Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Touring Santa Monica's Backbone

930 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  .WestCoastHucker. 
#1 ·
Hey,

I've heard that the Backbone trail that starts at Will Rogers Park runs 70mi to Ventura. Is it all open for bikes? Does anyone know if there is any water along the way? Where can I find a map of the trail? Cause I'm thinking of taking a train up to Ventura and riding it south to Los Angeles, maybe camp for a night.

-Ryan

#2 ·
I know there are some sections that are closed to bikes in Sycamore Canyon - you can likely find a way around it - like riding Los Robles over to Westlake Blvd, and then get back onto the trail - but you can not just ride all of Backbone.

I wish you could - because the sections that I have ridden are excellent.

Kirk

#3 ·
The whole Backbone Trail isn't quite complete yet, even for hikers. There are quite a few sections open to bikes, but it would be really hard to try to do the whole trail from west to east - it would take quite a few long detours. The Park Service has a web site and maps where you can get details: http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/backbonetrail.htm

One possible way to do parts of the Backbone Trail one-way would be to use the Park Service's shuttle bus. I haven't used it yet, but it has a bike rack for carrying bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.