mtbr member
    May 2013

Trail recommendations in SoCal

Got 1 week of vacation...wanted to know if anyone had any recommended trails in SoCal I should check out during vacay. Some of the trails I been to include:

Cheseboro in LA
    Point Mugu in LA
    Jedi trail/Jack rabbit trail in Loma Linda
    Sycamore Canyon trail in Riverside
    Clairmont Loop in Clairmont
    Fullerton Loop in Fullerton

Thanks!

Sled of Lead.
    Here's my list of SoCal must-do's:

Palm Canyon Epic - Complete insanity to attempt this ride during the summer unless you have a death wish.

JPL--Lower Sam Merrill-Mt. Lowe fire road - Inspiration Point - Middle Sam Merrill - Sunset Trail - El Prieto - JPL. Ride this as a figure 8 with the climb up lower sam merrill or shuttle it through shuttle Dave and cut out about 98% of the climbing.

San Juan Trail in OC.

Noble Canyon/Big Laguna Trail.

Cannell Plunge in Kernville. About 3-4 hours north of LA. Requires a shuttle. 2,500 ft of climbing and 9,500 ft of descending.

SART. Santa Ana River Trail in the San Bernadino mountains. Not a personal favorite of mine. In fact, I don't even like that trail but it seems to rank highly amongst other people.

The stuff around Laguna Beach. Aliso & Wood Canyons, Laguna Coast Wildernes Park, El Moro, and crystal cove.

There's also some other stuff in the Santa Monica mountains that I have not ridden yet that is also quite good from what I hear.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks bro...thinking about doing el moro and crystal cove trails at laguna...gonna scout it tomorrow

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I can vouch for Noble Canyon. Just be careful during summer, gets pretty hot midday to early afternoon so I'd aim for an early morning ride if possible. Enjoy your vacation!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lead Sled nails it.

To that list I'd add a bit more in the Santa Ana Mountains; Trabuco Creek, Holy Jim(s), Joplin(s), the Luge. All very popular for good reason. Not too hot so far this summer. Unlike the Laguna/coastal areas, it's more classic "mountain" biking–long uphill (often fire road) and then down, so as long as one is pedaling by 7-8am, golden.