Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Thanks Mike. I forgot to include all the pertinent information.

You best option to make a difference between calls, emails, and letters...

1) Write a letter - It has to be logged by the city and becomes record

2) Call - You will most likely leave a message on the voice mail and it is easily missed

3) Email - Ask yourself this. How effective are all the adds(spam) you get in your personal or work email? Why would it be any different at the city?

Write a letter

WRITE a LETTER

WRITE A LETTER

Take the five minutes you have spent reading through all of this and pen a simple letter stating why you have a problem with it. Explain how it is beneficial to have access. Ask why we are being denied access to lands that already have an approved trail system (by Parks and Rec, no less).

Please, WRITE A LETTER!!!!

There are a lot of people on this board who have a vested interest in the land. Take the time and prove it to Chris Zirkle.

P.S. Share this with anybody not on the boards. There are a whole set of folks impacted by the recent rash of tickets that know nothing of this site.
    Should we write a letter

I do have to say that Chris did return all my emails. Please be direct but respectful when writing
    San Diego needs singletrack

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I hope the DFG has the resources to deal with the criminal element that will move back in to that area after bikers are scared off. Luckily we have gained some cool trails in San Marcos. The DMM issue has been a thorn in my side for years. Basically you will see them ramp up enforcement for the rest of the summer and things will die down. If you want to know who is complaining you can find them in the huge houses up on the mesa.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I went up there today and didn't see anything but one runner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems like every time some group decides to flex their muscle and shut down trails, people (and not just bikers) respond by building more hidden trails. Then six months later when they inevitably shift their priorities or run out of resources to patrol the trails we get them back, and we have all of the new trails too. I've seen this pattern at a few different local trail systems. If you can stay away while things are controversial, or ride in small groups at off peak times, you might just get rewarded when the heat is off...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Seems like every time some group decides to flex their muscle and shut down trails, people (and not just bikers) respond by building more hidden trails. Then six months later when they inevitably shift their priorities or run out of resources to patrol the trails we get them back, and we have all of the new trails too. I've seen this pattern at a few different local trail systems. If you can stay away while things are controversial, or ride in small groups at off peak times, you might just get rewarded when the heat is off...
    Sorry, but illegal trail building in this area will only make things worse. Any trail building, damage etc. by other groups will be blamed on bikers as a matter of convenience. The branch cutting in the tunnels was blamed on bikers when it was clearly done by equestrians so they could get down the trail without having to dismount.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^^^ True

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm just pointing out that more illegal trails are a typical result of this kind of enforcement.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying to get out and start building but how do you think all the trails came to be? Someone did it and it wasn't the rangers.....
    Migrants, hikers, game, and bikers probably did it at some point in time I would think. You can rest assured that the equestrians didn't lift finger

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I'm not saying to get out and start building but how do you think all the trails came to be? Someone did it and it wasn't the rangers.....
    Migrants, hikers, game, and bikers probably did it at some point in time I would think. You can rest assured that the equestrians didn't lift finger
    Very true, the majority of the trails on DMM were created by migrant workers, dirt bike riders, kids and sdg&e trucks. Nobody really cared until Pardee homes obliterated all the single track known as the intestines. When that happened more people started riding the other side and the complaints started.

mtbr member
    One would think that they would open up the trails, let the user groups repair & maintain them, and then the tax payers that own the trails and pay their salaries could use what they have paid for already. But we're talking about government agencies here....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    DMM Trails/Tunnels Update 8/5/13.
    Dept of Fish and Game still hiding in the eucalyptus patch. They were there at 5:45 PM last evening (Sunday 8/4/13). I was shocked to see them there at that hour. There is also a ground level surveillance camera set up at the fence where the No Trespassing sign is! link here...
    Keeping an eye on you - YouTube
    I would like to know... whose doing all the watching??
    And what on earth are they watching for???

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkafella View Post
    Dept of Fish and Game still hiding in the eucalyptus patch. They were there at 5:45 PM last evening (Sunday 8/4/13). I was shocked to see them there at that hour. There is also a ground level surveillance camera set up at the fence where the No Trespassing sign is! link here...
    Well, before they claimed the cameras were placed there by a college student doing a study of some sort but those cams were in a different area. I think it is clear that they want to see who is crossing the barrier. Obviously they are collecting data for some reason and it ain't about wildlife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Game Wardens are still hiding in the bushes on Del Mar Mesa as of Sunday 8/4/13 at 5:45 PM. Yup, sitting in their little game warden truck, scheming their little game warden schemes at quarter to six in the evening! Wow! They even have what appears to be a motion detecting surveillance camera at the base of the fence where the No Trespassing sign is. The camera appears to be a significant piece of technology and I can't help but wonder who is doing all the watching? What the hell could be so important out there that there are people willing to install cameras under bushes in the middle of nowhere, and post (very serious) men with guns and tasers as guards.
    Am I the only one who finds this absurd, and a serious misallocation of valuable resources? Who has the ear of a congressman that likes to mountain bike? WE NEED HELP!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Maybe its away of showing how effective their "deterrent program is"? Bike traffic before, bike traffic after.

If they only protected the boarder so securely....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Well, before they claimed the cameras were placed there by a college student doing a study of some sort but those cams were in a different area. I think it is clear that they want to see who is crossing the barrier. Obviously they are collecting data for some reason and it ain't about wildlife.

We were told from the ranger at the meeting that it was a study to monitor traffic via hoof, boot, or tire. Ok...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The budget for this kind of seemingly frivolous enforcement is not a bottomless one, and there is no way that the citations issued could even come close to paying for the salaries of 2 armed officers and two trucks, so sooner or later something's gotta give. Maybe the one good thing about our dysfunctional Congress's "sequestration" strategy is that cutbacks to work hours for F&G, Park Rangers, etc. are inevitable.
    While it's going to create a tremendous number of problems, it might work in favor of a more reasonable, less bureaucratic, policy towards DMM, by default.

I doubt those guys are gonna work for free....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I enjoy other stuff as well as riding my mtn bike like fishing and i will say that dfg(now dfw)is no friend to anyone but enviros and humane society.

Each year i spend more and more for a fishing license and get less in return with less areas to legally fish.Oh an catch a lobster while diving and its a legal size by a couple hairs they will try to force their measuring gauge real hard so they can try and cite you for an undersize.Was tried on me but the idiot broke the very tip of shell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

Anyone know if they're up there around dawn?

Oh, and last weekend I saw a helicopter up there flying quite low and flying back and forth multiple times across the Mesa. I could be just paranoid, but it sure seemed like they were looking for people.

Beer Please!
    That is amazing, what a waste of money. a semi-hidden camera? for reals? Gimme a break, isn't there real crime to be fought in the world?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    That is amazing, what a waste of money. a semi-hidden camera? for reals? Gimme a break, isn't there real crime to be fought in the world?

It amazing to think they are wasting so much money and manpower on this but they have a agenda.

mtbr member
    There is also a camera just like that one at the bottom of T4.
    Don't forget to unswerve!

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Best post I've seen here in a while, hilarious "They're gonna catch somebody"

Reminded me of hearing such comments from a family elder, who (RIP) would be disgusted at what this country's government has come to.

what is better was that previously the justification was "oh they are game cameras"
    Yes, game cameras and I'm Borat.... and Borat might just get caught on camera.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post

Oh, and last weekend I saw a helicopter up there flying quite low and flying back and forth multiple times across the Mesa. I could be just paranoid, but it sure seemed like they were looking for people.
    That would be a tremendously effective use of our tax dollars!

BTW....Holy Crap! I just clicked on the youtube link. That was a seriously funny take on a seriously fubared situation.

Actually, the area in question has become classified as a Top Secret Zone. You could think of it as Area 52. What you discovered is only the tip of the high security iceberg. If anybody here ever finds out about those Alien Artifacts that were discovered down there by the archeologists, the cat will be out of the bag.
    Last edited by Old Ray; 08-06-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Pretty funny, no Blue Angels or flight displays at the air show. Roads full of pot holes. Fire department cuts. Mayor "feelin her" sueing to have taxpayers pay legal fees, SDG&E wants taxpayers to pay to decom San Onofre but we have money to shake down a few bikers.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Pretty funny, no Blue Angels or flight displays at the air show. Roads full of pot holes. Fire department cuts. Mayor "feelin her" sueing to have taxpayers pay legal fees, SDG&E wants taxpayers to pay to decom San Onofre but we have money to shake down a few bikers.
    Perspective is a magical thing.....
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast