BH1
    mtbr member

Tires Vs. Thorns... Thorns Win!!

I'm a San Fernando Valley / Studio City local with a very annoying problem...

I'm 4 for 4 with street rides and flat tires on my Street, DJ, 4x bike on urban voyages. I'm running regular presta tubes and WTB Mutano tires and pinch flats are NOT the issue.

My question is; what, if any solutions are there for all the damn thorns in this area? I have no reservations as far as running DH tubes if that will help, or even buying new tires. My main concearn is having an "all around" tire for Street, DJ, and 4X. The only option I've seen is the Larson TT. But will this tire solve the problem? Will the DH tubes work? Slime? Convert to tubeless?...

info is great. thanks.

mtbr member
    Awhile back I had Mutano Raptor 2.4s on a newly built up hardtail. In less than a week of riding around I got 2 thorn flats. I switched to near slicks and haven't flatted since. Maybe it was just a coincidence, I don't know.

mtbr member
    I've been running 1" slicks on my road bike forever. Don't get as many flats on the pavement as I did when rolled with treaded rubber. Theory was tread lines give thorns lots more surfaces to grab onto and burrow into.

Big Drops
    Nov 2004

Tire Liners

One option is to line the tires.

I'm not a big fan of Bicycle John's but he does carry the full line of Mr Tuffies.
    Huck Maestro

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Kinda a pain, but the stan's thing really works with thorns. If you don't swap tires around a lot it's probably the best solution. I've pulled multipule thorns outa a stans setup & the tire seals up almost instantly......

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    If you don't mind the weight, maybe try some thorn resistant tubes, or some DH tubes with a couple ounces of Stans, does the trick for me, haven't flatted in years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I run Stan's with the 2.4 Mutano Raptors and haven't had a flat for months.... Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have had great success with spinskinz, they are lighter than Tuffy's and the commuter version is cheap enough. I have used these all over the West without problems. The race version is lighter and bulletproof but needs to be changed more often. I tried Slime but had problems with it gumming up the valve stem so switched back to the liners.

Glad to Be Alive
    www.go-ride.com has the Maxxis rim strips..or get some 20 inch tubes and butterfly them and do ghetto tubeless...like 10 bucks each and a bottle of stans like 16 bucks....problem solved
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

BH1
    mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback! So my decision has been to convert my setup to tubeless. I converted my All Mountain to tubeless a few years ago and have had good luck so it will be a very easy swap for me. The last time I re-did my setup I think it only took me an hour for both wheels.

The only reason I did'nt do this already is beacuse It's a brand new bike, but I guess this is a better time than ever to start upgrading!

Thanks again