mtbr member

Ticks, lots of them

Yesterday, I kinda got lost trying to find a connection from Sullivan Canyon to Will Rogers. I ended up on a little hike-a-bike through an overgrown trail. When I got home, I had a tick embedded in my back.

Today Riding out at Sycamore Canyon, I was on another sorta overgrown trail and my legs were brushing against the overgrown shrubs. Needless to say, when I stopped I had two ticks on my leg (not embedded yet). I continued on and probably stopped several times to swipe ticks off my legs. Kinda freaky to me, since I am from the Arizona Desert.

Researching online, there isn't to many Lyme disease cases in So Cal as there are on the east coast. So, has anyone else had tick issues or heard of Lyme disease out here?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fairly common unless you only ride fireroads

If you're bushwhacking, esp during spring, there's a good chance you'll pick up a tick. It's happen to me several times. Just do a tick check after a ride and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, the ticks and gnats are kinda' bummin' me out too. Last few rides, I have also noticed the animals are definetly done "hybernating" for the winter. Snakes, lizards, rabbits, bugs, birds- you name it!

With regard to any trail I do not know or any trail that is tight with vegetation, I usually wear a long sleeve jersey as well as socks that are nearly knee high. Just me.

mtbr member

Bad year for Humans, good year for ticks....

Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    Yesterday, I kinda got lost trying to find a connection from Sullivan Canyon to Will Rogers. I ended up on a little hike-a-bike through an overgrown trail. When I got home, I had a tick embedded in my back.

Today Riding out at Sycamore Canyon, I was on another sorta overgrown trail and my legs were brushing against the overgrown shrubs. Needless to say, when I stopped I had two ticks on my leg (not embedded yet). I continued on and probably stopped several times to swipe ticks off my legs. Kinda freaky to me, since I am from the Arizona Desert.

Researching online, there isn't to many Lyme disease cases in So Cal as there are on the east coast. So, has anyone else had tick issues or heard of Lyme disease out here?
    Ticks are pretty bad this year. Maybe it's the dry winter.
    Check out these recent threads from the Norcal forum:

This is an aptly named antibiotic for tick bites....
    Tick Check!!!

mtbr member
    Ticks are totally gross; they give me the heebie-jeebies. There is definitely Lyme disease here in CA, with clusters in certain communities. Heck, my CAT had a deer tick and afterwards was diagnosed w/ Lyme. They say if you think the tick has been attached for >24hrs you should save it for testing. It's easier to test the tick than you. However, it is my understanding that the pathogen for Lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi) has undergone some mutations(?) in its westward movement. Therefore standard east-coast tests might yield a false negative result. Personally, I try to avoid low el overgrown trails. The cat, by the way, was dramatically ill but has fully recovered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just carry a tick monkey in my pack and he takes care of it for me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That trail that connects the Backbone in Will Rogers to Sullivan that you mentioned is tick city.

I tried to ride it once and got 3. Probably from all the hiking though, since as far as I can tell most of that trail is unridable.

Canadian Invasion
    Thats crazy. I'm from canada. Saskatchewan to be exact. I remember xc rides where we had to stop every 5 min to brush of literally dozens of ticks. However, we all looked forward to hot weather, as ticks in canada seemed to all die off. I guess cali has a different species or something. I f*ckin hate ticks!

On a side note, my lady friend walked her dog up on Temescal, as the little guy got 3 ticks, not found for days later when they were HUGE!