Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lobster season starts up this weekend. They are usually at every launch ramp and pier trying to enforce. It will be interesting......

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Thanks. Somebody had referred to the enforcement guy as feds, thus the source of my confusion. I wonder what other funding needs SANDAG might be leaving unfilled to pay for this nonsense, and aren't there some abalone or steelhead getting poached somewhere that should rate higher in terms of resource protection? Sigh...
    I'm sure that the fish and game poachers are LOVING this new agenda!

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    It's a $280 ticket for first offenders. So that revenue can justify the wasted funding for manned enforcement.
    Getting caught for poaching is way more expensive than that, sooooo....They must be getting more incentive somewhere to be pulled off poach watch and put onto mtb'er harass.

Believe me, there are poachers everywhere...there is no shortage of poachers, and tickets to be issued.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    Getting caught for poaching is way more expensive than that, sooooo....They must be getting more incentive somewhere to be pulled off poach watch and put onto mtb'er harass.

Believe me, there are poachers everywhere...there is no shortage of poachers, and tickets to be issued.
    As EBasil said above, SANDAG is paying them! OUR local tax revenues! Is that cool, or not?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    As EBasil said above, SANDAG is paying them!
    So here's a question. I wonder what SANDAG's specific funding source for this is? Property taxes? Developer fees?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I took a reporter for the Carmel Valley News up on DMM this past Saturday morning to have a look around. He was able to get the opinions of several bikers and a hiker regarding the recent ramp-up in enforcement. He was last out there in 2008 when the area first became "off limits." I can't believe it's been 5 years without any significant progress.

He's looking to speak to anyone who has been ticketed in the area recently. Obviously, this would be someone whose not intending to fight the ticket. If anyone is willing to chat, please post or send me a private message.

The article will probably run in a couple of weeks.

Titanium Club
    Okay, I'll ask. Is our friend The Gerst a State or A Fed?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdball View Post
    He's not still alive, is he? Looked like death warmed over the last time I saw him, and that was a few years back.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdball View Post
    Neither. He was a volunteer as is the entire CAC board. Whether you like the man or not, there is no need knock a man when he is down. I am not a fan of his anti-bike stance that has become the legacy the current board is trying to overcome. He is not part of the CAC and has not been for over a year. He has personal health issues. Keep it civil and let it go. There are far bigger and more important issues than this.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Neither. He was a volunteer as is the entire CAC board. Whether you like the man or not, there is no need knock a man when he is down. I am not a fan of his anti-bike stance that has become the legacy the current board is trying to overcome. He is not part of the CAC and has not been for over a year. He has personal health issues. Keep it civil and let it go. There are far bigger and more important issues than this.
    I'm just glad to hear he's still alive. Although, it seemed to me that even when he was involved, actively involved, i the CAC, that he looked to be in constant discomfort. But that just might be me, projecting.
    As you say, BB, none of that matters anymore. Now, we are dealing with the fallout of how the State sees mitigation for the developers activities. As for Gerst, I wish him a peaceful transition.

At any rate, I haven't even been near DMM or all of those trails that I loved for a long time now, and I don't intend to go back there, either.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    There is hope for some of the trails.

Just keep an open mind. The approved plan, barring any negative archaeology impact report, is to open portions of the rim trail on the west side, including the the switch backs, and on the east side, tunnel 4 , and tunnel 1.

We are also working to convince the Dept of Fish and Wildlife to allow access to the east/west corridor currently off limits. This would also allow access to Rocking Horse (Tunnel 3) Whether that will be allowed and to what extent is up in the air right now. There is language in the DF&W doctrine that allows for access, including bikes, at their discretion. That is part of why it is so important that we get people to stay out of there (beside the recent military style enforcement). The meeting with them is in November/December. When we get closer and get better details, I will become a bigger posting machine than I already am.

Like I said at the top, just keep an open mind and try to stay out of the DMM other than the fire road for now.

banned
    Sep 2010
    There is hope for some of the trails.

Just keep an open mind. The approved plan, barring any negative archaeology impact report, is to open portions of the rim trail on the west side, including the the switch backs, and on the east side, tunnel 4 , and tunnel 1.

We are also working to convince the Dept of Fish and Wildlife to allow access to the east/west corridor currently off limits. This would also allow access to Rocking Horse (Tunnel 3) Whether that will be allowed and to what extent is up in the air right now. There is language in the DF&W doctrine that allows for access, including bikes, at their discretion. That is part of why it is so important that we get people to stay out of there (beside the recent military style enforcement). The meeting with them is in November/December. When we get closer and get better details, I will become a bigger posting machine than I already am.

Like I said at the top, just keep an open mind and try to stay out of the DMM other than the fire road for now.

I'm glad your'e out there, BB. I got no stomach for it anymore.
    I'm not discouraged, but I'm gettin' there.....

Let's build one more
    +1

Leave that crap to our government...
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

Titanium Club
    Okay, my mistake. Who is the guy/dept working overtime handing out tickets? It sucks that we have so many people out of work, and yet this non essential task being enforced with questionable overtime pay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    Lobster season starts up this weekend. They are usually at every launch ramp and pier trying to enforce. It will be interesting......
    I was up on the dirt road yesterday evening and it looked like there had not been any CDFW activity since last weekend. The signs were all bent inward and the gate was wide open. There were no truck tracks in the dust either. So either they are protecting lobsters now, or their mandate is partially funded by federal funds.

I noticed game camera housing that I never noticed before, so it may be new. It was on the South side of the road, set up to capture images near the gate leading to the eucalyptus grove. There was no camera in it.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadbike View Post
    I was up on the dirt road yesterday evening and it looked like there had not been any CDFW activity since last weekend. The signs were all bent inward and the gate was wide open. There were no truck tracks in the dust either. So either they are protecting lobsters now, or their mandate is partially funded by federal funds.

I noticed game camera housing that I never noticed before, so it may be new. It was on the South side of the road, set up to capture images near the gate leading to the eucalyptus grove. There was no camera in it.
    Thanks for the update. The camera housing has been there for some time, but there's always been a camera in it....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yesterday about noon there was a SUV up on the mesa, it was
    on one of the closed trails. It was to far away to tell who it belonged
    to though.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Yesterday about noon there was a SUV up on the mesa, it was
    on one of the closed trails. It was to far away to tell who it belonged
    to though.
    Thanks for the report, John. I'm steering clear of the whole area these days. I hate riding where I'm not welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

Noticed fresh truck tracks Wednesday evening. Stay clear for now please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The main north-south road is still open, just don't
    ride anything else in that area. I still like doing power
    lines and cobbles. They are both good climbs.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The main north-south road is still open, just don't
    ride anything else in that area. I still like doing power
    lines and cobbles. They are both good climbs.
    Yes, and there's still Sh*tz, although the switchbacks must be gettin' mighty soft about now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was out Saturday morning and saw what looked like a DFG SUV exiting through the gate at the top of power line as I was climbing up.

Yes, there is still the Sh*tz, but it's like riding in a bowl of flour....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadbike View Post
    I took a reporter for the Carmel Valley News up on DMM this past Saturday morning to have a look around. He was able to get the opinions of several bikers and a hiker regarding the recent ramp-up in enforcement. He was last out there in 2008 when the area first became "off limits." I can't believe it's been 5 years without any significant progress.

He's looking to speak to anyone who has been ticketed in the area recently. Obviously, this would be someone whose not intending to fight the ticket. If anyone is willing to chat, please post or send me a private message.

The article will probably run in a couple of weeks.
    Here's a link to the article that runs today in the Carmel Valley News and sister publications:

Local residents react to stronger enforcement of Del Mar Mesa Preserve trails use - Del Mar Times | Del Mar Times

I particularly like the warden's comments about the doctors, military officials, and airline pilots they have cited and how people try to out-run them. That had me laughing out loud. I think it really highlights how ridiculous the government is being. These aren't people you normally associate with trespassing, dumping, and littering.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Thanks for linking that article!

Hopefully we can use this to help further spread the word around and get more people involved.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for linking the article. It says that the SANDAG / CDFW contract to pay for enforcement ends this month but is expected to be renewed. Is there any way to find out if does or does not get renewed, and for how long? Wondering if meeting minutes get posted somewhere accessible by the public, would be interesting to see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Keith Greer, a Senior Regional Planner for SANDAG can be reached here: (619) 699-7390, Email: keith.greer@sandag.org

We should all send him an e-mail and voice mail encouraging the contract not to be renewed with CDFW. Those dollars should be spent improving areas, not ticketing trail users.

Information on meetings conducted by the Environmental Mitigation Program Working Group can be found here: SANDAG ::COMMITTEES:: San Diego's Regional Planning Agency

Meeting Schedule
    The EMPWG generally meets from 1 to 3 p.m. on the second Tuesday of every other month (odd months).

banned
    Sep 2010
    Yet again, Canadbike, thanks for posting that up. It was good to see Eric Basil quoted in that article, as he is the man who knows all too well the years-long history of the indifference, duplicity, and abuse of that area.
    We all know this, and so does Zirkle....the vast majority of the cleanup efforts that changed that area from a dumping-ground and off-roaders' Thunderdome-scene up top, and a genuinely huge migrant settlement in the ravines, or "Tunnels", as they are known, was performed, free of charge, by SDMBA. After the last of the work for the migrants was finished, they got cleared out, and their trash sat, for years, untouched.

Of course, we're supposed to believe that nobody in SANDAG or any other branch of government was aware of that, or of the pot farms, the meth labs....etc. Which may be a real possibility as I look at the dysfunctional state of government in general these days.

The ranger quoted in the article who used the term "entitlement mentality" really does not have a clue as to who the REAL entitlement mentality people are, or else he doesn't care, as long as he gets his paycheck.
    If my opinion of the local government-by-cronyism was not at rock-bottom low, it is now.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    ---
    "Ference said multiple cameras installed in early summer in the preserve by Sandag documented 1,600 trespassing violations over a four-week period.
    “It was so out of control something had to be done and that’s kind of why we were brought in,” Ference said. "
    ---

No, no, no, no, those are game cameras guys! A student, a study... pinky swear!

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    ---
    "Ference said multiple cameras installed in early summer in the preserve by Sandag documented 1,600 trespassing violations over a four-week period.
    “It was so out of control something had to be done and that’s kind of why we were brought in,” Ference said. "
    ---

"we are ONLY looking at hoof, shoes, and wheels"

That's why the cameras can see every part of the trespasser..
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    "we are ONLY looking at hoof, shoes, and wheels"

That's why the cameras can see every part of the trespasser..
    To a certain extent, they are all complicit in these lies. Knowingly or not. They need to at least get them straight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I am moving to Charlotte. Can't wait. I will miss being able to ride year round but I guess I will just invest in cold weather riding gear and rain gear. San Diego has some great riding but it sucks having to drive so far to get to the good stuff. Trails are becoming overcrowded. I remember when they delayed the DMM trails plan in 2009. I expected it would take about 1 year for them to come to an agreement and either approve or disapprove. It is now close to the end of 2013 and they have done nothing. Now they say the illegal use must be dealt with BEFORE they will consider any proposals. Maybe I am just ignorant but it sounds like the revamped DFG or whatever they call themselves these days just wants the park rangers to do the dirty work. Either way we as taxpayers get to pay them to keep us OFF the trails and for what? To preserve the pristine, former bombing ranges and migrant dumping grounds? We have done more to preserve DMM than anyone by keeping the riff raff out and cleaning up.
    Congrats on the move to Charlotte! I live here now. I lived in San Diego for 13 years. I could ride my bike to Del Mar Mesa since I lived in Del Mar.

The riding here in the Charlotte area and within 2 hours drive BLOWS AWAY San Diego!

My brother just came for a visit 2 weeks ago and I took him to Warrior Creek and he loved it! He couldn't believe how great the ride was.

I rode all winter last year in shorts and a jersey. Never got that cold and didn't rain much at all. Rode just about every weekend.

I do miss the surf in San Diego and the weather but Charlotte is real nice. Incredible mountain biking year round. They just built more trails at Lake Norman State Park.

mtbr member
    ---

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    ---
    ---

The cameras the rangers and CDFW officials are using are the same type of cameras that WERE used for game tracking by a SDSU graduate student. They are also the same cameras that track animal foot traffic at lots of areas outside of PQ. There used to be three of them at the Scripps/Poway Parkway underpassing in Poway, one under the Camino Del Sur bridge, and a few more in other areas around Black Mountain and PQ.

FWIW, when all this was first erupting, I spoke via email with the grad student. She was legit. Furthermore, Ranger Washington openly shared there were cameras on the mesa, tracking traffic other than animal. They wanted to know the traffic patterns and how to better manage it.

From the September 2012 report given to the CAC

The Open Space Division with San Diego Association of Governments and the San Diego Management & Monitoring Program has begun a recreational use study on Del Mar Mesa. This includes an intense educational component using signs, face to face contacts and cameras to track use. The educational phase of the project has begun. As we were setting up the practice cameras, to figure out the best placement and how collect the data, two of our cameras were stolen (we learned what doesn’t work). But, since two of our cameras were stolen, we have to buy more so the study is taking longer than originally planned. The pictures from the cameras will be viewed by City Open Space Division Rangers, Multiple Species Conservation Program (MSCP) staff and interns who will tally the use. It is our aim to position the cameras to capture usership, i.e. wheels, ankles, hooves. The purpose of the study is to help us learn the best strategy to manage Open Space Preserves with high recreation use. All the data we gather, like all other City information, is available to the public, however, it won’t be published on a website.

It was openly posted here. Yet everybody still went on the trails. So now we have the "1600 violations documented in a four week time frame", heavy handed enforcement, and the mess that goes with it. I doubt they will back off any time soon.
    Last edited by bankerboy; 10-12-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling errors and additional info

banned
    Sep 2010

It was openly posted here. Yet everybody still went on the trails. So now we have the "1600 violations documented in a four week time frame", heavy handed enforcement, and the mess that goes with it. I doubt they will back off any time soon.
    Instead of thinking about when they should 'back off', maybe they should think about those 1600 trail users, people who live nearby, many who moved there just so they could use those trails that have been around for decades.

If I were them, I'd think about those citizens, and how best to serve their needs. Just a suggestion...........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the people on MTBR and other bike forums greatly overestimate the impact they have. I'm the only one in my regular group ride that looks at the forums, out of ~12 riders. That ratio is about the same with the <30 year olds at my work who I sometimes ride with, so it's not just a generational thing.

mtbr member

Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

When a restriction or law seems unfair, illogical, unnecessary to its stated purposes, etc, people are for the most part going to ignore it. In those circumstances, the only way to enforce compliance is with brute force. Education won't work, since no one is ever going to buy that the only way to save endangered species there is to stop using trails that have already been in use for decades with little apparent harm to the species in question. New trail construction would obviously be another issue.

As a result, doctors, lawyers, military officers, university professors, soccer moms, etc, have all become criminals.

Ultimately, this kind of idiocy only serves to generate hostility to even sensible environmental restrictions at this location and elsewhere. That's the sad part. And this is all coming from someone who has self-identified as an "environmentalist" for most of his life!

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    The cameras the rangers and CDFW officials are using are the same type of cameras that WERE used for game tracking by a SDSU graduate student.
    I didn't really mean that as a jab at you, I meant it as a jab at the park and officials Unless of course, you actually do believe the BS that is being fed to the riders, hikers, joggers, etc. Like that the cameras are being used to figure out how to "manage" open space. At this point, what they've figure out seems to be "people are still here, so lets go out and issue citations"... that, in short, isn't a solution and it's unacceptable. Possibly the more accurate statement would be that the cameras were placed to survey whether or not actively enforcing the closures would be fiscally feasible... I.E. are there enough violations to be issued to justify the presence of officers (or whatever their title is).

When the city officials say "there's nothing we can do about it" it is exactly that. BS.

There's plenty that can be done, regardless of budget but people have to want to get things done and as of the last half a decade, nothing is happening to want to improve trail access.

The user base has mostly said across the board "let's work on a solution" and the other side (city, county, etc) hasn't stepped up to the plate to work together for a solution. Prior to saying "well, we're just waiting on the archeological survey", remember the closures took place in... 2008 was it? So 5 years now? From a taxpayers point of view, that simply isn't acceptable.

For the record, I haven't ridden there in a long time but I pay my property taxes like a good resident and quite frankly, I'm disgusted at the city and county's approach to such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    I think the people on MTBR and other bike forums greatly overestimate the impact they have. I'm the only one in my regular group ride that looks at the forums, out of ~12 riders. That ratio is about the same with the <30 year olds at my work who I sometimes ride with, so it's not just a generational thing.
    I agree with this statement. I ride with about 6 different close friends and I am the only one of our group who frequents any Mountain Biking Forums of any kind. I think those of us who are on these sites and aware of what is going on are in a very small minority when it comes to the total number of trail users. I would venture to say (and this is a total guess) that less than 1% of hikers/walkers/trail runners who use the same trails we do go on forums to discuss the local trail use.

The only thing we can do is inform our friends via word of mouth, etc.

It also might be good to get Turko involved so he can spread the word on a more public level..............

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would tend to agree. I'm no scientist, and gynecology is only a hobby of mine, but I do remember a thing or two about the scientific method from frickin' HIGH SCHOOL!

I they were really trying to get a sense of how many people use DMM, it would need to be open to the public. Obviously, it's going to get way more use if it's open, and they have no idea what that number is. People not looking for stress or confrontation on their weekend ride/hike have found other places to ride/hike.

So I think the "use study" is merely a pretext for collecting evidence to justify spending money on enforcement. No self-respecting scientist could state that the use their recording is an accurate portrayal of what actual use would be. No doubt, the 1600 "violations" were used to secure funding for the BS that's going on now.

The other Problem here is the simple access to trails is what constitutes a "Violation".

As a pretty rational person wouldn't a Violation be the cutting of trees, making new trails, or in some other way disturbing the vegetation and wildlife beyond something other than just using an existing trail? Can someone who is land manager please explain how accessing an existing trail is hurtful to the environment, because I don't buy it.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I agree with this statement. I ride with about 6 different close friends and I am the only one of our group who frequents any Mountain Biking Forums of any kind. I think those of us who are on these sites and aware of what is going on are in a very small minority when it comes to the total number of trail users. I would venture to say (and this is a total guess) that less than 1% of hikers/walkers/trail runners who use the same trails we do go on forums to discuss the local trail use.

The only thing we can do is inform our friends via word of mouth, etc.

It also might be good to get Turko involved so he can spread the word on a more public level..............
    Turko backed down when I, a bicycle commuter, was denied access to Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery to visit my father's plaque, one of the few that has 3 wars on it. I was told this, while cemetery employees zipped back and forth on their bicycles.

When I first contacted Turko, he was all Gung-Ho on the phone about it, and we scheduled a meet there. By the time he arrived, somebody had told him to back off, Bad Doggy, or something, and all he could do was stand there and smoke a cig while the workers came and went on their bikes.

So if there are any heavy hitters behind this, and you know there are, he might not be so brave on your behalf.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Aren't most of the heavy hitters getting too old to care? I mean when do these a-holes trade in their horses for hoveround scooters?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    When a restriction or law seems unfair, illogical, unnecessary to its stated purposes, etc, people are for the most part going to ignore it. In those circumstances, the only way to enforce compliance is with brute force. Education won't work, since no one is ever going to buy that the only way to save endangered species there is to stop using trails that have already been in use for decades with little apparent harm to the species in question. New trail construction would obviously be another issue.

As a result, doctors, lawyers, military officers, university professors, soccer moms, etc, have all become criminals.

Ultimately, this kind of idiocy only serves to generate hostility to even sensible environmental restrictions at this location and elsewhere. That's the sad part. And this is all coming from someone who has self-identified as an "environmentalist" for most of his life!
    Great post

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Turko backed down when I, a bicycle commuter, was denied access to Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery to visit my father's plaque, one of the few that has 3 wars on it. I was told this, while cemetery employees zipped back and forth on their bicycles.

When I first contacted Turko, he was all Gung-Ho on the phone about it, and we scheduled a meet there. By the time he arrived, somebody had told him to back off, Bad Doggy, or something, and all he could do was stand there and smoke a cig while the workers came and went on their bikes.

So if there are any heavy hitters behind this, and you know there are, he might not be so brave on your behalf.
    Turko works for KUSI. KUSI has great local sports coverage, but all the rest of the coverage is very slanted towards a political agenda.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    Turko works for KUSI. KUSI has great local sports coverage, but all the rest of the coverage is very slanted towards a political agenda.
    Of course, ALL of the local media, as well as the print media, is politicized to some extent or the other. Turko's self-credentialed role/character as a 'rogue' gives you hope, and by all means give it a try.
    You are free to PM me if you want some more detail on my experience, which was neither positive, or negative, with him. I'd say it was a "wash".

Certain situations should not be 'political' in any way, but that does not change the way things get done here in "America's Finest City" ( anyone remember how that little promotion got started?), or as somebody else once dubbed us, "Enron-by-the-Sea."

Fairy Shrimp

This is sorta on topic and I did not think it warranted a new thread.

One of the reasons the Del Mar Mesa is off limits is to protect the Fairy Shrimp right? What would happen if the people who are out to protect them saw this scenario from a local pool guy?

Tickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-fairy-shrimp-1.jpgTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-fairy-shrimp-2.jpgTickets being issues on ALL of  Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels-fairy-shrimp-3.jpg

The shrimp jump in the pools, die and get caught in the cleaners and are then discarded.

Maybe the Enviro guys need to be targeting rich people in Rancho Santa Fe that have big pools. Something tells me one pool kills more of these bugs than any mountain biker has ever done.

Could you imagine..... haha.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This is sorta on topic and I did not think it warranted a new thread.

One of the reasons the Del Mar Mesa is off limits is to protect the Fairy Shrimp right? What would happen if the people who are out to protect them saw this scenario from a local pool guy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairy shrimp 1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	840943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairy shrimp 2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	840944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairy shrimp 3.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	840945

The shrimp jump in the pools, die and get caught in the cleaners and are then discarded.

Maybe the Enviro guys need to be targeting rich people in Rancho Santa Fe that have big pools. Something tells me one pool kills more of these bugs than any mountain biker has ever done.

Could you imagine..... haha.
    That's interesting, but I've seen the fairy shrimp, and they look almost identical to the brine shrimp I would buy to feed my tropical fish when I had aquariums. They were much smaller than those things in your picture there. Plus, I don't believe that fairy shrimp are capable of "jumping"..... at least they don't look like they could do much of anything except move around slowly in shallow water.

What I think would be interesting is if it turns out that DMM is so critical because it's preserve status was underwritten by the local developers as mitigation land for all of the habitat they destroyed from plopping down suburban tracts where there previously was 'habitat'.

If so, shouldn't they also be liable for funding the construction of new alternative trails to replace the miles of former trails that they obliterated? I wonder if Turko would take up 'the fight' on THAT issue!

After all, "IT AIN'T RIGHT!"

If those are not the same thing..... does anyone know what they are?

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Do you have anything in the picture for size perspective? They look like pink pill bugs or "rolly-pollies".

The rain or damp weather brings out all sorts of hidden creatures. I get lots of cone snails in my pool after a rain. Apparently the rain drives them to mass suicide by pool.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast