mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Trails near La Jolla?

Hi, I'm from Utah and we are heading down to the La Jolla area for a vacation this weekend. Can anybody recommend a good trail or two around La Jolla? I'm a technical/DH junkie, but I've love to ride anything while I'm down there. I'll be bringing my Kona Honzo 29er...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Not much technical/DH around there but a couple of riding spots good for a ~ 2hr ride are San Clemente/Rose Canyon (beware of poison oak) or Los Penasquitos Canyon.

Mountainbikebill.com has basic maps although they don't show all the options or even current options. If you can find the areas on Strava from his description you will find the goods.

There is another small network at UCSD off I-5 at Genesee and John Hopkins Dr. Its good for an hour or so.

I am usually out of town on weekends but let us know what days you can ride and someone can probably show you around. These areas do have some cool trail and its worth it to get a tour as the best stuff is the hardest to find. All the spots I mentioned are riding distance from LJ.

There are other good riding spots beyond La Jolla but you would need to drive to them, 20min plus. If you are able or have time for that let us know too, carpools could be arranged if you are able to hook up with someone.

mtbr member
    dzilla - thanks for starting this thread, I will be in La Jolla 8/5 - 8/9 and am curious where to go as well.

evdog - if you are around this week, It would be great if you could show mw around.

Thanks
    Mark

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    If you are up for a drive go do Noble Canyon. It will take about 2 hours to drive there though but worth it if you have time. If I were you I would just ride the beach. Not very technical but stop at a bar and get a few beers in you. Makes riding the boardwalk interesting.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I work in La Jolla and live about 20 minutes away. I ride my bike in Utah. You should surf if you're in La Jolla. Rent a board in Pacific Beach (just south of La Jolla) and enjoy the ocean. You have great places to ride in Utah and nothing in La Jolla is going to approach that. Don't waste your time on a bike in La Jolla other than a beach cruiser.

Seriously.
    If not biking, then what?

^ have to agree. However, there is damn good mtbing to be had in San Diego if you are willing to drive east a bit.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    Hi, I'm from Utah and we are heading down to the La Jolla area for a vacation this weekend. Can anybody recommend a good trail or two around La Jolla? I'm a technical/DH junkie, but I've love to ride anything while I'm down there. I'll be bringing my Kona Honzo 29er...

Thanks!
    If you absolutely HAVE to ride a bike along the beach at low tide, ride a rental. You don't want to know what that would do to your Kona............
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Press a little harder on the right pedal and Noble Canyon is really only an hour away from La Jolla. If you are a technical downhill junky you should definitely ride Noble Canyon. Head east in the morning and there won't be any traffic. 52 east out of La Jolla to the 67 south to I-8 east to the 79 north. Mtn Bike Bill has the details. It's going to be warm this weekend so the earlier the better.
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you all for the good info.

- Mark194, I'll post what I end up riding and how it goes...

mtbr member
    Hi Mark, I actually rode tonight but hadn't seen your post unfortunately. What days are you in town? And dzilla when do you get in town and what times/days can you ride? And how much time do you guys have available to ride? I might be able to ride Friday after work. Not sure what is up for the weekend, I don't know yet if I can ride.

Another good place to look for local rides is dirttreaders.com, it probably has the most local rides posted, mostly in N county SD but some to Noble Canyon and other places too.

Its a good point that the stuff near La Jolla isn't near on par with what you have in UT or some other places. But there is some fun stuff and some of it pretty unique in SoCal. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from riding even local stuff, but if you are willing and/or able to drive a little ways there is some even funner stuff out there.

mtbr member
    If you can't make the drive to Noble, Los Penasquitos canyon is a 10 minute drive and actually has some decent albeit short downhill rides. The best trails are hidden however. To sum up the trail system is a flat fireroad that goes through the middle of the canyon with short downhill trails that extend from the middle that are out and backs of about 1-2 miles.

If DH/Bike park kind of riding your looking for, that's few and far between in SD. There's really only two places in my opinion that offer DH/Freeride Gravity level riding in SD and they're Anderson Truck Trail(World Cup) and Ted Williams.

Noble canyon is outstanding and is one of the best trails in SD but it absolutely is NOT a downhill paradise like some people make it out to be. It's without question an all mountain ride(but a DH ride to the oldtimer or XC rider) and it does have some substantial climbs that would be killer on a DH bike. It's a great trail but plan on climbing 9 miles on either the trail itself or a paved back road to reach the summit. If you're looking for technical trails like whistler ect, noble canyon is not it.

Your Honzo would be at home on Cobbles in Los Penasquitos canyon.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    Thank you all for the good info.

- Mark194, I'll post what I end up riding and how it goes...

mtbr member
    I will be out in August, from Sunday 8/4 - Friday 8/9. I know its over a month away, but let me know if you want to ride.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Hi Mark, I actually rode tonight but hadn't seen your post unfortunately. What days are you in town? And dzilla when do you get in town and what times/days can you ride? And how much time do you guys have available to ride? I might be able to ride Friday after work. Not sure what is up for the weekend, I don't know yet if I can ride.

Another good place to look for local rides is dirttreaders.com, it probably has the most local rides posted, mostly in N county SD but some to Noble Canyon and other places too.

Its a good point that the stuff near La Jolla isn't near on par with what you have in UT or some other places. But there is some fun stuff and some of it pretty unique in SoCal. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from riding even local stuff, but if you are willing and/or able to drive a little ways there is some even funner stuff out there.

mtbr member
    If I'm around I'm always down to ride. Post up in this thread closer to the date once you know what days you might be able to ride. I'll keep it subscribed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome. That video looks really fun. I'd like to go there on Saturday morning most likely. Anybody want to meet at the TH then? Btw, just arrived in Fontana earlier and quickly rode Hulda Crooks canyon trail which actually was a blast. Climbing right off the bat but rewarded with a great DH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    stop at a bar and get a few beers in you. Makes riding the boardwalk interesting.
    Doubt it. He's from Utah.