Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The BrownMike View Post
    Email response from Chris:
    They have written us a letter (attached) which pertains specifically to Mission Trails Regional Park but this sentence pertains to Del Mar Mesa as well:
    The unauthorized construction and use of trails should be immediately addressed and effectively controlled prior to moving forward with plans to redesign or construct new trails in MTRP.

Thanks, Chris
    lets see the letter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    "Effectively controlled" sounds like a reference contingent to the badged thugs being successful in suppressing the tax-paying citizenry.
    I kinda figured it would come to this.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    lets see the letter.
    It was a PDF so I just took screenshots...

Tickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-screen-shot-2013-09-14-3.57.05-pm.pngTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-screen-shot-2013-09-14-3.57.20-pm.pngTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-screen-shot-2013-09-14-3.57.29-pm.pngTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-screen-shot-2013-09-14-3.57.41-pm.pngTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-screen-shot-2013-09-14-3.57.50-pm.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bet they will be happy to accept help to 'repair' (i.e. eradicate) the trails out there. I just hope the SDMBA/IMBA does not step up and volunteer to pitch in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I love fireroads.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    So basically they are saying that the city must stamp out all illegal trail use in both areas before a trails plan that will eliminate any "redundant" trails. I assume the redundant trails will be all singletrack. So why the **** would I want to stop riding those areas knowing that they never intend to allow the legal use of those "redundant" trails? After reading about the pending actions in MTRP I decided to ride there today. Seriously, that is some of the best singletrack in San Diego. It seems to me this city is determined to eat itself. The economic impact of attacking the mountain bike community here will be severely detrimental. I for one am totally fed up and I have decided to leave, I will be relocating to another state that has embraced mountain biking and the money it brings to small communities.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    See you in AZ

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Where exactly is Del Mar Mesa? I've got plans to visit SD County.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    So basically they are saying that the city must stamp out all illegal trail use in both areas before a trails plan that will eliminate any "redundant" trails. I assume the redundant trails will be all singletrack. So why the **** would I want to stop riding those areas knowing that they never intend to allow the legal use of those "redundant" trails? After reading about the pending actions in MTRP I decided to ride there today. Seriously, that is some of the best singletrack in San Diego. It seems to me this city is determined to eat itself. The economic impact of attacking the mountain bike community here will be severely detrimental. I for one am totally fed up and I have decided to leave, I will be relocating to another state that has embraced mountain biking and the money it brings to small communities.
    I moved from SD to North Carolina a little over a year ago, and have never looked back. Good riding and a great trail advocay group, good people, great craft brew scene, lower cost of living, the list goes on.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The BrownMike View Post
    It was a PDF so I just took screenshots...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 3.57.05 PM.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	831952
    Seems they're confused between park and preserve. In the end though, if adequate trails would have existed, none of this would have ever taken place. Can't say people haven't been told over and over and over again.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I moved from SD to North Carolina a little over a year ago, and have never looked back. Good riding and a great trail advocay group, good people, great craft brew scene, lower cost of living, the list goes on.
    I am moving to Charlotte. Can't wait. I will miss being able to ride year round but I guess I will just invest in cold weather riding gear and rain gear. San Diego has some great riding but it sucks having to drive so far to get to the good stuff. Trails are becoming overcrowded. I remember when they delayed the DMM trails plan in 2009. I expected it would take about 1 year for them to come to an agreement and either approve or disapprove. It is now close to the end of 2013 and they have done nothing. Now they say the illegal use must be dealt with BEFORE they will consider any proposals. Maybe I am just ignorant but it sounds like the revamped DFG or whatever they call themselves these days just wants the park rangers to do the dirty work. Either way we as taxpayers get to pay them to keep us OFF the trails and for what? To preserve the pristine, former bombing ranges and migrant dumping grounds? We have done more to preserve DMM than anyone by keeping the riff raff out and cleaning up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am moving to Charlotte. Can't wait. I will miss being able to ride year round but I guess I will just invest in cold weather riding gear and rain gear. San Diego has some great riding but it sucks having to drive so far to get to the good stuff. Trails are becoming overcrowded. I remember when they delayed the DMM trails plan in 2009. I expected it would take about 1 year for them to come to an agreement and either approve or disapprove. It is now close to the end of 2013 and they have done nothing. Now they say the illegal use must be dealt with BEFORE they will consider any proposals. Maybe I am just ignorant but it sounds like the revamped DFG or whatever they call themselves these days just wants the park rangers to do the dirty work. Either way we as taxpayers get to pay them to keep us OFF the trails and for what? To preserve the pristine, former bombing ranges and migrant dumping grounds? We have done more to preserve DMM than anyone by keeping the riff raff out and cleaning up.
    You will be surprised, as I was. Yeah, you will need some jacket's and a base layer, but it is not bad. The riding here is year round. You will have some trails not to far a way, not to mention all the goodness in Pisgah. Oh, throw your so cal tires a way. They do not work out here on the roots and rocks when it is damp.

Check out tarheeltrailblazers.com and Charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I certainly can't fault you for leaving: it seems like the bicycle-haters have succeeded. Now they have badged, gun-toting, taser-bearing "Wildlife Officers" to "protect the habitat" from the scourge of singletrack trails. Look for them soon in a local open space park near you. They're comin', and they mean 'bidness!

If I could figure out a way/ place to get out of San Diego to, I would. This county, and the entire state have been far too crowded for the last 20 years or so.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I certainly can't fault you for leaving: it seems like the bicycle-haters have succeeded. Now they have badged, gun-toting, taser-bearing "Wildlife Officers" to "protect the habitat" from the scourge of singletrack trails. Look for them soon in a local open space park near you. They're comin', and they mean 'bidness!

If I could figure out a way/ place to get out of San Diego to, I would. This county, and the entire state have been far too crowded for the last 20 years or so.
    I think the bike haters successes will be short lived. Like in Marin where they effectively stamped out bikes on 98% of all singletrack but now the bikers have organized and trails are being built and opened up because of severe backlash against the anti-bike groups. My decision to leave is based mainly on the fact that my company allows me to do my job from anywhere. Moving to Charlotte will be like getting a $20,000 dollar a year raise. Housing alone will be 50% less.

I'm your density
    When life gives you lemons...

...build up a CX/gravel-grinder and ride the **** out of the fire roads.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

official eMpTyBRain
    Moving to Charlotte will be like getting a $20,000 dollar a year raise. Housing alone will be 50% less.
    I see the pros but you must also include the cons or in this case, the con, which is a big one.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post

this has been my thought exactly.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Come on, come all. LPCP CAC meeting Thursday, 7:00 pm at the Canyonside Park Adobe. While we are two years too late, come see history made with board elections. Voice your opinions overr the DFG clampdown. The park rangers will be there. Be respectful but let them hear the voice of the community. They monitor these boards and know the displeasure. Show up and make an impression.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Come on, come all. LPCP CAC meeting Thursday, 7:00 pm at the Canyonside Park Adobe. While we are two years too late, come see history made with board elections. Voice your opinions overr the DFG clampdown. The park rangers will be there. Be respectful but let them hear the voice of the community. They monitor these boards and know the displeasure. Show up and make an impression.
    BB- How come this issue isn't on the agenda?
    Also, will a SDBMA member be present to bring up the topic?
    San Diego needs singletrack

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post

Actually, if EMFC see this, he will be kicking down doors to get orders back to san Diego and get on some of that gravel!!!

Where are ya EMFC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    BB- How come this issue isn't on the agenda?
    Also, will a SDBMA member be present to bring up the topic?
    I can answer those questions, as I am the person who sets that Agenda:

--because there hasn't been any request by any of: an agency, the CAC members, the public ...for such an item.

--yes, the SDMBA and Multiuse Trails Coalition are usually in attendance. The SDMBA rep is out of town, and so they're sending an alternate who happens to have great familiarity with the topics discussed within this forum thread.

Clarification: as CAC Chair, I have requested City Staff to present their status of the "Del Mar Mesa Habitat Study" that's being used to stall the implementation of the 2011 trails plan, for over a year, repeatedly. City staff refuse to present or report to the public at the CAC meeting. That refusal takes the form of "not ready until next month" (over and over) or "can't be there that night" or other disingenuous bureaucratese that's designed to ensure the public has no opportunity to comment or observe the ongoing process. So, with that in mind, it's been "on the agenda" but doesn't happen to be this month.

If you have something you'd like to convince the CAC members to discuss and consider as a body, please show up and be persuasive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    I can answer those questions, as I am the person who sets that Agenda:

--because there hasn't been any request by any of: an agency, the CAC members, the public ...for such an item.

--yes, the SDMBA and Multiuse Trails Coalition are usually in attendance. The SDMBA rep is out of town, and so they're sending an alternate who happens to have great familiarity with the topics discussed within this forum thread.

Clarification: as CAC Chair, I have requested City Staff to present their status of the "Del Mar Mesa Habitat Study" that's being used to stall the implementation of the 2011 trails plan, for over a year, repeatedly. City staff refuse to present or report to the public at the CAC meeting. That refusal takes the form of "not ready until next month" (over and over) or "can't be there that night" or other disingenuous bureaucratese that's designed to ensure the public has no opportunity to comment or observe the ongoing process. So, with that in mind, it's been "on the agenda" but doesn't happen to be this month.

If you have something you'd like to convince the CAC members to discuss and consider as a body, please show up and be persuasive.

In case any of you don't know, EBasil above, has put more blood, sweat, and tears into fighting the bicycle-haters in the LPQ/DMM area over the last 15 years than any two others I can think of, and I can think of quite a few. Almost singlehandedly, he was responsible for the re-opening of Cobbles and the North side trail in LPQ years ago. (Yes! it WAS illegal to ride a bicycle on ANY trail north of the creek for many years! Thanks, Eric!)
    Considering his professional credentials, the fact that even as CAC Chair, he can't get any action accomplished, should speak volumes about the crony-ist, elitist groups that want to have things THEIR way, and the Hoi Polloi be damned.

And we WILL be damned if we don't get it clear just WHO those elitists are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am not sure if this applies but as a professional in land use the governing agency is required to respond within 30 days or deem an application incomplete. This is part of CEQA, the California Environmental Quality Act, the document that "governs" all of the agencies in the state. It seems the game that has been played is delay and as the public we are in some form the applicant. Perhaps if this is brought up to the city we could get a response from the city.

http://ceres.ca.gov/ceqa/guidelines/15100-15112_web.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I'm right there with you Ray...too busy for me. You're the only one I've heard that feels that way.

I was ticketed after crossing the vehicle barrier near tunnels last month. It's a $280 ticket, despite what the LEOs said.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    I'm right there with you Ray...too busy for me. You're the only one I've heard that feels that way.
    I'm never too vocal about it on forums, but I've been plotting my escape for years. 2nd-generation native, have watched this place go to absolute crap in my 51 years. Having gotten back into MTBing in 2008, and watching how that has deteriorated in the past few years, is just piss-flavored icing on the shitcake.

If my kids weren't so embedded in their school & activities here, we'd be gone like that.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast