mtbr member
    May 2005

Top of Yorba Buena- Malibu-What trail??

Hi,
    I was on a rode ride, a day before the fires, near the top of Yorba Buena, just a couple miles past the convergence of Encinal/Decker/Mulholland, I saw a few mountainbikers just off the road, near the crest, on a dirt trail. Can someone tell me what trail that is? I hope my description is adequate.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Near the group of houses (all the houses are on the right, if you're coming up from Mulholland) is the east end of Backbone Trail. The trail runs west along the south side of the ridge over to the Mishe Mokwa trailhead parking lot, with nice views of the ocean. It's been worked over by the NPS Sweco team recently, and is a wide swath of soft sand and loose rocks in many places, not much fun to ride right now. Check back after this weekend's rain, it may have firmed up a bit.

mtbr member
    That's Yerba Buena Backbone and it's a great trail.... except for it just got senselessly sweco'ed. YB Backbone is fairly new anyway and it took a few riding seasons, after the initial build, for it to settle into really nice shape. The sweco sweep thrashed it and took out all the pretty little trees and wildflowers that were growing on the edges, grrr. When YB Backbone is firm it's an absolutely perfect trail for Beginners because all the grades and turns are gentle. The length is 4.7 miles each way (between Mishe Mokwa trailhead and the little turn-out on Yerba Buena Rd.). If it rains this weekend, give it some time to dry out.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck
    Hi,
    I was on a rode ride, a day before the fires, near the top of Yorba Buena, just a couple miles past the convergence of Encinal/Decker/Mulholland, I saw a few mountainbikers just off the road, near the crest, on a dirt trail. Can someone tell me what trail that is? I hope my description is adequate.
    Thanks.
    A few pictures here and here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Nice soon-to-be-chest-deep rut that was so carefully built with the sweco in that second set of photos... don't you think the guys in charge of "maintaining" the trails would be taught sustainable trail building?

Looks like a good addition, though.

JMH

Dirtmistress
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck
    Hi,
    Thanks.
    After looking at Pac Mans pictures, I'd say you could take your road bike on it pretty easily!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Nice soon-to-be-chest-deep rut that was so carefully built with the sweco in that second set of photos... don't you think the guys in charge of "maintaining" the trails would be taught sustainable trail building?

Looks like a good addition, though.

JMH
    No kidding! It appears that implementing the new grade guidelines for handicap access is taking precedence over trail sustainability. That's great news for those of us who like rutted trails!