hispanic mechanic

Trail work- Mission Trails (x-post SS)

So I have been itching to do some trail work since moving to Cali, but it's just not panned out. Finally, I get word of a small work day at Mission Trails Park here in Sandy Eggo.
    Well, it's certainly not my favorite, since the climb to the good stuff is really brutal on a SS, but I figured what the hell.
    As many of you know, we've been hit with the heaviest rainfall in many years, and the trails in S.D. are mostly in pretty bad shape. The particular trail we worked on is a recovered fire road, cicaned around so that it no longer goes directly down the fall line like so many of our trails and fire roads do. However, there's still some spots that had developed bad habits- berms that hold water, depressions that fill up and become mudholes, and ruts galore on any section that does happen to go on the fall line.
    Although there were only 10 of us, we repaired and reinforced some of the most damaged sections. We filled ruts with rock, sloped rutted areas slightly off-camber to move water off of it, cut drains off of mud holes, built a couple of rolling dips, and even "paved" one notoriosly eroded area with rock!
    It's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to do trail work, and I think I've forgotten just how rewarding it is. If you've never done it, or if it's been a while, get out there. Join your local access group, join IMBA, get out and make sure there will be trails to ride on for a good long time.
    Big ups to EBasil, for giving me the heads up (and for being a blast to work with,) Everett and SDMBA for putting on these events, and the rest of the guys who gave up the first sunny Saturday in a couple of months to give everyone trails to ride on.

the los
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Don't believe anything this guy says. That red and black, fixed gear, road bike is how he got to the event, how he rode in and out of the park and bears an unholy similarity to his "mountain bike", which is also devoid of derailleurs, freewheels and suspension forks. He carries a cell phone, but it's carved out of wood.

Okay, one thing to believe is that the crew that excavated a HUGE switchback, paved it with rocks like a Roman Highway and then buried their art...well those people did some incredible work! Los, Colin and I couldn't believe our eyes when we took a break to walk over and see what they were doing.

I hate to talk about rain this way, but I sure hope we do get a light sprinkle tonight!

mtbr member
    Everett sent us all some photos that he and Gabor took...some of them show the massive, Roman Highway armoring project that Everett, Gardner, Julie, Tom & Jim performed, plus the finished/buried product. Others show the longitudinal trench that Gabor & Andy took the lead on, and one or two of the lower half of that project. It also includes one of the finished product on the upper half of the Carlos, Colin, Erik project shown above in Los's photo.

Now, let's see if they're small enough to post...

mtbr member
    nope, most are too big...maybe later.

That one above has Jim in the foreground, excavating the site of the Roman Highway...

Glad to Be Alive
    nice work guys...now if more people will step up to the plate and volunteer some work on your favorite trail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2003

Hey Guys, let me try to post the Roman Hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    nope, most are too big...maybe later.

That one above has Jim in the foreground, excavating the site of the Roman Highway...

Hope it works. Too bad some of our best work is hidden!

mtbr member
    Thanks for putting the trail back together!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaborH
    Hope it works. Too bad some of our best work is hidden!

After the rains we had last week, I want to hear from someone how these worksites held up. The rain was way too strong for the optimum hardening of the distrubed soil, but there sure isn't any way that Roman Highway is going to leave (might be real visible, though)

TCB
    mtbr member
    Here are some photos from today; the trail held up very well, you guys did excellent work

Glad to Be Alive
    sweet work
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    Here are some photos from today; the trail held up very well, you guys did excellent work
    Those photos are well composed and fill me with a sense of cal...waita second! Don't be slipping those tree-huggin' happy shots in there, dammit! I almost ordered a Chai Tea and headed for the Birkenstock store.

The Roman Road looks great, and that longo rut up top seems gone for the time being! Do you have shots of the areas in between them?

mtbr member

Good job!

Those photos are well composed and fill me with a sense of cal...waita second! Don't be slipping those tree-huggin' happy shots in there, dammit! I almost ordered a Chai Tea and headed for the Birkenstock store.

The Roman Road looks great, and that longo rut up top seems gone for the time being! Do you have shots of the areas in between them?
    He does:

The upper Collin/Carlos/Erik section. I can't tell whether all flow was directed off trail, but it's good to see the engineered slopes are intact.

The lower C/C/E section looks to have worked, too. Relief...because that was some soft, soft dirt, even after tamping it.

hispanic mechanic

Whew!

He does:

[img]The upper Collin/Carlos/Erik section. I can't tell whether all flow was directed off trail, but it's good to see the engineered slopes are intact.

The lower C/C/E section looks to have worked, too. Relief...because that was some soft, soft dirt, even after tamping it.
    Sweet! Nice to see that our work day seems to have helped. By that pic, it looks like at least a lot of water was diverted off on the upper section.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

TCB
    mtbr member
    He does:

The upper Collin/Carlos/Erik section. I can't tell whether all flow was directed off trail, but it's good to see the engineered slopes are intact.

Here is the link to all of the photos.

http://www.lambertphoto.com/MTRP3-7-05/index.htm