mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Trail suggestions for san bernardino national forest

I'm headed up to the SBNF for the first time this Thanksgiving and I'd appreciate some trail suggestions. I'll be staying at lake arrowhead and I have about 3-4 days!

My only concern is avoiding the motorized vehicles on forest roads, as I've heard it can get a little busy up there with the ATVs, motorcycles, 4x4s, et cetera.

FWIW I'm an intermediate level rider.

Thank you!

Over the Hill
    Not much in Arrowhead. Big Bear and Fawnskin are better choices. I like the Grout Bay/Grays Peak ride in Fawnskin.

http://adventurehostel.com/MountainBikeTrailGuide.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Not much in Arrowhead. Big Bear and Fawnskin are better choices. I like the Grout Bay/Grays Peak ride in Fawnskin.

http://adventurehostel.com/MountainBikeTrailGuide.html
    On the other end of the forest, I just rode Thomas Mountain and Palm Canyon / Pinyon Flats. Both were very cool.

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

always learning
    I found out about a trail that's up there in between Arrowhead and Big Bear but was unable to find the trail itself. Here's the link to my thread that no one replied to:
    Deer Lick / Keller Peak in Running Springs?

Over the Hill
    I think you are talking about Exploration Trail. It is on my short list. The lower trailhead is well marked and a few hundered yards up Keller lookout Road of the Highway between Running Springs and Arrowbear. My plan is to park at the bottom and riding the 6 miles up Keller Lookout Road to Childerns Demo Forest, turn right at the T and the upper trailhead is to the right. Well marked.

Check my post from a few weeks back. Billy lives in the area and offered to show me around.

Go ride it and report back. I am curious.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I think you are talking about Exploration Trail. It is on my short list. The lower trailhead is well marked and a few hundered yards up Keller lookout Road of the Highway between Running Springs and Arrowbear. My plan is to park at the bottom and riding the 6 miles up Keller Lookout Road to Childerns Demo Forest, turn right at the T and the upper trailhead is to the right. Well marked.

Check my post from a few weeks back. Billy lives in the area and offered to show me around.

Go ride it and report back. I am curious.
    Thats the area. We drove up Keller to the lookout. Cool place, we could see miles and miles of trails but didn't know where they began. There's supposed to be a trail that people shuttle that has a nice downhill flow with some really smooth little drops. The guy at the bike shop in Arrowhead made it sound like the only trail worth going to if I usually rode DH at Big Bear.
    Take some pictures if you go, I don't know when I'll make it up there next.