mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tires: IRC Trailbear vs Kenda Blue Groove

I've got an IRC Trailbear 2.25 as my front tire. I really like it, but its about time to replace it. Can anyone tell me how it would compare to the Kenda Blue Groove 2.1? It looks like a somewhat similar tread pattern, but the "super sticky" rubber has my intrigued (or is that just a marketing thing)? It cost about twice as much as the Trailbear too.

FWIW, I ride in SoCal hardpack (Santa Monica mountains). Weight 200lbs, and use about 35psi in my front tire.

right behind ya

money well spent

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    I've got an IRC Trailbear 2.25 as my front tire. I really like it, but its about time to replace it. Can anyone tell me how it would compare to the Kenda Blue Groove 2.1? It looks like a somewhat similar tread pattern, but the "super sticky" rubber has my intrigued (or is that just a marketing thing)? It cost about twice as much as the Trailbear too.

FWIW, I ride in SoCal hardpack (Santa Monica mountains). Weight 200lbs, and use about 35psi in my front tire.
    Can't speak to IRC but currently running blue grove sticky (2.35) in front and love this tire. Do notice a bit slower rolling than I was running before (Maxxis highroller 2.1) but not sure you can truly comp these tires. Tire sticks on climbs and rails in turns. Think life is a bit shorter than my prior as I tend to ride on road a few miles to to trailhead - some early wearing a bit but so far so good
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i was nervous about buying the Trailbear a year ago, but now I'm a convert...they are great tires and crazy cheap...what's great is you can get them in 3 different sizes!...i'm currently running a 2.5 up front and the 2.25 in back...happy camper...also have run 2.5 front and back, still good
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Samsonite Tester
    Tioga
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

The size it is a bit smaller on the 2.1. I perfer little larger tire on the front. The sticky rubber works good but on the same note I found the IRC to never let me down and very very consistant as far as handling. The only time I notice a negitave on the sticky rubber is on the road. Its just slow ( but Im running the 2.35 because the 2.1 felt too small for me). The trailbear is (in my opion) dollar for dollar the best all around tire made. 14-16 bucks, lasts forever, rolls good and holds great in corners. I cut mine and it made the tire roll noticeably faster on the road. nipped the leading edges to "ramp" the center knobs. Run them on the front of my xc hardtail ( after 1500 miles on my trailbike) they just last. I would say try a different rear and run the Trail bear up front. Then again you may love a different tire, so try one. I now use the 2.35 dct negals on my trail bike and love them but they roll much slower and dont last but a few months. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Tioga
    Anyone in particular? My bike came with Tiogas, and I wasn't really impressed, at least for the terrain I ride in.

jrm
    mtbr member

The 2.350 BG

The 2.35 BG is a great tire and probably weighs less then the TB..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I'm running a Mythos XC on the rear. Used to run Panaracer Fire XC. I can't say that I notice a huge difference.

I definitely like how the Trailbear wears. I used to run the Fire as a front tire too. It would start off really good, but it seemed like the performance would degrade pretty quickly. The Trailbear's performance seems pretty consistant for a longer period of time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OT but the trailbear is on sale at nashbar for $9 bucks.I used a 10% off code and 2 cost me $17. Cant beat that for a back up set. They have red sidewalls though.