mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Trails near UCSC

Hey all,

Well, it's that time when college applications are due I did early decision to Cal Poly, that's my first choice, but I still need to apply to a few more schools.

Was wondering, are there any (decent) trails within riding distance of the UCSC campus? I'll have an 08 Fuel EX 9 for all the XC/AM stuff, then a Transition Blindside for shuttle days and races.

Pics are a plus as well!

Also, any trails within riding distance from UCSB?

Will also post in Norcal forum.

-Matt

Birthday Collector
    MattP - there is a great group of trails in the UCSC area. The trails are mostly on University property, and I think that they are technically off limits, but everyone rides there. Pogonip forest is the access point that I use most of the time off of Hwy 9, and you can also get there via the campus or if you come in over the top of Wilder Ranch State Park (pretty good riding on it's own). Most of the UCSC stuff is tight twisty singletrack through the redwoods and has lots of little sections that are almost too fun. Not a huge area, but there are so many trails you can keep busy for hours. On the other side of Empire Grade is the top of Wilder Ranch (also accessible about 2 miles north of town on Hwy 1) and this has a bunch of legal singletrack and fireroads. Pretty good riding, nothing that is absolutely outstanding on it's own, but really fun XC/Trail stuff. I routinely drive the hour from the East Bay to go over to this area to ride with friends. We have a blast and there are some good taquerias in both SC and Felton. You are also near the Soquel Demonstration Forest (drive to get there), Nisene Marks and some other parks in the area. It would be a great place to live, but not sure about going to school there - too many distractions!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

jms
    mtbr member

You could ride a different trail

Seriously, you could ride a different trail every day for a month in that area. I don't miss Santa Cruz, but I do miss the quality, quantity and variety of trails in that area. You wouldn't be disappointed with the riding @ there. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Also, any trails within riding distance from UCSB?
    There are some places you can ride from campus at UCSB, but not too much and not so much variety. There are some great rides in the general area, but you'd need to drive to them. UCSC is the only UC campus I can think of with good mountain biking within riding distance of campus. UCLA, UCI and UCSD also all have great riding in the general area, but not accessible without a car.

mtbr member
    Cool, I decided to early decision to Cal Poly as well. I really hope I get in since there's supposed to be some good biking up there. Sorry I can't really recommend any trails near UCSC but it's on my list as well as UCSB so I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope to see you around.

I am lost, I'm no guide

The UCSC trails are ILLEGAL

Furthermore, w/ the proposed expansion of the campus, most are going to be wiped out as well to make way for new buildings,dorms, etc...
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    Furthermore, w/ the proposed expansion of the campus, most are going to be wiped out as well to make way for new buildings,dorms, etc...
    Yeah - they technically are ILLEGAL, but one of the local authorities told my friends that they don't mind the MTB'ers on the trails - keeps the marijuana growers from being able to set-up in there - which used to be a big problem for them! Some of the area is slated for being developed as the campus grows - but most of it is left alone... There will be some sweet trails lost to dorms though...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

I am lost, I'm no guide

I hope you don't take your friends advice too often!

Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    Yeah - they technically are ILLEGAL, but one of the local authorities told my friends that they don't mind the MTB'ers on the trails - keeps the marijuana growers from being able to set-up in there - which used to be a big problem for them! Some of the area is slated for being developed as the campus grows - but most of it is left alone... There will be some sweet trails lost to dorms though...
    They ticketed a bunch of people 2 weeks ago for riding the trails! $200+ tickets.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I started my passion for mountain biking when I attended UCSC from 1989-1991 on the trails behind Merrill/Crown college.......I did not realize those trails are illegal now....that is too bad.....

UCSC is funny because although almost everyone brings a bike to campus as a freshman, most people soon realize that you have to be really hard-core to bike around the campus because of the hilly topography......in the end you only see a handful of people actually riding around (the rest of the bikes stay locked away)