mtbr member
    Feb 2008

trails near Alhambra??

hey i just got into biking and im looking for places to take my hardrock sport. Ive been to Eaton canyon but i guess your not allowed to bike there. the hikers were sure to let me know too.. apparently they get really pissed off about people biking there. but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. i want to get out!!!

mtbr member
    JPL in pasadena
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_4520crx.aspx
    Make sure to try out El Prieto for some ST action.

mtbr member
    I hear these trails have a heavy poison oak presence? Any truth to that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The PO lives on EP! Last month it was just cleared but some remnants fell in the creek. PO oils must of been laying on the surface of the water because when I see PO I avoid it at all cost Going through the water crossing got my feet and lower legs wet and two days later i had PO on my feet and around my sockline.

Hey CHAD I use to live in Alhambra behind Granada park in Azusa now. PM me if you want to see when to hook up so you can get the tour of the San Gabes.

mtbr member
    Yes that is true.

However, Ive been riding El Prieto for 5yrs now and never had a problem with poison oak. I also take my kids and with just a little awareness it is not an issue.

blinded by the light
    Jun 2007
    hey im also in alhambra and im going to la tuna tomarrow with the ppl from otb. they organize group rides and usually ride tues/thurs evenings at about 6pm. if you wanna go bring some lights 'cause they come back on the road..oh yeah..
    http://www.otbmbc.com/calendar/calendar.cgi

see ya there!

Johny Sokko!
    Chad the Thai guy,

You happen to be in area where most trails are steep and the singletrack is technical. Brown Mt. is good (2.5mile fire road climb), but El P is not for beginners. You can try Turnbull Canyon in Whittier, Bonelli Park in San Dimas, Marshall Canyon in La Verne. These are great trails to learn your bike and to get better with you Nunchuck skills.

Now... you can try El Preito trail and walk what you can't do and then try and try again, next thing you know you can clean it. JUST DO NOT SKID IN EL P!

What level of cardio and bike handling skills do you think you have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all the help.. id say my cardio is pretty good. and for bike handling skills- im not experienced or anything but im starting to learn pretty fast