Well Biked
    Jun 2005

New question here. Transition Sunglasses dark enough for Socal/San Diego?

Hey Everybody,

I just had some nice Oakely Jawbones stolen from my truck. I know- stupid to leave then in there.
    I'm thinking of replacing them with some Racing Jackets, and possibly with the Transition lenses.

My question is do they darken enough for our Sunny, often cloudless skys we have much of the year? I do have pretty sensitive eyes when it's bright, dry and hot. I'm quite fine with dark tint 90% of the time, but for the other 10% and roads trips to places that have forrests it would be nice to have one lense that does it all.

I know these things need UV light to change. Do they still darken fine if your using a helment with a decent visor?- that was my other question.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    I have RX Oakley Jawbones with the Transition lenses. I really like them, especially since they go completely clear for night riding. It's a big plus not having to worry about changing lenses. I don't think a helmet visor affects their ability to darken, but I've never really thought about that. I don't like overly dark tint lenses, even in full sun, so the Transitions work well for me. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that you'll find them to be not dark enough on a bright, sunny day. I recommend finding a dealer with a good selection on-hand that will let you try on a pair and wear them outside in full sun. Bring your helmet and/or a baseball cap along for the test. The place where I purchased mine had a few different models on-hand with Transition lenses. Good luck!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for your comment! I played with a pair of prescription glasses I have with Transition coating, and wore them out in the sun today with my helmet on. It darkened, but not as much as when I took off the helmet and gave it some direct sun. I'm not sure how this would compare to the Oakley lense.

I have some flackjackets for driving with the Polorized black. I wouldnt need it that dark. I like a bit more contrast.

mtbr member
    I have very sensitive eyes. I have to wear sunglasses if I'm outside, even if its overcast. But when I ride, I wear as lite a tint as I can get away with, because If I'm in the sun and riding around trees, it's hard to see the ground in the shady areas. So for me Transitions work good under my helmet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I also use Transition lenses in my Ray Bans RB4054 (wrap arounds- really nice), and got them originally in SoCal, they worked great especially for summer usage when we would start rides sometimes pre-dawn and conclude nearer to noon when the sun is blazing.

Jimn, my experience is a little different than yours as I have felt the transition lenses sometimes don't adjust to glare as quickly when used with a helmet that has a visor that keeps the majority of UV off the lenses directly, but they do work. Living in Utah now and have found them to be AWESOME in the snowy glare- and they darken a lot to the point that people cannot see my eyes at all, same experience while boating. Because of the tremendous reflectivity of the water and snow the transition lenses are getting lots of direct UV and darken up a lot more than when I was biking.

I also found that my lenses have worked better over time then when they were new when I felt it took a long time for them to adjust. Now they go back and forth pretty quickly and I have had them for almost 4 years.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks again everyone! What I have been wondering is if they will darken to their full potential when the sun is fairly high, and you have a visor that keep the sun from directly hitting it.
    I' m not sure how much UV rays reflect off the brown grass and sage brush of the San Diego terrain. But the sun can be pretty intense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have been riding with transitions for a long time in San Diego and love them. Just got some new Addidas (I think Oakley is overpriced) from SportRX (on Engineer road). They are awesome.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    I have been riding with transitions for a long time in San Diego and love them. Just got some new Addidas (I think Oakley is overpriced) from SportRX (on Engineer road). They are awesome.
    Cool! I work on Engineer rd. Where on Engineer is it?
    Do they use the same Transitions coat as the Oakley?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Prescription Sunglasses - Free catalog 888-831-5817 - Prescription Motorcycle, Sports Eyewear Goggles Eyeglasses
    sportrx.com
    7283 Engineer Road
    They are very helpful and have all the frames there to try on. You will need a current prescription. I use Dr. Howard on Clairemont Mesa. If you walk in, there is no sales tax.
    Last edited by outside!; 03-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.