Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Maybe something has changed in upper management thinking at State fish and game. They recently ticketed a bunch of hikers for trespassing into a closed area near Santa Cruz.
    Bingo! Since Dan Richards lost his job as head of the former DFG now renamed Dept of Fish & Wildlife (I **** you not, Game Wardens have been re-named to "Wildlife Officers" Careers - California Department of Fish and Wildlife). You may notice not all occurrences of DFG have been scrubbed to DFW. DFW will now be less focused on traditional "game management" activities such as enforcing poaching and other game laws, and more into the touchy feely enforcement, witness the new mission statement

"The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (formerly "Department of Fish and Game") maintains native fish, wildlife, plant species and natural communities for their intrinsic and ecological value and their benefits to people. This includes habitat protection and maintenance in a sufficient amount and quality to ensure the survival of all species and natural communities. The department is also responsible for the diversified use of fish and wildlife including recreational, commercial, scientific and educational uses."

Going forward you're likely to see them more active in boundary enforcement of MLPAs and phony ecological preserves such as DMM(and all the other Agenda 21 goals) than actual wildlife management.

mtbr member
    On Sunday morning I gave that camera a
    Ok........ maybe it wasn't a thumb
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was riding on the Mesa last week and I saw a ranger's truck along with his fresh truck tracks.

Funny thing - His tire tracks went right THROUGH! the vernal pools!!!

Literally right through the middle of the pool! Aren't they there to protect the precious shrimp?

Maybe they would have more sympathy for us if they actually had to ride their bike onto the mesa, rather than drive a big truck

Doug in San Diego

P.S. On a side note, I also saw bike tracks through the middle of the pools.

We are really not helping our cause if we keep doing dumb moves like that.
    (I suspect one of the weekend warriors ,clad in armor, was just too tired to ride his 50lb bike around the pool)

mtbr member
    It always bugs me to see how the quad tracks are smashing the plants when I work so hard to ride around them....
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinerts View Post
    It always bugs me to see how the quad tracks are smashing the plants when I work so hard to ride around them....
    You can rest assured that when its Wildlife Officers who are smashing those plants with their quads, that they are doing it for a very good, and official, reason.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    That vernal pool was probably one on the very precious SDG&E fire road and they "built" it by their heavy A$$ truck plowing through the muddy roads as we're told to stay off at that time.
    "Do as I say, not as I do.... or you'll get a ticket"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqdad View Post
    I was riding on the Mesa last week and I saw a ranger's truck along with his fresh truck tracks.

Funny thing - His tire tracks went right THROUGH! the vernal pools!!!

Literally right through the middle of the pool! Aren't they there to protect the precious shrimp?

Maybe they would have more sympathy for us if they actually had to ride their bike onto the mesa, rather than drive a big truck

Doug in San Diego
    take a photo of this and go to the next city meeting regarding trail issues and present it as evidence against the city ....need to ask them how is it that the people protecting these trails are able to get away with doing this and where is the conservation when rangers who have been put in place to protect these land sections are doing worse damage ....be interesting to see the response - hell take a gopro and get video of who is doing it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daygoVR6 View Post
    take a photo of this and go to the next city meeting regarding trail issues and present it as evidence against the city ....need to ask them how is it that the people protecting these trails are able to get away with doing this and where is the conservation when rangers who have been put in place to protect these land sections are doing worse damage ....be interesting to see the response - hell take a gopro and get video of who is doing it
    I believe that the fire road is owned by SDG&E and they plow their trucks right through the mud holes if they are "vernal pool" or not. Same with the rangers. Rules don't apply
    Oh, and those houses up on the mesa never had vernal pools, endangered plants, or animals....... Right....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well this just sucks, I haven't been through there in a few months as I have been riding different parts of town...but just the other night I cut through the non fenced in area and nothing seemed out of the norm ...but I wasn't necessarily looking either

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Two green CDFG trucks hanging out by the eucalyptus grove as of 10am this morning. Tax payer funded circle-jerk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Keep in mind this is a city controlled by unions and union interests. I have nothing against the idea of a union but these guys pretty much run the whole city of San Diego. Just ask Bob "Lick my Cheecks" Filner (before he leaves town for good). The housing developments, the strip malls, more roads and highways... And then they complain about mountain bikers. I guess there is no union contract with a mountain biker. It's totally stupid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Keep in mind this is a city controlled by unions and union interests. I have nothing against the idea of a union but these guys pretty much run the whole city of San Diego. Just ask Bob "Lick my Cheecks" Filner (before he leaves town for good). The housing developments, the strip malls, more roads and highways... And then they complain about mountain bikers. I guess there is no union contract with a mountain biker. It's totally stupid.
    This has nothing to do with unions, and everything to do with the privileges of the Privileged. You see, they simply do not want to look out of their 30'X15' picture windows, and gaze upon dirty, mountain bike-riding, servants having fun and staying fit. And as far as I know, there ain't no Peons' Union!

IMO, SoCal Jack's post of 2 weeks' ago has basically nailed down what most of the change is due to. That and the disappearance, with full Council approval, and to Pardee's benefit (along with the former landowners who happily sold their land for a tidy fortune) of all the rest of the DM Mesa open space, save for the tiny bit at the west end overlooking I5.

That one of those former landowners happens to be one of the most vocal 'environmentalists' calling for the closure of DMM is perhaps ironic, but for me, a longtime Diego native, it's nothin' new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There are lots of people who live on the Mesa and in Torrey Hills that ride and trail-run. Many are unaware of the issues out here. The only downside about increasing awareness locally about this travesty is if/when they do open that area up, there is going to be a whole lot more traffic.

I'm pissed off enough based on things that happened this morning that I've decided I'm done sitting on my hands.

I'm sure those moving into the Alta Del Mar neigborhood (intenstines) would be upset to hear that the city has closed much of the trails that Pardee is selling as one of the many advanatages of owning a home here. I intend on going door to door, welcoming them to the neighborhood and informing them of the city's woeful mismanangement of the area (including delaying the master trails plan).

I've also put a call into Lightners office. I'd like to be able to tell folks that she's part of the solution. We'll see what her rep has to say about that. I'm taking my show on the road to Tri Club San Diego, SDBC, Swamis and any one else who will listen.

mtbr member
    Sucks !
    You do the crime you pay the dime though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntro View Post
    There are lots of people who live on the Mesa and in Torrey Hills that ride and trail-run. Many are unaware of the issues out here. The only downside about increasing awareness locally about this travesty is if/when they do open that area up, there is going to be a whole lot more traffic.

I'm pissed off enough based on things that happened this morning that I've decided I'm done sitting on my hands.

I'm sure those moving into the Alta Del Mar neigborhood (intenstines) would be upset to hear that the city has closed much of the trails that Pardee is selling as one of the many advanatages of owning a home here. I intend on going door to door, welcoming them to the neighborhood and informing them of the city's woeful mismanangement of the area (including delaying the master trails plan).

I've also put a call into Lightners office. I'd like to be able to tell folks that she's part of the solution. We'll see what her rep has to say about that. I'm taking my show on the road to Tri Club San Diego, SDBC, Swamis and any one else who will listen.
    Right on, bro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmffitz View Post
    Sucks !
    You do the crime you pay the dime though!
    The problem here is, the REAL crime has the law on its' side!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntro View Post
    I've also put a call into Lightners office. I'd like to be able to tell folks that she's part of the solution.
    To my knowledge she is a big part of the problem. She is best buddy with some of the entitled equestrians in the DMM area and will vote along whatever lines they ask her to. In fact she was openly hostile toward MTBers after her office was flooded with faxes regarding the trails plan for DMM prior to some city or park and rec board meeting a couple years back.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    ^^^Evdog knows this first hand and this is the problem we are facing. Politicians are bought by the vote and the support ($$$$). We have the numbers. Hell, this post has seen over 3600 views since it was first posted up. Huntro has the right idea. It sounds like he is trying to get others involved. I realized that there are not 3600 users but there are far more watching this than the 30 or so that have posted.

Political pressure is one of the ways to help get this process moving along. So, here are your local contacts. Please reach out to them and increase the awareness. There are many people within their district that want legal access to what already exists and has been taken away.

Lorie Zapf
    Council Member, District 6 (Mira Mesa and S Penasquitos)

202 "C" Street, 10th Floor
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Phone: (619) 236-6616
    Fax: (619) 236-7329
    Email : loriezapf@sandiego.gov

Sherri Lightner
    Council Member District 1 (Rancho Penasquitos)

202 C Street, MS #10A
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Phone: (619) 236-6611
    Fax: (619) 236-6999
    Email sherrilightner@sandiego.gov

Don't be afraid that they may not represent our interests. If we do not let them know of our interests, then they will never represent us. Please do it in a respectful manner. We don't need to perpetuate the douche-bag myth. The trail users are individuals, parents, grandparents, and are a substantial portion of their community base. We need everybody to be involved. Show them where the money is. Long shot? Yep. But what do you have to lose?

The current message is clear:

You get NOTHING!
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post

The trail users are individuals, parents, grandparents, TAX PAYERS and are a substantial portion of their community base. We need everybody to be involved. Show them where the money is. Long shot? Yep. But what do you have to lose?

The current message is clear:

You get NOTHING!
    Fixed it for you

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Fixed it for you
    You forgot "Voters"!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What's the latest on this? Just finished with ironman season, happy to get back on the dirt and my commute to work was littered with branches, new fences, more durable signs, cameras. Based on the trail conditions traffic does not seem to be drastically different. Haven't seen any patrollers. We need like twitter or Facebook page warning when the patrollers are out there.

mtbr member
    Pretty quiet up here the last two mornings during my citizen safety patrol.
    The storm fronts have blown most of the signs away too. Must be global warming?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Pretty quiet up here the last two mornings during my citizen safety patrol.
    The storm fronts have blown most of the signs away too. Must be global warming?
    Most likely. It will mean hell for those fairy shrimp eggs on the "Main Trail".

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The local mountain biking community is getting exactly what it deserves.

All you people want to do is go to meetings, sign petitions, write letters. The fascists (I don't use that term lightly) whom you are fighting against don't care about any of that. The only thing which a brute respects is power. By playing their game, you have all shown that you lack it.

You can have as many trails as you want, and you get as many as you deserve.

Pathetic.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Please feel free to join a militia and take up arms against the man. After you get out of jail, assuning you are still alive, please let us know how that worked for you. It is easy to talk big on the net with nothing to back it up. While you may not approve of my message, I am actually talking the talk AND walking the walk. You?

This really wasnt worth the effort to type it.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast