mtbr member

Trails near azusa?

My sister lives in Azusa, are there any trails close by? Should I bring my bike when we come down to visit her?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You would be crazy if you didn't bring your bike. There is some great riding within10 miles to the east or west of Azusa. Even more beyond that. You have Monrovia Canyon to the west which is a really nice fire road just north of the town of Monrovia and Chantry Flats where there is either fire road or singletrack north of Arcadia. And to the east you have the Monroe Truck Trail north of the town of Glendora and Marshall Canyon north of Laverne. You can pick up maps at Helen's Cycles in Arcadia. You can get a map and ride in the Chantry Flat area which is pretty much straight north of the bike shop. The guys there can tell you what's up too. there;s a lot more but that should get you going.

mtbr member
    Thanks, we're skipping christmas down south this year, but probably will be down for spring break. I want to be prepared this time i go down. Seems like its Monrovia canyon that she lives up next to, but i might be wrong. So is it all fire road up then single track down? What kind of climbs? Whats you're favorite?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mt Zion loop at Chantry is your best bet. 9 miles, yet might still take more than a couple hours.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    Mt Zion loop at Chantry is your best bet. 9 miles, yet might still take more than a couple hours.
    I fully agree!!! It's 90% singletrack...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Working Man's Toilet
    Cut my mountain biking teeth while going to school at Azusa Pacific. Marshall rocks, Monroe is a great ride, even Garcia trail is great, I rode up the fire road and then down Garcia, puts hair on your chest and scars on your body.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well one of my favorites is riding up monrovia canyon all the way until it t-bones into the reb box rincon road then head west until you run into necombs saddle where you pick up the gabrielino trail which will take you all the way to chantry flats. i'm not certain but i think the rincon road is off limits for now because of the station fire. there is plenty to do if you drive up to the chantry parking lot. lower wintercreek/zion loop is also one my favorites. or for a short quick fire road ride you can take the fire road to the san olene water tank for a view of the city and mount wilson etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Will the LBS have a map of these trails, or does anyone know the links to any maps online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Most shops will have maps of the San Gabriels. I'm not sure about online. Helen's cycles in Arcadia should have the maps. If not REI is within a mile from Helen's and they have maps.

Working Man's Toilet
    Aother good option is Incycle in San Dimas- wicked shop, they will likely have some info for ya.