Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ss poser

Trails near Wildamar

anyone know of any good trails near wildamar? i came across a site once, but can't find it now. didn't spot anything on trail reviews. tks!!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is some stuff.

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    There is some stuff.
    very helpful. thank you!

notabouttoseeyourlight
    what kind of riding are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Tink is looking for some xc riding...singletrack, nice climbs, good downhills and etc.
    Last edited by Burdman; 11-17-2005 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    That's almost as vague as the first reply in this thread.
    And you're brilliant! If you don't know of any trails in the area, then why bother posting?

Tink is looking for some good single track riding (Intermediate/Advanced).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Near Wildomar there's the Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta. Not super challenging, but it's close. We do about a 10 mile loop there that takes about an hour. It's mostly singletrack, but watch out for hikers and equestrians.

There's San Juan Trail off of 74 toward OC. 11 mile climb and 11 mile downhill (up and down) that's full of switchbacks and cliff-ish riding, and some rooty-foresty stuff at the top.

There's Idyllwild - Hurkey Creek is the 9 mile race course loop. Does include a little fire road, and pavement back toward the beginning.

There's also a ton of trails in San Diego, and a lot in OC and farther north.

Supposedly there was going to be a trail system with Butterfield Stagecoach? I saw a flyer for opening weekend but haven't heard anything about it. Also in the coming months there should be open trails at Vail Lake Resort, which is outside of Temecula.

If there's no interest in driving, etc. then the above info isn't really useful. Maybe other people know of more local trails, but we live in the area and usually drive to Escondido, Idyllwild, and will probably start driving to the OC more often to hit up trails.

mtbr member
    The only good trail at Santa Rosa Plateau is the Wiashal trail AKA Superman. The last I heard its still closed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The rest is decent single track. It's not difficult, but it's better than sitting on the couch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I guess I was the only one that thought my joke was funny. Consider it s free bump.

Anyway, yes, superman is still closed, and slaughterhouse is overgrown and rutted. I typically ride sylvan 3x a week. Its close, and a nice place. Vail is already open, plenty of trails out there. San Juan Trail off of Ortega. There is also more stuff up behind Santa Rosa, by the radio towers.

Then Idlywild with its multiple loops.

ss poser
    That's almost as vague as the first reply in this thread.
    tink is looking for something fun, slightly technical (read equivalent to chiquito/viejo tie). i like rocks & drops, but nothing over my head- literally. burdman wants me to practice my switchbacks, but i'll save that for sjt. single track is preferable but don't mind fire road if it's on the up, as long as i get some st on the down. is that more specific for ya'll?

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Near Wildomar there's the Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta. Not super challenging, but it's close. We do about a 10 mile loop there that takes about an hour. It's mostly singletrack, but watch out for hikers and equestrians.

There's San Juan Trail off of 74 toward OC. 11 mile climb and 11 mile downhill (up and down) that's full of switchbacks and cliff-ish riding, and some rooty-foresty stuff at the top.

There's Idyllwild - Hurkey Creek is the 9 mile race course loop. Does include a little fire road, and pavement back toward the beginning.

There's also a ton of trails in San Diego, and a lot in OC and farther north.

Supposedly there was going to be a trail system with Butterfield Stagecoach? I saw a flyer for opening weekend but haven't heard anything about it. Also in the coming months there should be open trails at Vail Lake Resort, which is outside of Temecula.

If there's no interest in driving, etc. then the above info isn't really useful. Maybe other people know of more local trails, but we live in the area and usually drive to Escondido, Idyllwild, and will probably start driving to the OC more often to hit up trails.
    tks for the post. very helpful. we did san juan/viejo tie/chiquito last sat. we're from oc, so we ride those trails regularly. maybe take a looksee at the plateau. tks!

ss poser
    Why bother answering when the parameters were so vague?

That's better. Do you feel better now too?

How does one gauge intermediate/advanced for someone they do not know? If the reviews in this website are any indication of how some may feel about their riding prowess and their ratings of trails in relation to that, we may as well all get road bikes.

I tink tink needs a better spokesperson, mon (all puns intended).
    well, gee, how does one, or all for that matter gauge intermediate/advanced in the guidebooks. there's obviously a set of parameters to go by. maybe you should try using those, or better yet, don't participate at all...

ss poser

directions or lbs

ok, so since we all seem to agree on the plateau, how do i get there, or can someone recommend a lbs in wildamar? tks for everyone's positive input!!!

mechmann_mtb
    santa rosa plateau isn't all that close to wildomar.

i have detailed directions on geoladders.com for the route allison and i ride.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...rt=1&route=240

you can also find detailed routes for Hurkey Creek and Thomas Mtn there.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=189

if you want to ride some time hit up aword4you or me and we would be glad to have the company on one of our rides.

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    santa rosa plateau isn't all that close to wildomar.

i have detailed directions on geoladders.com for the route allison and i ride.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...rt=1&route=240

you can also find detailed routes for Hurkey Creek and Thomas Mtn there.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=189

if you want to ride some time hit up aword4you or me and we would be glad to have the company on one of our rides.
    we'll be staying off clinton keith rd on turkey day. thinking to ride then. ya'll game? it'd be nice to have a tour guide!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are you guys available all weekend? I'm sure we'll ride at least 3 days (not full days, but during the day at some point). I'd like to check out Whiting Ranch, and we may head up to Idyllwild as well. May do a quick ride at Santa Rosa, but not entirely sure.

In SD, I know, but I'd like to try out Elfin and Del Mar Mesa.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    you could stop by back alley bikes off of the clinton keith exit of the 15 in murrieta, thats pretty close. there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    We'll be there on Thanksgiving Day and would like to get a ride before we're stuffed. On Friday, we're heading up to Big Bear to do some riding on the weekend.

Thanks for the invite and if you're schedule permits; we'd be more then happy to hook up for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Are you guys available all weekend? I'm sure we'll ride at least 3 days (not full days, but during the day at some point). I'd like to check out Whiting Ranch, and we may head up to Idyllwild as well. May do a quick ride at Santa Rosa, but not entirely sure.

In SD, I know, but I'd like to try out Elfin and Del Mar Mesa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    IE is off Los Alamos, but I doubt either will be open on Thanksgiving.

If you've only got time for a short ride on turkey day, at least hit up the Plateau. It's not spectacular and you won't really be testing yourself, but you can get in a nice hour long loop.

We're trying to decide what we're doing. We may be doing an all-day ride.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    IE Bikes is off the 215 at the Los Alamos exit. To get to the 215, you have to get off the 15 south at Murrieta Hot Springs Rd. Make a left and then get on the 215 north. Going north on the 215, get off at Los Alamos and turn right. Make a left at the 1st signal. They're in the back LEFT corner of the shopping center right next to the dry cleaners. Ask for Matt and tell him I sent you. He'll treat you right. I'll be there in the morning getting my brakes fixed. And FWIW I am traveling from the OC to Murrieta 'cause Matt's the only one I trust with my bike.
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 11-19-2005 at 09:51 AM.

ss poser
    Whenever I look at a guide boook, it's easy to consider the source because more often than not, there is a bio on the author(s). Then again, I don't ever buy guide books and trust maps and instinct more, so your answering my question with your question does not really pertain to me. Maybe you should try using maps, or better yet, don't ride anywhere new at all. I do admire how you leashed your dog in this thread though. His virtual puffed out chest was pretty funny.
    well, here's a bio for you. i ride w/the warrior's society dog soldiers. i love ramero & jesusita in santa barbara. gooseberry mesa is a blast. i love san juan at night & my favorite ride is viejo tie to chiquito to the candy store. i've done pinos & smash face. you ever do smash face. have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?

oh, & my dog just might be able to to chase your tail up any hill & catch your pathetic arse, oh, but wait, like you said, 'you're just a net geek who probably doesn't even ride', right? right. that's what i thought. you ought to try it. it's a blast.

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    you could stop by back alley bikes off of the clinton keith exit of the 15 in murrieta, thats pretty close. there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    tks. i'll keep them in mind for our next trip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=tink bell] have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?
    [QUOTE]

With credentials like that maybe I'm a newb and a net geek too. Where's smash face. Is it legal? Details, please.

ss poser
    [QUOTE=mtbski][QUOTE=tink bell] have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?

With credentials like that maybe I'm a newb and a net geek too. Where's smash face. Is it legal? Details, please.
    are you martin? i remember your handle from last season w/silverspot & krash...

yes, smash face is legal. it in the clevland forest... off main divide. hard to keep on it. need to go w/someone who knows the way...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast