Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You sound like one of those IMBA fools.

How do you think all of those skateparks got built? Lots of reasons, but one is leverage: City planners know that if they don't provide an outlet for the skaters, the kids will "damage" all of their pretty stairs and curbs. What leverage have you got?

Very few MB groups take this approach, but they seem to get what they want:

How the first legal dedicated DH trail system was built in the US
    Last edited by recitio; 09-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A friend of mine was recently ticketed here. He actually only went a few feet inside the opening in the gate before turning around and heading down the fireroad. He was "in the zone" listening to loud music and apparently a truck was behind him for a while before he noticed (at break between songs). He pulled to the side to make room expecting the ranger to pass and was surprised when he found out he was the one in trouble. He got a ticket for trespassing and another misdemeanor for obstructing the duty of an officer. Two ranger trucks and another officer on a bike showed up, probably the most fun they had all day. My buddy is in his mid fifties, makes plenty of $$, and has never been in trouble with the law. The idea that he would knowingly run away to avoid a fine is ridiculous. He doesn't care about paying the trespassing fine but is worried about the misdemeanor since it's a criminal offense, he is not sure if he should get a lawyer or what. Any advice for him?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    A friend of mine was recently ticketed here. He actually only went a few feet inside the opening in the gate before turning around and heading down the fireroad. He was "in the zone" listening to loud music and apparently a truck was behind him for a while before he noticed (at break between songs). He pulled to the side to make room expecting the ranger to pass and was surprised when he found out he was the one in trouble. He got a ticket for trespassing and another misdemeanor for obstructing the duty of an officer. Two ranger trucks and another officer on a bike showed up, probably the most fun they had all day. My buddy is in his mid fifties, makes plenty of $$, and has never been in trouble with the law. The idea that he would knowingly run away to avoid a fine is ridiculous. He doesn't care about paying the trespassing fine but is worried about the misdemeanor since it's a criminal offense, he is not sure if he should get a lawyer or what. Any advice for him?
    For one, never ride with two ear buds in.

two, don't stop for rangers.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post

How do you think all of those skateparks got built? Lots of reasons, but one is leverage: City planners know that if they don't provide an outlet for the skaters, the kids will "damage" all of their pretty stairs and curbs. What leverage have you got?

Couple things with this video..

Mountain biking trails were already legally established and accepted in the Teton Pass where the down hill trails were built. In other words, they already had a foothold. That is hardly the case here. In the two hotly contested areas, the DMM and Mission Trails, the approach by the city of San Diego is these were never legal trails so you cannot be there. That has to change.

The enforcement appears different. We are up against armed DFG officers who are actively patrolling. The active protest you are advocating will only enrich their coffers and justify the security presence. The change needs to come from within the city before we see a change in the field.

The Freedom Riders had to lose numerous trails to maintain the one legal trail in the beginning. They had to compromise to get the approval of the forest service. I cannot speak for Mission Trails, but at the DMM, there is an approved but far from optimal trails plan approved by the Dept of Parks and Req and is awaiting site studies. It is along the same line perused in the video. Nothing moves fast and this appears to be bogged down now. But how long did the process take in the video? It was no where near fast or overnight.

We need so much more people power but have not received it. There are a few who are pursuing the business side (developers, bike shops, and the like) to help generate more movement. Watch the titles of some of the movers in the video - business owners and prominent business folk who were willing to stand up for their cause.

You speak of taking your tax dollars elsewhere? How exactly do you dictate how your tax dollars are spent? Sure you can avoid sales tax but you cannot control the allocations of the state coffers. That is, unless you vote.

Probably the hardest part for lots of people to digest and accept is even when we are victorious, not all the trails will be left. Exactly what happened in the video.

So lets leave it at this. Feel free to do your thing and I will do mine. This fool's goal is to make sure there are trails for my kids and theirs. If we go with the "ride it while you can" and do nothing to secure the future, there is no future for these trails.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Contact info for the southern region office of DFG/DFW

AskR5@wildlife.ca.gov
    Main Office
    3883 Ruffin Road
    San Diego, CA 92123
    (858) 467-4201
    FAX: (858) 467-4299
    EMAIL the South Coast Region
    Regional Manager: Ed Pert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ok. any legal advice? anyone else get tagged with the "obstruction" charge?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    ok. any legal advice? anyone else get tagged with the "obstruction" charge?
    Sorry, your friend is probably SOL. I have heard the tickets for trespassing is between $75 to over $400. I have no idea on the "obstruction" charge but I cannot imagine it is not cheap.

Only advice (non-legal person here) is to show up and hope for leniency. It helped me in a red light ticket years ago when they were used rampantly. Judge lowered the bail from $475 to $275 for just showing up. I am sure there are lots of other strategies but that is the one card I know.

Tell him good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Couple things with this video..

Mountain biking trails were already legally established and accepted in the Teton Pass where the down hill trails were built. In other words, they already had a foothold. That is hardly the case here. In the two hotly contested areas, the DMM and Mission Trails, the approach by the city of San Diego is these were never legal trails so you cannot be there. That has to change.

The enforcement appears different. We are up against armed DFG officers who are actively patrolling. The active protest you are advocating will only enrich their coffers and justify the security presence. The change needs to come from within the city before we see a change in the field.

The Freedom Riders had to lose numerous trails to maintain the one legal trail in the beginning. They had to compromise to get the approval of the forest service. I cannot speak for Mission Trails, but at the DMM, there is an approved but far from optimal trails plan approved by the Dept of Parks and Req and is awaiting site studies. It is along the same line perused in the video. Nothing moves fast and this appears to be bogged down now. But how long did the process take in the video? It was no where near fast or overnight.

We need so much more people power but have not received it. There are a few who are pursuing the business side (developers, bike shops, and the like) to help generate more movement. Watch the titles of some of the movers in the video - business owners and prominent business folk who were willing to stand up for their cause.

You speak of taking your tax dollars elsewhere? How exactly do you dictate how your tax dollars are spent? Sure you can avoid sales tax but you cannot control the allocations of the state coffers. That is, unless you vote.

Probably the hardest part for lots of people to digest and accept is even when we are victorious, not all the trails will be left. Exactly what happened in the video.

So lets leave it at this. Feel free to do your thing and I will do mine. This fool's goal is to make sure there are trails for my kids and theirs. If we go with the "ride it while you can" and do nothing to secure the future, there is no future for these trails.
    Leverage. You've got none. The only thing that you're ensuring is that there will be plenty of legal fire road riding available.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @Joe,

First thing I'd do, if I were your friend, is call you up and scream at you for posting that publicly on the internet.

Second thing I'd do is get a lawyer.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    For one, never ride with two ear buds in.
    It's actually illegal in the state of California have have two ear buds in simultaneously anywhere, anytime. Can't do it riding, running, driving, and so on.

The guy who got cited didn't stop because he couldn't hear them coming... sorry to say but that is his bad.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Is this thing on?
    @Joe,

First thing I'd do, if I were your friend, is call you up and scream at you for posting that publicly on the internet.

Second thing I'd do is get a lawyer.
    Looks like he posted it himself, just in the wrong forum. http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...go-875147.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    It's actually illegal in the state of California have have two ear buds in simultaneously anywhere, anytime. Can't do it riding, running, driving, and so on.

The guy who got cited didn't stop because he couldn't hear them coming... sorry to say but that is his bad.
    What if it had been a deaf guy that didn't stop because he didn't hear them coming?

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Isn't that what Tasers are for?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    What if it had been a deaf guy that didn't stop because he didn't hear them coming?
    If I was deaf, I wouldn't be doing an activity that requires hearing or eyes in the back of my head.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    If I was deaf, I wouldn't be doing an activity that requires hearing or eyes in the back of my head.
    You might, but it wouldn't be for long.....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I WROTE A LETTER !!!

Chris Zirkle, Deputy Director
    Open Space Division
    Park and Recreation Department
    202 "C" Street, 5th Floor (MS 5D)
    San Diego, CA 92101

Dear Mr. Zirkle:

Please make every effort to allow residents of Carmel Valley to continue to use the Del Mar Mesa preserve for recreational activities, such as hiking, biking, and horse back riding on well-maintained trails.

It is beneficial for residents to have access to the preserve:
    * residents enjoy the beauty of the canyon
    * health of residents is improved by hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding
    * commuting by bicycle reduces traffic on already congested roads
    * reduction in illegal camping and migrants in the canyons
    * less marijuana farming, and other illicit activities in the canyon

Lately (July 2013), Department of Fish and Game is preventing residents from using much of the trail system in Del Mar Mesa Preserve. Why are we being denied access to land that already has an approved trail system?

I was surprised to find armed state Department of Fish and Game wardens patrolling the area and citing hikers and bikers. I realize that there are fenced off areas of the preserve, but the officers were citing anyone who was not on the main fire road that travels north / south through the preserve.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    ^^^Thank you. Now if only the other 900 people who read this do the same. Thank you for your effort. May not seem like much but it is a big deal. There is a full court press on between here and Mission Trails right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

OK....I only just now watched the video Recitio posted a link to, and it really does have a lot of parallels to our situation in DMM and MTRP. An organized, concerted effort, maybe with some outside help from IMBA, seems like the way to salvage at least some of these trails. I know Tunnel 4 is proposed in the plan, and personally I don't see why the rim trail to the west can't be regarded as sustainable, along with the switchback trail down that people have different names for.

I don't ride nearly as much out at MTRP as some of you do, but probably something along that order could be worked out as well.

Regardless of whether you think the actions recently are the result of a far-left wing or far-rightwing conspiracy, some reality-based thinking is in order here if anything but further suppression is going to occur.

Unless, of course, the City, and the State go bankrupt and can no longer pay for rangers and officers to patrol out there for just the sake of asserting their authority. But I don't think any of us really wants to see that...the other effects would be rather....extreme, I think. And I for one have had enough of extreme for one lifetime already.

It's time for me to sit down and bust out a few letters to Whom it May Concern....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey guys, first post here. Stumbled upon this thread looking for info on the Tunnels via google. I was up in the area exploring yesterday, didnt see any rangers, or anyone for that fact and undoubtably passed that game camera on the way out.

The biggest thing I noticed about exploring out there, was that the only areas that were trashed, disturbed or dumped on; were the access roads. The main fire road has huge ruts that only a truck would cause, the crater of a berm track by the Eucalyptus patch that looks like quads do in the desert, and all the dumped trash is next to the freeway and houses, in several areas.

Thanks to those who posted up the links and addresses to the political contacts, I wil be sending a few emails and letters out as well.

I'm your density
    ^^^Thank you.

Don't take too many chances out there, it sounds like they're getting good at ambushing people.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, I knew of the closures, but not of the intensity recently, not worth it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Within 15 minutes of being up there on Tues. AM, a ranger truck showed up. Even though I stayed on the road, I think I tripped a remote movement sensor. The ranger kept his window rolled up and did not make eye contact, which these days is just fine with me.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Within 15 minutes of being up there on Tues. AM, a ranger truck showed up. Even though I stayed on the road, I think I tripped a remote movement sensor. The ranger kept his window rolled up and did not make eye contact, which these days is just fine with me.
    what kind of police state is this... my goodness.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Email response from Chris:
    Mike, thanks for your interest in Del Mar Mesa trails planning. The area currently has no approved trails. The Open Space division is working on legitimizing access to some of the trails in Del Mar Mesa. We’ve held 19 public meetings on the trails plan with the next one scheduled for the City’s Planning Commission. Here’s a link to the last public meeting:
    http://www.sandiego.gov/parkandrecbo...gementplan.pdf
    As you can see from the report, not only does the City not own all of the land in the planning area, approval is ultimately subject to the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the California Dept of Fish and Wildlife because the area is in the City’s wildlife preserve. They have written us a letter (attached) which pertains specifically to Mission Trails Regional Park but this sentence pertains to Del Mar Mesa as well:
    The unauthorized construction and use of trails should be immediately addressed and effectively controlled prior to moving forward with plans to redesign or construct new trails in MTRP.

Thanks, Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    what kind of police state is this... my goodness.
    Unfortunately the kind that most people in this state voted for.They got what they deserved.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast