Thread: Towsley Loops

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Towsley Loops

Hey, new member here just getting heavily into the sport. Thought I'd let some people know about a trail in my area that I really like.

There isn't a real danger in publicizing these trails because they are visible from the 5 freeway anyway and are well maintained by park rangers.

From LA heading north on the 5, exit at Calgrove and turn left to find the trail head.

My bike is a pos 4 yr old mongoose from sport chalet but I've been riding these trails with a friend and handling them fairly easily even with a sprained hand. Looking to buy a new bike soon, so I'm going out to the LBS today to check out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!

Good job!

It's a pretty cool trail. I rode here before after a warranty fix at Marzocchi. The guys over there told me about this place...sweet ride!

Fat guy on a bike
    Its super steep to say the least. The only downside to this trail is the very heavy pedestrian traffic as its a favorite of the locals for a hike.

The oil coming out of the ground is neat too.

cask conditioned
    Towsley's great. You should have shown those two ends of the trail connecting since it is a loop. I agree it's steep and hard, but keep riding it and soon you won't think it's too bad. I like doing the loop first in one direction and then doing it again in reverse. It's best in the spring when the wildflowers are in full force.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Coolness

Good to see some responses up here. I just picked up a Giant Yukon yesterday and christened it at Towsley. Lets get a thread going for santa clarita rides! What are your favorite trails?

mtbr member
    These sites have lotsa SCV locals rides.....

http://chaingangmtb.com/
    http://www.clipdin.com/
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/

I usually ride Viper Or Los Pinetos (Nature Center) because they are close by and offer good payoff for the long climbs......

scott

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Love Towsley, as it used to be my local ride from my house. Nature Center is good too, past the Viper trailhead. Used to ride that one every Wednesday morning before work. I miss it.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm up in Castaic and usually ride the trails closer to me, but I've ridden Towsley several times over the years. It's kind of short and the 'payoff' is over with too quickly for my taste, but it's always good for a change of pace.

There is also East Canyon just a quarter mile south on The Old Road. It's a steep three+ mile climb on a fire road and you can link up with some other trails up at the top.

Drop me a PM if you want to ride Castaic sometime.

Some of the sites Scottay mentioned have more local 'activity'.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I'm up in Castaic and usually ride the trails closer to me, but I've ridden Towsley several times over the years. It's kind of short and the 'payoff' is over with too quickly for my taste, but it's always good for a change of pace.

There is also East Canyon just a quarter mile south on The Old Road. It's a steep three+ mile climb on a fire road and you can link up with some other trails up at the top.

Drop me a PM if you want to ride Castaic sometime.

Some of the sites Scottay mentioned have more local 'activity'.
    I am in Castaic. Have we ridden together? Stupid question, but names are sometimes changed to protect the innocent etc.

Anyway, I am riding tomorrow, 2.5 hr loop, good training ride out of Castaic. Just sayin'.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Another friend and I are meeting at the Sports Complex at about 6am... ride about 6:15. We're going to do 2 or 3 laps around Tapia. You're certainly welcome to join us.

We've probably crossed paths a time or two, but after reading about your ride from up by Gorman to Bouquet Reservoir, it's most likely we've seen each other as you were passing me .

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Another friend and I are meeting at the Sports Complex at about 6am... ride about 6:15. We're going to do 2 or 3 laps around Tapia. You're certainly welcome to join us.

We've probably crossed paths a time or two, but after reading about your ride from up by Gorman to Bouquet Reservoir, it's most likely we've seen each other as you were passing me .
    Most likely.

I am fast at work by 06:00 AM, so I ride later in the day...in the heat

Thanks anyway.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member

Post-Fire pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    Its super steep to say the least. The only downside to this trail is the very heavy pedestrian traffic as its a favorite of the locals for a hike.

The oil coming out of the ground is neat too.
    old pics here

Double-digit steep everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fat guy on a bike
    Its almost overgrown now