least a few days so I fear that this weekend would not be a good time to trail ride.

I suggest waiting until the rains have past by for several days and then trying Chesebro Canyon in Agoura Hills. You'll see plenty of other mtn bikers to talk with for route advice.

#3 ·
I heard the storms now hitting the SF bay area will be moving south. How much rain hits the LA area I don't know.

Another thought for this weekend would be to take the road bike out to the desert east of San Diego, to Anza Borrego State Park. Not much traffic, and it's usually dry out there, even when San Diego is getting rain.

#4 ·
HarryCallahan said:
I heard the storms now hitting the SF bay area will be moving south. How much rain hits the LA area I don't know.

Another thought for this weekend would be to take the road bike out to the desert east of San Diego, to Anza Borrego State Park. Not much traffic, and it's usually dry out there, even when San Diego is getting rain.
If you are going to come out to Anza Borrego (I live here) bring along a rental MTB and we can hit up some of the trails out here. Lots of roadies now because of the weather in the city (no rain out here yet.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.