Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Trails that do and do not hold the rain

Which trails have you had good or bad experiences after the rain?

For example, el moro is unrideable after a small rain, so is chino. Harding is hardly affected but it is closed due to fires.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I've noticed that generally, the trails nearest the coast do better the the ones inland.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Virtually any trail in Reseda is fine, drains very well. Space Mountain in Thousand Oaks is good too. Sycamore Canyon in Newbury Park is probably the worst after the rain.

CEB
    No horse'n round

Rain and the trails

Think geography and geology!

Trails in "low lying areas" are prob comprised of clay and soft "soil" with organic matter. These areas soak easy and dry slow. Like here in S.D., PQ is a muddy quagmire after a rain.

Trails on hillsides or on elevation are prob granite or decomposed granite (DG as some call it). Well drained and very little organic matter that would hold moisture, thus great riding after a rain unless erosive action due to large quanities of rain changes the trail making for dangerous paralell ruts and rivulets.

The mix is that most trails ( the XC routes) take riders thru different substratta, thus some areas are smooth sailing, and other parts of the trail could be a real drag.

I encourage all trail users to consider the ugly long term consequences on trail condition if ridden after a rain. Consider the rain like a slight riding injury. Like suffering an injury to you as a rider, a couple of days off is GOOD.

Be kind to the trails. When you get back on after a rain, DON'T widen the trail by going "around" puddles and trying to miss mud. Ride THRU the water, thru the mud, keeping single track as it is. I find that riding thru the puddles is no problem, the reason the water holds there is the ground is HARD (under that water). Hitting the puddles is NOT as bad as going around and destroying the adjacent terra firma!

Let it dry , then RIDE ON!!

Chip in San Diego.......... rain also affects my spelling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

let it dry

I agree with Chip. Riding after a rain does take its toll on our trails. I usually wait a 2-3 days before hitting the trails again. However, some are hardly effected, and some drain within a day of heavy rain. I am just thinking about riding Sunday, and if the rain stops today, as forecasted, where would be a safe place to ride?

Lord of the Chainrings
    I use it as an excuse to ride my road bike for a few days!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    San Juan probably fares the best after the rain since it's comprised mostly of DG. STT/Luge does well also, but it will probably be closed until around Nov 2008.

As others have said, I would wait until Sunday before riding anything just to give the trails a chance to dry out a bit..
    MCM# 2007.1

just along for the ride
    Head for the sandy areas, that about the only time you can ride them, after a good rain. Granted socal has little options there but there is always Baja where nobody cares or up north of the masses. BTW no rain in SLO so plan accordingly

mtbr member

Daley Ranch is a Winner

One of the best spots to hit in the San Diego Area is Daley Ranch up by Escondido. This area can take on a tremendous amount of water and not get muddy.

Some of the worst after a long wet season are:
    - Mission Trails - This was the only bad time I have had on a bike!
    - Sycamore Canyon - from the Santee end along the base of the hill across from the treatmetn plant
    - Sweetwater - riding below any of the hills

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    most of our trails near Riverside (Sycamore Canyon, Box Springs, Southridge) do very well after the rain because they are mostly decomposed granite........the only areas that tend to turn muddy are the arroyo crossings.........

mtbr member
    La Costa is solid when wet.

Trying a little
    Los Robles ( space mountain ) is as hard as 'crete with rivers of water running down it you can ride it. But go to COSCA (Los Robles East) and the mud is like clay just before it hardens, it will pack on your bike and go leather hard in 2 minutes and you'll have to use a chainsaw and a chisel to get it off.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    Los Robles ( space mountain ) is as hard as 'crete with rivers of water running down it you can ride it. But go to COSCA (Los Robles East) and the mud is like clay just before it hardens, it will pack on your bike and go leather hard in 2 minutes and you'll have to use a chainsaw and a chisel to get it off.

LOL!!!

Reminds me of my stupid days, once out at Penasquitos, in the late 80's once. Just about 2 days after significant rain fell, took a ride on my then new bike. Within 4 minutes.....really......the bike took on so much mud it must have weighed triple it's normal weight with mud caked all over EVERYTHING. I think I got about 1/4 west of the ballfields on the north side when the mud went from clay to quicksand. The ride ended, I walked back...........

To say the least, the interior of the "family van" never looked the same after that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Roberto
    Which trails have you had good or bad experiences after the rain?

For example, el moro is unrideable after a small rain, so is chino. Harding is hardly affected but it is closed due to fires.
    Brown Mtn./El Prieto is always awesome after a rain, and even during.

Johny Sokko!
    No skidding in El P!

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention
    One of the best spots to hit in the San Diego Area is Daley Ranch up by Escondido. This area can take on a tremendous amount of water and not get muddy.

- Sycamore Canyon - from the Santee end along the base of the hill across from the treatmetn plant
    I agree about Mission Trails with one exception: North Cowles Mtn. That place is very rocky with DG and it drains extremely well. You should be able to ride that trail today. Iron Mtn. is probably similar although I haven't ridden that trail immediately after a rain.

mtbr member
    Nobody should ride after it rains. We have very very few days to preform trail maintenance here in this dry SoCal desert. The taki dirt only last for a day, what ever work you do will last all year long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention

Daley? Cardiac hill is mostly clay at the bottom and gets really bad in moderate rain, the east side of the meadow loop has a lot of clay also, bobcat turns into a bog in heavy rain. The only part of Daley that stays ok is the southern end,

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by tacos&beer
    La Costa is solid when wet.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mudd; 12-02-2007 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member

Pt Mugu

Anyone know how it handles rain? Have a buddy in from Florida and he's never ridden Mugu.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    Nobody should ride after it rains. We have very very few days to preform trail maintenance here in this dry SoCal desert. The taki dirt only last for a day, what ever work you do will last all year long.
    trail maintenace is key.....do it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Calaveras is still too wet....

Tried to ride at Calaveras yesterday. My thinking was to stay on the sun exposed trails but I had to turn back. Still too wet. There is water flowing down the trail to the fruitstand, I've never seen that before...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The flip side of the coin is that rain can change a trail and make it significantly more interesting. That's the case right now with Sullivan Cyn in West LA. The first half of it is very wet in places and generally reworked and gouged out in places. It's a lot more fun now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdivachick
    Virtually any trail in Reseda is fine, drains very well. Space Mountain in Thousand Oaks is good too. Sycamore Canyon in Newbury Park is probably the worst after the rain.
    Sycamore - most of it handles the rain. Guadalasca trail has a slick sticky section that will clog your wheels. Equally bad is Overlook climb from the beach side.

Cheeseboro is horrible. The mud will scrape the paint off your chainstays. It's mixed with horse poop-straw, you could make bricks from it.

Zuma ridge is sandy and drains well, muddier as you go South over the peak.

mtbr member
    PQ trail was closed last time I checked on Tuesday. I went up to Daley Ranch which was open, but full of ruts and muddy. I remember that Mission Trails after a heavy dose of rain gets quite muddy, at least the Father Junipero trail does. I wonder how East county trails are holding up. Anybody ride Cuyamaca recently?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast