Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406

    Trails near Wildamar

    anyone know of any good trails near wildamar? i came across a site once, but can't find it now. didn't spot anything on trail reviews. tks!!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    448
    There is some stuff.

  3. #3
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    There is some stuff.
    very helpful. thank you!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  4. #4
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,671
    what kind of riding are you looking for?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    185
    Tink is looking for some xc riding...singletrack, nice climbs, good downhills and etc.
    Last edited by Burdman; 11-17-2005 at 12:06 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    That's almost as vague as the first reply in this thread.
    And you're brilliant! If you don't know of any trails in the area, then why bother posting?

    Tink is looking for some good single track riding (Intermediate/Advanced).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Near Wildomar there's the Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta. Not super challenging, but it's close. We do about a 10 mile loop there that takes about an hour. It's mostly singletrack, but watch out for hikers and equestrians.

    There's San Juan Trail off of 74 toward OC. 11 mile climb and 11 mile downhill (up and down) that's full of switchbacks and cliff-ish riding, and some rooty-foresty stuff at the top.

    There's Idyllwild - Hurkey Creek is the 9 mile race course loop. Does include a little fire road, and pavement back toward the beginning.

    There's also a ton of trails in San Diego, and a lot in OC and farther north.

    Supposedly there was going to be a trail system with Butterfield Stagecoach? I saw a flyer for opening weekend but haven't heard anything about it. Also in the coming months there should be open trails at Vail Lake Resort, which is outside of Temecula.

    If there's no interest in driving, etc. then the above info isn't really useful. Maybe other people know of more local trails, but we live in the area and usually drive to Escondido, Idyllwild, and will probably start driving to the OC more often to hit up trails.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    306
    The only good trail at Santa Rosa Plateau is the Wiashal trail AKA Superman. The last I heard its still closed.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    The rest is decent single track. It's not difficult, but it's better than sitting on the couch.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    448
    I guess I was the only one that thought my joke was funny. Consider it s free bump.

    Anyway, yes, superman is still closed, and slaughterhouse is overgrown and rutted. I typically ride sylvan 3x a week. Its close, and a nice place. Vail is already open, plenty of trails out there. San Juan Trail off of Ortega. There is also more stuff up behind Santa Rosa, by the radio towers.

    Then Idlywild with its multiple loops.

  11. #11
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    That's almost as vague as the first reply in this thread.
    tink is looking for something fun, slightly technical (read equivalent to chiquito/viejo tie). i like rocks & drops, but nothing over my head- literally. burdman wants me to practice my switchbacks, but i'll save that for sjt. single track is preferable but don't mind fire road if it's on the up, as long as i get some st on the down. is that more specific for ya'll?
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  12. #12
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Near Wildomar there's the Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta. Not super challenging, but it's close. We do about a 10 mile loop there that takes about an hour. It's mostly singletrack, but watch out for hikers and equestrians.

    There's San Juan Trail off of 74 toward OC. 11 mile climb and 11 mile downhill (up and down) that's full of switchbacks and cliff-ish riding, and some rooty-foresty stuff at the top.

    There's Idyllwild - Hurkey Creek is the 9 mile race course loop. Does include a little fire road, and pavement back toward the beginning.

    There's also a ton of trails in San Diego, and a lot in OC and farther north.

    Supposedly there was going to be a trail system with Butterfield Stagecoach? I saw a flyer for opening weekend but haven't heard anything about it. Also in the coming months there should be open trails at Vail Lake Resort, which is outside of Temecula.

    If there's no interest in driving, etc. then the above info isn't really useful. Maybe other people know of more local trails, but we live in the area and usually drive to Escondido, Idyllwild, and will probably start driving to the OC more often to hit up trails.
    tks for the post. very helpful. we did san juan/viejo tie/chiquito last sat. we're from oc, so we ride those trails regularly. maybe take a looksee at the plateau. tks!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  13. #13
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Why bother answering when the parameters were so vague?



    That's better. Do you feel better now too?

    How does one gauge intermediate/advanced for someone they do not know? If the reviews in this website are any indication of how some may feel about their riding prowess and their ratings of trails in relation to that, we may as well all get road bikes.

    I tink tink needs a better spokesperson, mon (all puns intended).
    well, gee, how does one, or all for that matter gauge intermediate/advanced in the guidebooks. there's obviously a set of parameters to go by. maybe you should try using those, or better yet, don't participate at all...
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  14. #14
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406

    directions or lbs

    ok, so since we all seem to agree on the plateau, how do i get there, or can someone recommend a lbs in wildamar? tks for everyone's positive input!!!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  15. #15
    mechmann_mtb
    Guest
    santa rosa plateau isn't all that close to wildomar.

    i have detailed directions on geoladders.com for the route allison and i ride.

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...rt=1&route=240

    you can also find detailed routes for Hurkey Creek and Thomas Mtn there.

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=189

    if you want to ride some time hit up aword4you or me and we would be glad to have the company on one of our rides.

  16. #16
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    santa rosa plateau isn't all that close to wildomar.

    i have detailed directions on geoladders.com for the route allison and i ride.

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...rt=1&route=240

    you can also find detailed routes for Hurkey Creek and Thomas Mtn there.

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=189

    if you want to ride some time hit up aword4you or me and we would be glad to have the company on one of our rides.
    we'll be staying off clinton keith rd on turkey day. thinking to ride then. ya'll game? it'd be nice to have a tour guide!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Are you guys available all weekend? I'm sure we'll ride at least 3 days (not full days, but during the day at some point). I'd like to check out Whiting Ranch, and we may head up to Idyllwild as well. May do a quick ride at Santa Rosa, but not entirely sure.

    In SD, I know, but I'd like to try out Elfin and Del Mar Mesa.

  18. #18
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,671
    you could stop by back alley bikes off of the clinton keith exit of the 15 in murrieta, thats pretty close. there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    185
    We'll be there on Thanksgiving Day and would like to get a ride before we're stuffed. On Friday, we're heading up to Big Bear to do some riding on the weekend.

    Thanks for the invite and if you're schedule permits; we'd be more then happy to hook up for a ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Are you guys available all weekend? I'm sure we'll ride at least 3 days (not full days, but during the day at some point). I'd like to check out Whiting Ranch, and we may head up to Idyllwild as well. May do a quick ride at Santa Rosa, but not entirely sure.

    In SD, I know, but I'd like to try out Elfin and Del Mar Mesa.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    IE is off Los Alamos, but I doubt either will be open on Thanksgiving.

    If you've only got time for a short ride on turkey day, at least hit up the Plateau. It's not spectacular and you won't really be testing yourself, but you can get in a nice hour long loop.

    We're trying to decide what we're doing. We may be doing an all-day ride.

  21. #21
    Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Reputation: SilverSpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    IE Bikes is off the 215 at the Los Alamos exit. To get to the 215, you have to get off the 15 south at Murrieta Hot Springs Rd. Make a left and then get on the 215 north. Going north on the 215, get off at Los Alamos and turn right. Make a left at the 1st signal. They're in the back LEFT corner of the shopping center right next to the dry cleaners. Ask for Matt and tell him I sent you. He'll treat you right. I'll be there in the morning getting my brakes fixed. And FWIW I am traveling from the OC to Murrieta 'cause Matt's the only one I trust with my bike.
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 11-19-2005 at 08:51 AM.

  22. #22
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Whenever I look at a guide boook, it's easy to consider the source because more often than not, there is a bio on the author(s). Then again, I don't ever buy guide books and trust maps and instinct more, so your answering my question with your question does not really pertain to me. Maybe you should try using maps, or better yet, don't ride anywhere new at all. I do admire how you leashed your dog in this thread though. His virtual puffed out chest was pretty funny.
    well, here's a bio for you. i ride w/the warrior's society dog soldiers. i love ramero & jesusita in santa barbara. gooseberry mesa is a blast. i love san juan at night & my favorite ride is viejo tie to chiquito to the candy store. i've done pinos & smash face. you ever do smash face. have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?

    oh, & my dog just might be able to to chase your tail up any hill & catch your pathetic arse, oh, but wait, like you said, 'you're just a net geek who probably doesn't even ride', right? right. that's what i thought. you ought to try it. it's a blast.
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  23. #23
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    you could stop by back alley bikes off of the clinton keith exit of the 15 in murrieta, thats pretty close. there is also IE bikes off of the 215 and for some reason I can't remember the freaking exit name!
    tks. i'll keep them in mind for our next trip!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333
    [QUOTE=tink bell] have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?
    [QUOTE]

    With credentials like that maybe I'm a newb and a net geek too. Where's smash face. Is it legal? Details, please.

  25. #25
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    [QUOTE=mtbski][QUOTE=tink bell] have YOU ever even HEARD of smash face?

    With credentials like that maybe I'm a newb and a net geek too. Where's smash face. Is it legal? Details, please.
    are you martin? i remember your handle from last season w/silverspot & krash...

    yes, smash face is legal. it in the clevland forest... off main divide. hard to keep on it. need to go w/someone who knows the way...
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    are you martin? i remember your handle from last season w/silverspot & krash...

    yes, smash face is legal. it in the clevland forest... off main divide. hard to keep on it. need to go w/someone who knows the way...
    Yes it's me long time no see. I've got to hook up with you guys soon. Just did Chiquito the other day. Rode from the candy store up Chiquito up to Viejo Tie and then returned the same way and bombed down that bad boy. It was an awesome ride! Heading out to Palm Springs & Idylwild this weekend for a bigtime singletrack fix. Let's ride again soon.

    Martin

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Whenever I look at a guide boook, it's easy to consider the source because more often than not, there is a bio on the author(s). Then again, I don't ever buy guide books and trust maps and instinct more, so your answering my question with your question does not really pertain to me. Maybe you should try using maps, or better yet, don't ride anywhere new at all. I do admire how you leashed your dog in this thread though. His virtual puffed out chest was pretty funny.



    "Now you funny too" - George Thorogood
    My girl rips you a new one...and that's all you can come back with? That was weak!
    Mr. Nugent would be very disappointed in you.

  28. #28
    mechmann_mtb
    Guest
    looks like the plan is sort of solidifying for thursday.

    we will most likely be heading up to Idyllwild on thursday. as of right now i would like to ride Thomas Mtn and then hit Hurkey Creek.

    you guys are probably quite a bit more advanced than i am and definitely way more advanced than allison.

    if you still want to go along that would be fine by me. PM either of us if you want to go.

  29. #29
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Birds of a feather, huh? The both of you with all of your chest puffing and posturing on the internet are very amusing. The only thing that was ripped was my sides from laughing. Why don't you contact Ted and ask him just how disappointed he might be in me? That would be a hoot.

    As far as that SCE trail that ends at the mouth of Ladd Canyon goes, do you all have a 24 hour webcam on it, or some gnome in the bushes reporting everyone who rides it? Didn't think so.
    why don't you go back to the fully loop you enjoy so much?
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  30. #30
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    I must have missed your coronation. HAHAHAHAHA
    that's me! princess tink!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  31. #31
    Mmmmmm Beer!
    Reputation: CPATCRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    617
    This S*@T is just to funny! Now you kids play nice OK. Be nice to her she bakes some mean peanut butter cookies. I'll be there on the 10th Tink so don't give them all away!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Birds of a feather, huh? The both of you with all of your chest puffing and posturing on the internet are very amusing. The only thing that was ripped was my sides from laughing. Why don't you contact Ted and ask him just how disappointed he might be in me? That would be a hoot.

    As far as that SCE trail that ends at the mouth of Ladd Canyon goes, do you all have a 24 hour webcam on it, or some gnome in the bushes reporting everyone who rides it? Didn't think so.

    Hey Medheadted,
    Do you actually own/ride a MTB or do you just like to quote things you read in the newspaper about trails, in an effort to make yourself sound legit?

    Come on out and ride with my girl and myself sometime. We'll take you on some nice easy trails around here that I'm sure a serious rider such as yourself (anyone with a screen name like yours must be a serious rider) would have no problem with.
    But I do need to warn you, those reflectors on your handle bar and wheels may get broken.

  33. #33
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    This S*@T is just to funny! Now you kids play nice OK. Be nice to her she bakes some mean peanut butter cookies. I'll be there on the 10th Tink so don't give them all away!
    hey you!! i'll bake you & bob your pb cookies!! i'm getting pink, too!! actually, building up a duty ss. it's gonna be SWEET!!!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  34. #34
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848
    [QUOTE=mechmann_mtb]santa rosa plateau isn't all that close to wildomar.QUOTE]


    Uhh, actually it's really close. Unless you don't consider a 10 minute drive close.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Dude or dudette, back away from the peace pipe. Remember that the founders of that club have largely left, including most of the RADS, Sprocketheads and whatnot (check the old newsletters for the founders that are largely gone). It means nothing other than the fact the jersey is a shill for C. Vargas and his meglomaniacal tendencies.

    As for rides, check out the singletrack from S. Main Divide to Wildomar (near the road to Wildomar from Ortega/Main Divide). Cool, fun and lots of climbing. From there you can connect to the plateau, hook out and up and over Clinton Keith, if not some of the more extreme trails on that side.

  36. #36
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by punkndrublic

    As for rides, check out the singletrack from S. Main Divide to Wildomar (near the road to Wildomar from Ortega/Main Divide). Cool, fun and lots of climbing. From there you can connect to the plateau, hook out and up and over Clinton Keith, if not some of the more extreme trails on that side.
    are you referring to e. horsethief? tks!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    tink is looking for something fun, slightly technical (read equivalent to chiquito/viejo tie). i like rocks & drops, but nothing over my head- literally. burdman wants me to practice my switchbacks, but i'll save that for sjt. single track is preferable but don't mind fire road if it's on the up, as long as i get some st on the down. is that more specific for ya'll?
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Simpson Park in Hemet. Haven't been out that way in a couple of years but there's a fun trail net out there.

  38. #38
    ss poser
    Reputation: tink bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdoo
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Simpson Park in Hemet. Haven't been out that way in a couple of years but there's a fun trail net out there.
    tks, but i think hemet would've been farther than we wanted to commute anyway. since we're talking IE, isn't there riding in mo valley?
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Epic Mtn Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    tks, but i think hemet would've been farther than we wanted to commute anyway. since we're talking IE, isn't there riding in mo valley?
    Inland Empire rides:

    Soutridge, Fontana = great XC course and and some wild DH stuff (site of a lot of races)

    Sycamore Canyon Park in Riverside= lots of XC stuff to do, you can squeeze out 20+ miles out of there

    Bonelli Park in San Dimas= good XC riding, lots of up and down type stuff

    Marshall Canyon, Claremont Wilderness Park & Potato Mountain ( La Verne/ Claremont Area) good climbing and great single track.

    Cow Canyon Saddle ( mount baldy ), high altitude riding

    Cucamonga Canyon= out in the middle of nowhere type riding, lol

    anymore info. contact me or go to www.socaltrailriders.org for a map of the trailheads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •