mtbr member

Trails Closed to Bikes (Topanga S.P.)

Does anyone know why bikes are prohibited on some of the best trails in Topanga SP despite these trails being underutilized?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yes, because you crazy bikers might scare somebody. Can't have that. Now go ride a fire road and STFU.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Which trails are you talking about?

Some are "no bikes" and some are no bikes if you catch my drift.

mtbr member
    Basically talking about the one that drops down to Temescal FR from Eagle Rock/Hub area, and then the connecting trail across fire road that drops down to Mulholland (trying to avoid naming trails here).

IF, I was to have ridden these trails... I might have noticed the lack of hikers/use these get. Just wondering why they would have restricted use given the lack of traffic. Doesn't make much sense to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Basically talking about the one that drops down to Temescal FR from Eagle Rock/Hub area, and then the connecting trail across fire road that drops down to Mulholland (trying to avoid naming trails here).

IF, I was to have ridden these trails... I might have noticed the lack of hikers/use these get. Just wondering why they would have restricted use given the lack of traffic. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Why not name names? Garapito and (what I consider) the 3rd segment of Bent Arrow are the trails you're referencing. I agree that they are underutilized by all user groups and there is no reason why they shouldn't be designated multi-use trails. I can sort of understand why the Musch trail and Los Liones are closed to bikes, as they are both hiker highways that would see a lot of user conflict. There is so much opportunity to build miles of prime multi-use singletrack in TSP, following the models of trails like Los Robles and Gaudalasco. Not sure why it has never happened. Fortunately there are lots of under-the-radar trails that I won't mention here, but most of them are not suited to novice or even strong intermediate mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is there some map that shows what is or isn't open?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    Fortunately there are lots of under-the-radar trails that I won't mention here, but most of them are not suited to novice or even strong intermediate mountain bikers.
    JimN, sounds like we need to go riding!

I was avoiding names as I didn't want to contribute to more "illegal" traffic.

mtbr member
    Pretty much any single track inside TSP is closed to bikes. It's a shame. As mentioned, many of these trails are under utilized. The State has very few resources to maintain these trails let alone "police" them.

I imagine with a coalition of MTBers they would have free labor and a thriving bike community. As seen in different parts of the country, there are ways to keep all trail users happy. Limit bike use to certain days, create bike specific trails, education, etc.

The santa Monica's are a true gem and could provide so much more recreation to the 16+ million living in the County. Sadly, due to all the bureaucratic tape, we will probably never see a change in our lifetimes.