mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Tires for Otay Lakes

I am looking to get out to Otay Lakes on Sunday. I have a 2009 GT Outpost that I have outfitted with Forte Gotham 26 x 1.75 for road riding. Can I get away with riding with these tires or do I need to change out to my nobbies.

PS I am a clydesdale

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The soil may still be a little slick due to the recent rains, I would run a knobbier tire. If it was dry it would be fine.

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    Traction is like cash...I can never have too much.
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also where is the best starting point?

mtbr member
    You should be ok with what you have, knobbier tires would be better but not a must for that trail, have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I like to start near the olympic training center boat house. From there I ride over to the dam up and around it, then back down across the street to the other side of the lower lake out to the picnic tables and back. You could also start near the damn and do out and backs to the training center, the picnic tables, and up around upper otay lake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsplsngr
    Also where is the best starting point?
    On weekends I like to start from the parking lot by the fishing dock near the south end of Wueste Rd., take the singletrack north along the lake, everytime you get to a "t" take the right, when you make it to Otay Lakes Road ride east along the road for about 100 yards and drop again on the singletrack on the right side, you riding close to the water, again always take the right at an intersection all the way to the two benches and the outhouse and retrace your way back, don't try to ride around the lake because at the dam you'll find out that you can't ride across and will have to ride all the way back.
    Have fun.