mtbr member
    May 2006

Tire recomendations for the San Diego area

I am looking for new tires. I live in San Diego and ride Sycomore Canyon, Mission Trails, Spring Canyon, Rancho Penesquitos.

I am leaning towards the Panaracer Rampage 29er for the front and either a jones xr for the rear or a Geax Saguro for the rear. I plan to use these with the bontrager tubless rim strips and the stan's goop.

Another possible front tire is the WTB exiwolf.

I am looking at the Geax Saguro becasue I have heard it wears well and being 250lbs that is important for me. How are the Geax sidewalls compared the Bontrager xr's though?

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    oh also< I am not interested in racing ralph or the like. I want a semi strong sidewall.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I have been running Nev DTCs and loving them. Great tire for the trails you mention, IMO. Nanoraptors are good if you want something for lighter duty that rolls faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    I am looking for new tires. I live in San Diego and ride Sycomore Canyon, Mission Trails, Spring Canyon, Rancho Penesquitos.

I am leaning towards the Panaracer Rampage 29er for the front and either a jones xr for the rear or a Geax Saguro for the rear. I plan to use these with the bontrager tubless rim strips and the stan's goop.

I am looking at the Geax Saguro becasue I have heard it wears well and being 250lbs that is important for me. How are the Geax sidewalls compared the Bontrager xr's though?

Any thoughts?
    I run 2.3 exiwolf in front and 2.1 nano in rear, both are wire bead on Velocity rims and Stan's no tubes system.... can run PSI as low as 22 or so psi in front and 26 or so in the rear (i weight 160 or so). I ride all thoses areas......I know Quality Bike in Clairemont has a good local selection of 29 tire FYI

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Hey durbish, what else can you tell me about Quality bike? I see that they are listed on Ventana's site as a dealer, and I am thinking about an X5 for my wife. I haven't been into that shop, anything to report?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    Hey durbish, what else can you tell me about Quality bike? I see that they are listed on Ventana's site as a dealer, and I am thinking about an X5 for my wife. I haven't been into that shop, anything to report?
    Talk to Xavier, he's into 29ers, SS ...and a loves to do custom builds like ; Ventana, Spot, Retro-tech etc.... Call the Clairemont Shop, his a good guy...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter

Any thoughts?
    weighting 250 I would stay away from tubeless..IMO... people I know have "burped" air out.. friend (240lbs) loves the Rampage w/tubes, but may be tight fit in rear, they are BIG. Check it out. As far as wear... not sure. Good luck, sorry I missed the 250lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    well i max out at 250 i usually am at 245ish . Although I think my scale reads high. No seriously I do. But I am losing weight when I don;t eat like a fool.