mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trail recommendations for trip to So Cal...

I will be visiting some family over the holidays and want to do some riding when in town. I will be staying in Northridge and was looking for some trail recommendations. I have no problem driving around if that is what it will take to get to the "good stuff." I will be riding an Intense 6.6 so I am looking for AM type trail riding.

Appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    I will be visiting some family over the holidays and want to do some riding when in town. I will be staying in Northridge and was looking for some trail recommendations. I have no problem driving around if that is what it will take to get to the "good stuff." I will be riding an Intense 6.6 so I am looking for AM type trail riding.
    Northridge is close to Simi Valley and the Santa Monica Mountains. For Simi, I'd suggest Chumash/Hummingbird (though it's not quite as much fun now that you have to ride on the road to make it a loop). In the Santa Monicas, there are a ton of possibilities, though most of them might be a bit tame for your bike. Reseda Blvd. (or Caballero) to the Hub, and then various routes around there (e.g., Rogers Road), would be most convenient. There are some nice loops in the Cheeseboro area - you didn't say how long you want to ride, but you could easily put together a few hours there.

A bit farther away, there's riding in the San Gabriel mountains (I don't know those trails) and Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara is about 1.5 hours away from Northridge and has some 6.6-worthy trails (e.g., up Romero, along Camino Cielo, down Cold Springs). Be especially sensitive to other users if you ride Santa Barbara - they have a long history of conflicts with hikers and equestrians that are forever threatening to kick mountain bikes off the trails.

That should give you a start! Happy riding!

Glad to Be Alive
    quit be a pu$$Y ....bring your M-3 and some body armour and you will have a blast....shine the 6.6
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    When are you in town? We have a few riders in Northridge/Granada Hills area. Check our calendar and come on out.... otbmbc.com
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Flaccid Member
    Might help if you stated you like to climb how many feet of vertical, what you look for when going down hill for challenges, rider level ability (don't want to assume here) , type of exposure you are willing to take on, etc.

Here is a good website for some of the riding west of you. Take your pick.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../MapsHome.html
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it. I will be in town the week of the 24th and planning on getting out most of those days besides Xmas day. If I can sneak away I will, but little chance of that happening.

Single track, climbs, little FR are all in order. I will check out the sites recommended and hopefully be able to hook up with a group for some rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    quit be a pu$$Y ....bring your M-3 and some body armour and you will have a blast....shine the 6.6
    I'll be leaving the big bike at home this time, along with the skirt (harsh man). Trying to get the brother-in-law out as he just started riding, so want to break him in gently.

mtbr member
    Trying to get the brother-in-law out as he just started riding, so want to break him in gently.
    Thats reason alone to break out the big bike.
    In laws always talk smack its a legit way to introduce him to FUN!!!!!
    My father in law surprised me in the NW and my B-in law almost got taken to bootleg as he lives in vegas. Had him all talked into it (hasnt riden a bike in 20+ years atleast) and got a business call last minute (yes it was a real call). See god does exist he kept him from going with me.

Remember to always incourage inlaws, "sure you can clear that, my kids do!" Remember to cross your fingers but not the ones running the video camera.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Glad to Be Alive
    I'll be leaving the big bike at home this time, along with the skirt (harsh man). Trying to get the brother-in-law out as he just started riding, so want to break him in gently.

nah....bring the big bike.....suffer pedaling with your brother in law (like a golf handicapp because he is suffering too)

then hook up for Downhill domination
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Thats reason alone to break out the big bike.
    In laws always talk smack its a legit way to introduce him to FUN!!!!!
    My father in law surprised me in the NW and my B-in law almost got taken to bootleg as he lives in vegas. Had him all talked into it (hasnt riden a bike in 20+ years atleast) and got a business call last minute (yes it was a real call). See god does exist he kept him from going with me.

Remember to always incourage inlaws, "sure you can clear that, my kids do!" Remember to cross your fingers but not the ones running the video camera.
    I hear ya. He actually will probably get into it pretty heavy duty. Big triathlon guy. I noticed you are from Lewiston, ID. The B-n-Law will probably be up to race the CDA Tri. I just spent four years in Boise before relocating to Portland. My mom, Uncle and Aunt just moved to Moscow. Had a blast riding up there, particularly Tamarack.