mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Trail to ride after rain near Ventura County

Any opinions if Space Mountain in Thousand Oaks would be in okay to ride tomorrow? We had just a little rain this morning and it looks like it might not rain until later on Saturday. If not Space any other trails that might be okay? I dont mind the mud I just dont want to mess up the trail.

Glad to Be Alive
    nah.... that trail has a lot places that has clay, which retains water....you will leave ruts...please ride a Paved bike path tomorrow

or better yet....walk the trail with a shovel and give a little love back...that would be awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So wait...the trail shouldn't be ridden, but you are advocating we all grab a "shovel" and work the trail. Uhhhh....I've never even seen a shovel on the days I have volunteered for trailwork...just mcleods and pulaskis. Great idea though let's all grab a shovel and try to figure out trail weathering and erosion engineering on a muddy multi-use trail....on second thought I will just keep volunteering on CORBA trail days. So any trails okay to ride? I hear happy camp can be good since it is all sand...thanks.

mtbr member
    I rode a trail once in Moorpark called Happy Camp trail. It was really sandy, so I never went back. But, I would think it would be pretty good when wet. I don't even know if its still open.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
    So wait...the trail shouldn't be ridden, but you are advocating we all grab a "shovel" and work the trail. Uhhhh....I've never even seen a shovel on the days I have volunteered for trailwork...just mcleods and pulaskis. Great idea though let's all grab a shovel and try to figure out trail weathering and erosion engineering on a muddy multi-use trail....on second thought I will just keep volunteering on CORBA trail days. So any trails okay to ride? I hear happy camp can be good since it is all sand...thanks.
    yep, I recommend a shovel unless you are a pee brain and can't figure out how to fix stuff here and there...why wait for corba days...most of the time they go out when it is dry and the work they do literally blows away...and shame on you for not knowing mcleods and pulaskis are mostly used for spring days clearing brush
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Happy Camp is good after light rain but it rained there pretty steady. You will encounter lots of mud especially if you do the climb and at some point, depending on your bike it will pack up. The lower part was fine silt which will now be mud and the upper part turns to thick clay. On the lower road you have 2 river crossings and lots of low spots. Hit the road for a couple of days and Space Mtn should be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the real replies everyone. We went and rode dead cow and another trail today, no mud to speak of. We did see a fellow rider get airlifted from the other trail though....bummer.

Bobby, telling people regardless of skill or intent to grab a shovel and go work a trail is not the wisest thing to do. Even with my "pee" (I think you meant pea, but "pee" as in urine brain is funnier) brain I wouldn't recommend it. There are way too many opinions as to what a multi-use trail should look like. What if Timmy with his shovel thinks the switchbacks on hummingbird should be cut again... If you want to continue this silly conversation shoot me a PM, you silly thread topic thrower offer.
    Last edited by HereWeGo; 12-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.

U $ 4 O?

Not good

2nd airlift there in a month...

mtbr member
    Ouch. On another note, I did notice some trail in socal made a pinkbike appearance recently.
    Last edited by PerfectZero; 12-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
    Any opinions if Space Mountain in Thousand Oaks would be in okay to ride tomorrow? We had just a little rain this morning and it looks like it might not rain until later on Saturday. If not Space any other trails that might be okay? I dont mind the mud I just dont want to mess up the trail.
    Space Mtn in TO is one of the only 2 places I know of that you can ride after rain, or heck, even when raining (very lightly), I've ridden there a few times and it's perfect, especially the west side (up to the bench). Another good trail to ride after rain is Gridley in Ojai. I rode there last Friday, again, perfect trail.