mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Trails near Julian, CA?

Any recommendations for trails in East SD county? I am going to be camping near Julian this week, and all the maps seem to show that the only "trails" around there are fire roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beer Please!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Trails near Julian, CA?

Thanks but I was hoping for some opinion on the trails such as in Cuyamaca. Looking at the maps it seems nothing is open to bikes except fire roads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Santa Ysabel would be the nearest one.
    Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve Trail Review and Pictures

Front Range, Colorado
    Julian is not that far from Big Laguna Trail / Noble Canyon. The best closest riding.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Julian is not that far from Big Laguna Trail / Noble Canyon. The best closest riding.
    What he said^^ Laguna/Noble is the best ride in the county.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nemnem View Post
    Thanks but I was hoping for some opinion on the trails such as in Cuyamaca. Looking at the maps it seems nothing is open to bikes except fire roads.

Although most (75%) of the trail miles in Cuyamaca are (Fire Road), there are some trails up in Cuyamaca that are single track.

In no particular order, I give you:

1. Far end of East Mesa FR continue on the Deer Park Trail past Granite Springs primitive campground to park boundary...continues on/into Laguna Rec Area.
    2. Parts of Cold Stream trail north of Visitor Center.
    3. Far end north of Green Valley FR, instead of left on Soapstone FR, keep going and take the single track (Upper Green Valley/La Cima/Ca Riding and Hiking trails) up and west around back to junction with Soapstone FR.
    4. Parts of Marty Minshall Trail in north end of park by Stonewall Mine. *Be careful which one you're on.
    5. The two Black Oak Trails near top of Middle Peak.
    6. East Side Trail that parallels the Hwy 79 from Oakzanita Springs to first parking area north of Green Valley CG.
    7. Oakzanita Peak Trail just off East Mesa FR to Oakzanita Peak.
    8. West Side Trail from bottom of Fern Flat FR to edge of Hwy 79 across from Visitor Center.

Or, just go here:
    Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

and here:
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/667/fi...out2010Rev.pdf

I've been hiking or biking on all trails in the park for over 20 years...and to my knowledge, this is the most complete list of single track trails up there...I may be missing a small spur or two...

Anybody else feel free to add, correct, clarify or modify my list.

PS: I believe the new General Plan was just approved 19Nov, and we might see some new Single Track Trails open up...cross your fingers!
    Last edited by RTSO2112; 1 Day Ago at 07:21 PM.

I'm your density
    Here's a fun route I did last year. It starts & ends near the Sweetwater bridge on CA-79 south of Cuyamaca lake. Big parking lot there, no permit/pass required.

Cuyamaca 20130622 by random_walk at Garmin Connect - Details

The trails to the south of the big loop are mostly single track. West Side and Cold Stream as described by RTSO2112 above in #2 & #8 above.

The short connector trail (Hill tr.) is the one that connects the small loop to the south with the big main loop. If you're heading north it is a grunt climb but can be cleaned, even on a SS. You have to want it.

The middle section (bottom half of the big loop) is fire road (Green Valley and Stonewall Creek).

The northern-most half of the big loop, and the out-and-back spur that runs NW-SE (La Cima), is a lot of single track or old jeep trail.

Where the main upper loop sort of pinches together -- that is where the Soapstone FR connects between the two sides. That is what RTSO2112 is describing in #3 above.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

most memberable
    May 2011
    Speaking of Mount Laguna...up here right now and Big Laguna lake is bone dry...I've seen it really low before and mushy, but never this dry. Not many riders up here...must b a holiday or sporting events keeping them away...more room for me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Speaking of Mount Laguna...up here right now and Big Laguna lake is bone dry...I've seen it really low before and mushy, but never this dry. Not many riders up here...must b a holiday or sporting events keeping them away...more room for me!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Chief. In the past, I've seen it dry for several years in a row, so while it is kind of depressing, it is not unprecedented.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving, Chief. In the past, I've seen it dry for several years in a row, so while it is kind of depressing, it is not unprecedented.
    All was not lost though...eventually a lot more riders came up. And, Water of the Woods was about 1/2 full, wasn't stagnant-looking like it was all summer...and had lots of ducks!

Met two 30-something-yo riders by the boulders near south end of the lake that were trying to find Nobel Canyon trail. They said they started out from Penny Pines TH. I told them they took a wrong turn at Albuquerque! It was around 9am and they said were going to go back and do Noble all the way down to Pine Valley TH. One of the riders had did it once before and looked fit enough to get back by sundown...the other rider never did NCT and looked about 100 lbs over-weight. When they said that, I paused and looked at the over-weight guy for a second and said..."are you guys sure you can make it all the way down and back up?" They asked me a few questions about the NCT and I told them of the hard parts and such. The big guy said they might ask for a shuttle ride back up at the bottom TH. I said, "why didn't you guys shuttle it...everybody else (except Chiefs) does?" *Ok, I added the "except Chiefs" part here for effect for KOP! As I rode away I felt a little apprehensive for them...and shook my head at the same time.

Front Range, Colorado
    All was not lost though...eventually a lot more riders came up. And, Water of the Woods was about 1/2 full, wasn't stagnant-looking like it was all summer...and had lots of ducks!

Met two 30-something-yo riders by the boulders near south end of the lake that were trying to find Nobel Canyon trail. They said they started out from Penny Pines TH. I told them they took a wrong turn at Albuquerque! It was around 9am and they said were going to go back and do Noble all the way down to Pine Valley TH. One of the riders had did it once before and looked fit enough to get back by sundown...the other rider never did NCT and looked about 100 lbs over-weight. When they said that, I paused and looked at the over-weight guy for a second and said..."are you guys sure you can make it all the way down and back up?" They asked me a few questions about the NCT and I told them of the hard parts and such. The big guy said they might ask for a shuttle ride back up at the bottom TH. I said, "why didn't you guys shuttle it...everybody else (except Chiefs) does?" *Ok, I added the "except Chiefs" part here for effect for KOP! As I rode away I felt a little apprehensive for them...and shook my head at the same time.
    Good call giving them a warning about it. Many a rider mis calculate the difficulty of technical sections and the amount of climbing involved going up it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good call giving them a warning about it. Many a rider mis calculate the difficulty of technical sections and the amount of climbing involved going up it.
    There's some climbing going down it as well!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

'Hunnert lb.s? That's morbidly obese, Chief. He'll die before he makes that climb, no matter what time of day it is.

I'll keep an eye on the local news for the"story at 11!"
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.