Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trailwork in Los Penasquitos, April 26th!

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  EBasil 
#1 ·
SDMBA's
Los Penasquitos Volunteer Trail Maintenance Day
Saturday, April 26th
8am to Noon

Project: to reclaim the steep/rutted old fire road leading down to the Duck Pond on Cobblestone trail by converting it to singletrack and repairing damage to the "horse steps" at the base.

Two Meeting Places:

8:00am:
Parking lot at Pro-Built Wheels, event sponsor. The address is 4206 H Sorrento Valley Blvd., San Diego, CA 92116 and the link to a Google Map is here:

There will be a post-work BBQ and trail ride at Pro-Built, so this is a good place to leave your car/carpool to the site from. Mike M. has way more information about this, so look for his postings.

8:30am: Trailhead area on Del Vino Court. If you're late or just want to drive straight to the trailhead, we're all parking on Del Vino, right where the fences block off what will become Carmel Mtn Rd. The link to Google Maps is here:

If you're "late": don't worry about it, but hike down Cobblestone Trail to the duck pond (there isn't room to stash bikes or tether horses, so please do walk) and jump in with those already working. Thinking about it, now, you could easily ride in from the top of The Shits at stash your rig up above the trail work area.

What to bring: sunscreen, a hat, bug repellant for the black flies at the pond, water and work gloves. If you've got a trail tool you like to use, bring that but mark your name on it with a Sharpie. If you're riding in, think about extra gloves to use, instead of shredding your riding gloves.

Who's invited? You are! Hiker, Biker, Runner, Horseback rider, DH lunatic, goater…all are welcome. Come out and help your neighbors make a better trail out of a rutted mess.

Questions? email SDMBA's "Los Penasquitos Guy", Mike Maio at 8x8-792-7600 or post here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay, so here's a crayon-quality depiction of what we'll do to convert the 37% slope of the last section of this trail into a self-sustaining, drained singletrack that stays within the confines of the old utility road easement.

Take a look. I think it will be harder to ride as fast as some can now, but better for those currently skipping the rear wheel down the braking bumps on the straight run. The picture doesn't show the giant teeter-totter, razor wire or handrails, but the graphic artist kinda sucked.

Attachments

#7 ·
Man guys. I appreciate the SDMBA and the efforts

but that is one the very few technical climbs in PQ.

I know I will get flamed and there will be haters but really, lets consider leaving some things natural. That trail is and will always be far from "singletrack"

Again efforts are appreciated.

#8 ·
agreed but wellllllllllllllllllll

Ray Dolor said:
Keep in mind the Big Picture here, too, OCD.......as the trail user group in this area that is easily the MAJORITY user group, we have been consistently shut out by the elite minorities. By making a show of force both on trailwork days AND at the CAC meetings, we will start to to turn things back in the right direction.

Basically, if we all work together, they will have no choice but to Do the Right Thing....
I agree about the working together. Im not out to make any foes but I would just like to see some things left natural. If everything is groomed, well, then we will have miles of fabulous groomed trails. PQ has miles upon miles of groomed fire road, a rutted out trail or two adds a bit into the mix.

Unfortunately, 4/26 seems to be on of the worst days to host a trail maintenance event.
With 2 fairly large (annual or bi-annual-- spring/fall) races that day and a Santa Cruz Demo day at Hodges (in addition to the rest of life), the crowd available for trail maintenance must surely be thinned.

#9 ·
That trail

ocd said:

I know I will get flamed and there will be haters but really, lets consider leaving some things natural. That trail is and will always be far from "singletrack"

Please dont take this as a flame, but I would not call that a technical climb. It takes some effort to climb it, but it is not a skill test in any shape or form, AND especially the section that is being rehabilitated....it is straight as hell, without obstacle, and takes no immagination or skill to get up. Agreed?

I too get annoyed when good intentioned people feel the need to clear the trail of rocks etc on my local trails, but having a turn or two installed on the Shitz just might end up making it more challenging in the long run, so dont judge too quickly.

There really is no alternative. If we did nothing and did leave it be, then we are one step closer to accepting the fate of having more bridle-path installed to connect what is left of the upper Mesa, like the section between the powerlines and upper Shitz. The goal is to be one step further away, not closer to the irrigated walls and flat paths.

#10 ·
Well Said

ocd said:

IVE AREADY VOICED MY concerns they told me they are going ahead anyway even if it means making the trail worse. that trail is good for horses. hikers and mtbs as is. if you are at all concerned please speak up before its to late.

#11 ·
agreed but for the area

rathbone said:
Please dont take this as a flame, but I would not call that a technical climb. It takes some effort to climb it, but it is not a skill test in any shape or form, AND especially the section that is being rehabilitated....it is straight as hell, without obstacle, and takes no immagination or skill to get up. Agreed?
Agreed but in a canyon of fireroads, it is something.

#13 ·
mtbcat said:
IVE AREADY VOICED MY concerns they told me they are going ahead anyway even if it means making the trail worse. that trail is good for horses. hikers and mtbs as is. if you are at all concerned please speak up before its to late.
Unfortunately SDMBA doesn't make the final decisions on trail design and routs, it's the SD Park and Rec that makes those decisions, SDMBA can only make suggestions on the best rout or design, I wish we had the authority but unfortunately we don't, If I had the authority I would make a 10' drop at the top and a jump at the bottom going into the pond.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
pond jump

TCB said:
Unfortunately SDMBA doesn't make the final decisions on trail design and routs, it's the SD Park and Rec that makes those decisions, SDMBA can only make suggestions on the best rout or design, I wish we had the authority but unfortunately we don't, If I had the authority I would make a 10' drop at the top and a jump at the bottom going into the pond.:thumbsup:
make sure to put a go around route my horse has a 5 ft rule and cant swim !! :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Not many people are aware, but

mtbcat said:
The Rangers already have closed two very worthy PQ downhill/uphill trails in the last 8 months, AND they were going to close off the Shitz.for the same reasons.

The only reason the Shitz is not fenced off now is that knew that they get cries of bloody murder about it, but even that alone would not have been enough. Unless they were presented an option to solve the perceived problems which the SDMBA and others like EBasil provided, along with the skills and bodies/help to get it done, it was only a matter of time. It was next in line for "habitat restoration".

#16 ·
New Singletrack in PQ

Well, by this time tomorrow, we should be well on the way to completing a section of new singletrack in Los Penasquitos Canyon. If you're coming out, I understand that SDMBA Mike has scored some serious schwag from Pro-Built Wheels and other sponsors, so there may be a double bonus: trail and gear.

This morning, as I was spotting Sting-Eze on the bites I got from the large black flies at the duck pond a week ago, it came to me that I should post a reminder: if you've got insect repellant and sunscreen, use it. I also suggest you bring more water than a camelback holds...I like one frozen and one chilled bottle of gatorade in a backpack.

I'm gonna miss the meeting at Pro-Built at 8am, so that I can assist the city guy to transport gear down to the duck pond before you guys arrive. When you get to the top of Cobblestone, I know there will be more to carry down.

See you all tomorrow!

#17 ·
Some pics from todays trail building

It was great to get out and work on the trails for a morning. I'll make it a point to do this more often. A great group of guys and gals all pitching in to make this rutted trail more ridable.

I unfortunately did not get Jorge's contact info. If someone who knows this would kindly PM me and let me know how to reach him, then we can connect up for a ride.

I'm a really lame photographer, but here's a couple of pics I took about halfway through the process of adding one of many S curves into this hill. You can see the banked berm on the left of the first pic. This is looking up the hill from about halfway:

And another looking down at the progress below:

Fun, fun, fun!

-- Paul M.

#19 ·
So, from the remants of a straight-shot fire road that had rutted deeply, 50 volunteers made a sinuous singletrack, repaired eroded horse steps and created a berm-shot around them. It's all watered in and ready to ride.

Attachments

#22 ·
Just wanted to give some major props to Pro Built Wheels for hosting the after party BBQ and for providing the best raffle items. The grand prize (after most of us won GU and chain lube) was like a 6 or 7 day stay on the Hawaiian island of your choice. Way to go Sara! BTW, I still think I should have been able to win twice; two waivers = two entries.

I also had the chance to take a spin around LPQ with the "Thoroughbred Club" (Mike, John, Sara and others). These guys are no joke. We rode some really cool out of the way trails and finished by coming down the "new" Sh!t$ trail.

Great day and met some really cool new people to ride with.

- Brian

#23 ·
Solo 1 said:
Just wanted to give some major props to Pro Built Wheels for hosting the after party BBQ and for providing the best raffle items. The grand prize (after most of us won GU and chain lube) was like a 6 or 7 day stay on the Hawaiian island of your choice. Way to go Sara! BTW, I still think I should have been able to win twice; two waivers = two entries.

I also had the chance to take a spin around LPQ with the "Thoroughbred Club" (Mike, John, Sara and others). These guys are no joke. We rode some really cool out of the way trails and finished by coming down the "new" Sh!t$ trail.

Great day and met some really cool new people to ride with.

- Brian
what did you think of our sanitization? did it still smell like lysol? i'm hoping to ride it either later today or tomorrow...

#24 ·
el_d00der1n0 said:
what did you think of our sanitization? did it still smell like lysol? i'm hoping to ride it either later today or tomorrow...
Yeah, it still smelled a little funky, but not like Lysol! IMO, I wouldn't call it sanitized, I just think the challenge has changed and the trail is a little more sustainable until a new route is approved.

Before it was more so dropping into the steep, loose section at the top, crossing the ruts running down the middle of the trail a couple times and then hitting the stair section.

Now, once the berms get packed down, the challenge is how fast can you rail the turns down, sort of like a mini slalom. And the turns get tighter towards the bottom.

Anybody who thinks it's any "easier" now just needs to go a little faster down it:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Solo 1 said:
Yeah, it still smelled a little funky, but not like Lysol! IMO, I wouldn't call it sanitized, I just think the challenge has changed and the trail is a little more sustainable until a new route is approved.

Before it was more so dropping into the steep, loose section at the top, crossing the ruts running down the middle of the trail a couple times and then hitting the stair section.

Now, once the berms get packed down, the challenge is how fast can you rail the turns down, sort of like a mini slalom. And the turns get tighter towards the bottom.

Anybody who thinks it's any "easier" now just needs to go a little faster down it:thumbsup:
i can't wait to try it. unfortunately, it looks like the first time will be at night.

snoodge to the mother f'n noodge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.