Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail to ride after rain near Ventura County

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  toingtoing 
#1 ·
Any opinions if Space Mountain in Thousand Oaks would be in okay to ride tomorrow? We had just a little rain this morning and it looks like it might not rain until later on Saturday. If not Space any other trails that might be okay? I dont mind the mud I just dont want to mess up the trail.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the real replies everyone. We went and rode dead cow and another trail today, no mud to speak of. We did see a fellow rider get airlifted from the other trail though....bummer.

Bobby, telling people regardless of skill or intent to grab a shovel and go work a trail is not the wisest thing to do. Even with my "pee" (I think you meant pea, but "pee" as in urine brain is funnier) brain I wouldn't recommend it. There are way too many opinions as to what a multi-use trail should look like. What if Timmy with his shovel thinks the switchbacks on hummingbird should be cut again... If you want to continue this silly conversation shoot me a PM, you silly thread topic thrower offer.

#2 ·
nah.... that trail has a lot places that has clay, which retains water....you will leave ruts...please ride a Paved bike path tomorrow

or better yet....walk the trail with a shovel and give a little love back...that would be awesome

#3 ·
So wait...the trail shouldn't be ridden, but you are advocating we all grab a "shovel" and work the trail. Uhhhh....I've never even seen a shovel on the days I have volunteered for trailwork...just mcleods and pulaskis. Great idea though let's all grab a shovel and try to figure out trail weathering and erosion engineering on a muddy multi-use trail....on second thought I will just keep volunteering on CORBA trail days. So any trails okay to ride? I hear happy camp can be good since it is all sand...thanks.

#5 ·
yep, I recommend a shovel unless you are a pee brain and can't figure out how to fix stuff here and there...why wait for corba days...most of the time they go out when it is dry and the work they do literally blows away...and shame on you for not knowing mcleods and pulaskis are mostly used for spring days clearing brush:nono::nono::nono:

#6 ·
Happy Camp is good after light rain but it rained there pretty steady. You will encounter lots of mud especially if you do the climb and at some point, depending on your bike it will pack up. The lower part was fine silt which will now be mud and the upper part turns to thick clay. On the lower road you have 2 river crossings and lots of low spots. Hit the road for a couple of days and Space Mtn should be good.

#10 ·
Space Mtn in TO is one of the only 2 places I know of that you can ride after rain, or heck, even when raining (very lightly), I've ridden there a few times and it's perfect, especially the west side (up to the bench). Another good trail to ride after rain is Gridley in Ojai. I rode there last Friday, again, perfect trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.