Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Do you have anything in the picture for size perspective? They look like pink pill bugs or "rolly-pollies".

The rain or damp weather brings out all sorts of hidden creatures. I get lots of cone snails in my pool after a rain. Apparently the rain drives them to mass suicide by pool.
    I checked with my friend to get some sizes on them.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I checked with my friend to get some sizes on them.
    I was thinking, I just assume you know how big brine shrimp are. If you don't they are small enough that you could probably hold 6-12 on the tip of your thumb, and they have what looks like no chitinous shell whatsoever.
    Perfect live food, for guppies and such.

His reply:

"Under 1/4 inch I'll have get pics of live ones."

banned
    Sep 2010
    Do you have anything in the picture for size perspective? They look like pink pill bugs or "rolly-pollies".

The rain or damp weather brings out all sorts of hidden creatures. I get lots of cone snails in my pool after a rain. Apparently the rain drives them to mass suicide by pool.
    Those sound like another Rare and Endangered species to me.....Lemming Snails. If so, you better get ready for a visit from the F&W thugs. Your'e probably violating a State Law!

banned
    Sep 2010
    His reply:

"Under 1/4 inch I'll have get pics of live ones."
    That's very interesting...from what little I know about them, there is no way for them to crawl or hop on land, they just hatch from eggs in the soil of a vernal pool when it's flooded, live for a few days/weeks, and then die after reproducing and producing more eggs.

All's I can think of is that the eggs, in very dry conditions might migrate from a strong wind to another area, but I don't know if that's possible.

banned
    "Lemming Snails."

mtbr member

Re: Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

I am not sure if anybody pointed this out, since I have not read all the pages here. But try to get aware of Agenda 21 and its real intend.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am not sure if anybody pointed this out, since I have not read all the pages here. But try to get aware of Agenda 21 and its real intend.
    Please .....it's been mentioned at least once or twice. For a conspiracy, you need look no further than our very own local oligarchs of the Developer variety. Oh yeah, and just in case you haven't heard, the USMC has become a bunch or rabid environmentalists!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    That's very interesting...from what little I know about them, there is no way for them to crawl or hop on land, they just hatch from eggs in the soil of a vernal pool when it's flooded, live for a few days/weeks, and then die after reproducing and producing more eggs.

All's I can think of is that the eggs, in very dry conditions might migrate from a strong wind to another area, but I don't know if that's possible.
    He found this and said this is exactly what they look like when alive:

Fairy shrimp photo - Chirocephalus diaphanus - A6408 - ARKive

Notice the info under habitat:
    This species inhabits temporary pools, ranging from ponds to muddy ruts, and shows a preference for sites that are subject to regular disturbance by vehicles, livestock, or ploughing (livestock also enrich the site with their dung). The fairy shrimp cannot co-exist with fish and has a broad tolerance of varying levels of temperature, oxygen levels and water chemistry

I am no biologist, but that leads me to believe that having mountain bikers ride though puddles is good for them?

banned
    Sep 2010
    He found this and said this is exactly what they look like when alive:

Fairy shrimp photo - Chirocephalus diaphanus - A6408 - ARKive

Notice the info under habitat:

I am no biologist, but that leads me to believe that having mountain bikers ride though puddles is good for them?

I should think so, especially if said cyclists pause to 'relieve' themselves in the midst of one!

I am curious if anyone has brought this to the attention of those who claim the vernal pools need to be protected. Perhaps we are endangering the survival of this creature by preventing access to bikes and horses and foot traffic?

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Be careful.

You may not be able to use your pool ever again if the right departments find out. How fun would that be? You go outside with your beer, towel, and significant other to enjoy your pool only to be greeted by an armed CDFW officer. Not only has he driven his truck though your garden you are under threat of arrest and given a summons for violating the Endangered Species Act.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Be careful.

You may not be able to use your pool ever again if the right departments find out. How fun would that be? You go outside with your beer, towel, and significant other to enjoy your pool only to be greeted by an armed CDFW officer. Not only has he driven his truck though your garden you are under threat of arrest and given a summons for violating the Endangered Species Act.
    As I mentioned before, was not my pool, one that a friend of mine services on his pool route. he recently got into Riding and I told him about the shrimp shutting down tunnels and parts of the del mar mesa and he told me he sees them after every rain at some of his customers in the Rancho Santa Fe area.

I think it would be hilarious if the CDFW tried to break into someones yard to protect them. I imagine that would not go down well in the public eye, especially considering so many who live in Rancho Santa Fe have money and access to lawyers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Ticket - is it possible to beat?

Has anyone successfully beat the ticket in court recently?

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond_PQ View Post
    Has anyone successfully beat the ticket in court recently?
    Or have been given a ticket lately?
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

I'd like to know this as well. I utilized my one time 30 day extension in hopes of finding out if it is worth my time to face the judge or just pay the fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pcemkr View Post
    I'd like to know this as well. I utilized my one time 30 day extension in hopes of finding out if it is worth my time to face the judge or just pay the fine.
    Face the judge...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Face the judge...

My concern is the stories I have heard where the judge slapped a bigger fine on the individual, albeit this was a year ago. Curious how things have gone with this recent round of enforcement.

mtbr member
    I highly recommend going.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    I highly recommend going.
    Someone here must have more insight than these cryptic messages. Anyone know of or has personally gone to "face the man?".

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I saw a new "game camera" installed outside the gate to the eucalyptus grove. It's unclear to me why someone insists on placing a perfectly good camera in a public place. It has no identification on it and is as good as lost property.

No new truck tracks in the dust.

As to the ticketing thing. I reached out to a local attorney with experience in CDFW citations. Each case is different, but he can explain the ins and outs of the procedure and tactics he can employ to either lessen the citation or get it dismissed. Having someone at your side at the hearing is especially vital if you got more than a ticket (i.e. bike impounded or misdemeanor for riding away). If you don't have representation, the judge just sides with the officer and cleans your clock. As the old saying goes, "he who represents himself has a fool for a client."

It doesn't cost you anything to call him up and ask a few questions.

Isaac Blumberg
    619-525-9911
    San Diego Criminal Defense Lawyer: The Law Office of Isaac Blumberg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A little bird told me there is a game camera loosely zip-tied to a tree about half way down T2 on the right hand side. A strong wind blew through the area and flipped the camera around so it's no longer facing the trail but it's still there...

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    A little bird told me there is a game camera loosely zip-tied to a tree about half way down T2 on the right hand side. A strong wind blew through the area and flipped the camera around so it's no longer facing the trail but it's still there...
    I hope you are not accessing T2 from the top since the only way is from the enclosed mitigation land. Did you mean T3 (rockinghorse)? Either way, it gets expensive real quick if you are unlucky enough to have the breeze blow the wrong way.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Those are like $300 cameras, you know. CDFG doesn't skimp when it comes to investing our tax dollars in equipment!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Someone here must have more insight than these cryptic messages. Anyone know of or has personally gone to "face the man?".
    The person I know just paid the ticket, but I say fight it. Everyone should fight it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'd say at the very least, go in and plead guilty with explanation (if you have a decent explanation).

mtbr member

So where are the new trails???

Just curious, I saw this pic on DT and was reminded that "they" are going to build new trails at DMM. for multi use. Well, where are they?

Or does the city (lack of) planners consider funneling everybody onto the existing fire roads our "new" trail system.
    Tickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-image.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

I personally have knowledge of an instance where a $475 ticket became a $50 ticket just by the simple act of showing up for court. Not saying they all go that way, but it does happen.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    The sad truth is the developer already has installed them to their specifications. It runs from De Vino Ct over to Carmel Mountain Rd. Typical development style. " We have miles of trails*"

* 8 foot wide DG sidewalks along side the road, but hey, we added wooden rails to make it feel like a trail

banned
    Sep 2010
    The sad truth is the developer already has installed them to their specifications. It runs from De Vino Ct over to Carmel Mountain Rd. Typical development style. " We have miles of trails*"

Sad but true. But the way things are going with CDFW, that might end up being the only trail in LPQ and DMM! After all, they may determine that 'mitigation' for Pardee's development as wall as the 'Preserve' require more 'pristine' habitat DMM alone, and close all of LPQ'S trails, too!
    Good Times will REALLY roll, then!

* 8 foot wide DG sidewalks along side the road, but hey, we added wooden rails to make it feel like a trail
    Sad but true. But the way things are going with CDFW, that might end up being the only trail in LPQ and DMM! After all, they may determine that 'mitigation' for Pardee's development as well as the 'Preserve' require more 'pristine' habitat than DMM alone, and close all of LPQ'S trails, too!
    Good Times will REALLY roll, then!

mtbr member
    Our rider friend got one three months ago, $280. First time : (
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member

Any updates.

Just checking to see if anybody has ridden around there lately. Is the CFng F n G still patrolling and issues tickets out there?

I was wanting to ride out there this weekend, but prefer not to get a Christmas present courtesy of the state.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    Just checking to see if anybody has ridden around there lately. Is the CFng F n G still patrolling and issues tickets out there?

I was wanting to ride out there this weekend, but prefer not to get a Christmas present courtesy of the state.
    Give the trails a chance to dry out from the rain today and tomorrow. DMM and PQ do not handle rain well. La Costa would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post

Tunnels is still officially closed, everyone reading this should stay off the closed trails regardless of if it is being patrolled. The more people who violate the closure, the harder it is for those who are trying to get it opened back up, through the correct channels, even if it is taking a long time. Don't make their job harder.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Tunnels is still officially closed, everyone reading this should stay off the closed trails regardless of if it is being patrolled. The more people who violate the closure, the harder it is for those who are trying to get it opened back up, through the correct channels, even if it is taking a long time. Don't make their job harder.
    I am sure he was only referring to the fire roads that are still currently open. But as previously posted it is raining a bit and it is supposed to rain more tonight and tomorrow. This means the glorious and incredibly fragile vernal pools will be filling up and Franky Landis will be up there on his volunteer patrol edumicating people. But in all seriousness, please do give the trails a few days to dry out. La Costa was pretty dry prior to the rains so it should be ok to ride after a day or so.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    I personally have knowledge of an instance where a $475 ticket became a $50 ticket just by the simple act of showing up for court. Not saying they all go that way, but it does happen.
    I talked to a guy who got his $475 ticket dismissed for showing up at the arraignment. He says he got lucky.

Not just showing up, but show up dressed well, a Suit and tie is preferable. Show remorse and have respect for the Judge. All those things will swing in your favor anytime you have to go to court, even for a speeding ticket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Not just showing up, but show up dressed well, a Suit and tie is preferable. Show remorse and have respect for the Judge. All those things will swing in your favor anytime you have to go to court, even for a speeding ticket.
    True that!

Suit and tie. At the very least, a dress shirt and tie. That should put you head and shoulders above everyone else who shows up in a t-shirt or hoodie.

Address the judge or commissioner properly. Say "your honor" every chance you get, like you're in a court room drama.

DO NOT PISS OFF THE BAILIFF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have riders been given tickets on weekdays or just weekends?

Well Biked
    So are DFW wardens still hanging out up there in a truck?

I imagine the fairy shrimp didn't get their puddles this year without the rain.

Let's build one more
    I would have to say no BUT the rangers can/ will ticket and its still off limits.

-Urban Yeti

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    Have riders been given tickets on weekdays or just weekends?
    Both
    They monitored traffic patterns and were there during the busy times which was afternoons and weekends

-Urban Yeti

Well Biked
    And I assume the cameras are still out there by the gate leading into the eucalyptus grove?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    And I assume the cameras are still out there by the gate leading into the eucalyptus grove?
    No, they removed them, the found out what they needed to know which was the best times to sit there so they could try and bust people. Maybe they moved them elsewhere but I don't go there anymore.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Where exactly is Del Mar Mesa? Is hiking also prohibited?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Where exactly is Del Mar Mesa? Is hiking also prohibited?
    Here: https://www.google.com/maps?q=32.946...num=1&t=h&z=18

This is the stand of Eucalyptus trees, which is roughly the center of the area.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Is hiking also prohibited?
    Yes. Everything is prohibited in unauthorized areas.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    Here: https://www.google.com/maps?q=32.946...num=1&t=h&z=18

This is the stand of Eucalyptus trees, which is roughly the center of the area.
    Don't you love that they named the street leading into the McMansion development at the top of Powerline "The Preserve Way?"

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Yes. Everything is prohibited in unauthorized areas.

Don't you love that they named the street leading into the McMansion development at the top of Powerline "The Preserve Way?"
    The folks who own those McMansions sure do love it. They view the CDFW goons as their private minions. I'm sure they feel quite good about that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't think the park rangers and tickets are going to stop any time soon.

I spoke with a friend-of-a-friend who is warden, and he said that a non-profit with deep pockets is behind all this nonsense

According to him, the group (which he would not name) came in and is paying for all the manpower and supplies needed to keep people out of the tunnels.

I would love to know the name of the group, and what their true motive is.

Perhaps someone could call the fish and game, and get to the bottom of it

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqdad View Post
    I don't think the park rangers and tickets are going to stop any time soon.

I spoke with a friend-of-a-friend who is warden, and he said that a non-profit with deep pockets is behind all this nonsense

According to him, the group (which he would not name) came in and is paying for all the manpower and supplies needed to keep people out of the tunnels.

I would love to know the name of the group, and what their true motive is.

Perhaps someone could call the fish and game, and get to the bottom of it
    If someone who gets a ticket wants to conduct discovery to assist in the defense of the ticket, they have the right to do so...and to discover the identity of any organization funding the effort.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast