Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near China Lake/Ridgecrest

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Hurricane Jeff 
#1 ·
I'm heading to NSWC China Lake at the end of the month for a week long class. Any good rides nearby for the afternoon or weekend? Or is it just too hot? Should I bring my road bike instead?

#2 ·
It's going to be effing hot. China Lake is not that far south from Death Valley...:cool:

If you are looking for daily activity, I suggest bringing the road bike, doing a dawn ride on base, doing your class, then going for a mellow swim. Before or after your trip, it wouldn't be that far to Mammoth, Kernville, or Big Bear.

#3 ·
If you've got the space, I'd consider bringing the mountain bike as well. It's 0700 right now and a beautiful 73F outside. You can ride between 0630 and 0830 (or earlier) very comfortably, and there are some nice singletrack loops in the hills behind the community college. Another option is to drive into the Sequoia Nat'l Forest and do the trails up there, which are less than 2 hours away. Do a google search for the Cannell Meadow trail, a truly epic ride. Hope that helps...

Jason

#4 ·
Ridgecrest trails

I ride motorcycles near Ridgecrest,(Searless Station).There is a marked MTB trail network there.Try calling up a bike shop in Ridgecrest and asking them.Its a cool area but will be wayyy dry this time of year.It was a dustbowl all winter.But if thats where youre near and dont mind the heat, have at it.

#6 ·
They used to have a race "The Ridgecrest Desert Classic" which started at the Community College. I did the race back in the early 90's, and from what I remember, there were some pretty cool trails.
If you do have some time, head to Mammoth, its about 3.5- 4 hours north of Ridgecrest, it is worth the drive. To me, and I have'nt ridden everyplace in CA, Mammoth is the best riding that I have done, outside of Colorado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.