mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Trails near Anaheim

Coming late March for work for a week and I'm hoping to get some riding in.

Recommendations/suggestions for trails close to Anaheim. The more trail the better. No shuttles please, but I'll pedal road if the payoff is worth it.

I'll be on my Blur TRc, ride a ton, and I live in Squamish, BC to give you an idea of what type of rider I am.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Trails near Anaheim

Nothing in anaheim itself but Santiago Oaks is very close. A little bit further is whiting ranch, Santiago truck trail/luge.

mtbr member
    Anaheim is flat and paved but Santiago Oaks has a nice touch of technical but one lap is only about 6 miles, there are options for 3-5 downhills and 2-3 up options.

Chino hills isn't too far and you can do 30 miles in that place no problem; but no technical.

If you start at Blackstar canyon you can do hundreds of miles in the Santa Ana mountains.

If your willing to drive San Juan is our most famous trail down above San Juan Capistrano.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the information. I know that I'll have to drive to trails, but want to have a handful of options while I'm there as I'd like to get a pedal in each day.

Are the Southridge Winter Series trails worthwhile, or too far?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Southridge is about 45 minutes away, but there is plenty of riding closer. In the Newport/Laguna area you have El Moro, Aliso, Crystal Cove, Laguna Coast Wilderness. A little further inland is Santiago Oaks, Whitting Rach, and all of the trails in the Santa Anas. If you do go to Southridge don't leave anything in your car because the car may not be there when you get back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the advice Longboarder J. Found some good trail descriptions here: MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures.

What bike shop is my best bet in the area for directions/beta? I'm staying near Disneyland.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is plenty of good riding at Santiago Oaks. Lot's of trails that you can ride up or down. You can easily get 20+ miles there without hitting the same trail repeatedly. You can also connect it with Irvine Park which has a few decent trails too. And if you are really ambitious, you can ride a few miles on asphalt up santiago canyon road, past Irvine Lake, and ride to blackstar or maple springs and then ride up to main didvide/ Santiago peak.
    As mentioned, there is also whiting ranch, old camp/luge, el morro, shady canyon, aliso. There are alot of great places to ride in OC.