mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Upset Ticketing in Tunnels in San Diego

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2] Got chased over 1/2 mile or more by the park rangers outside the tunnel in San Diego, PQ/Mesa area. Got tickets for both trespassing and willingly obstructing his duty, when in reality I had no idea they were chasing me.. did not see them properly and got anxious cause I was on my own- may be a bit scared. Has anyone ever seen a truck up there? I had not seen before
    Just wondering if anyone had such s experience and what are the charges. Is it worth fighting it in court.

[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    You'll want to post this up in the Socal forum and maybe on dirttreaders.com. They've been ticketing there for a while now, so I'm sure you can find some answers. Good luck!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    His first post and he looks for sympathy in Norcal.

There....there. Everything will be fine(d).

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Save Jesus
    Running from the cops - good way to get a beat-down.

Edit: Oh, I see it was the San Diego Park Rangers. In that case, get your affairs in order.
    Last edited by beanbag; 09-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Is this thing on?
    I'm not going to judge you for your actions but you should get an attorney ASAP. If either or both of the charges are misdemeanors it is going to be VERY expensive. Also, there are long term issues with having things like that on your record. Attorneys are expensive but in the long run will make things cheaper and life easier. At least talk to one to see if they can help you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the sympathy mate... clearly you are very good at that and hats off to you. May be the question is; is it worth sending two trcuks down the fire road to catch a MTB for what crime??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A volunteer docent on an Irvine Conservancy ride was telling me about his "bust" for trespassing. Security caught 6 of them riding in a closed area (private property owned by the Conservancy). After being informed they were trespassing, they apologized and voluntarily left immediately. An OC Sheriff was waiting at the trailhead and ticketed them. The 6 of them split attorney costs and the charges were dismissed. In their case, 1) Property has to be properly posted..it was. 2) Property owner or employee has to specifically order them to leave...he did not. 3) Trespassers have to refuse the request to leave...they voluntarily left.

It cost them $300 apiece but was worth keeping their record cleared. Not sure if the same law applies to public property....also if the SD Park Ranger is a sworn officer, the law is probably different. Does your employer have legal assistance benefits? Or contact Legal Aid in your area. You can get a few minutes of expert legal advice for free or $50 at most. Then you will know where you stand, the implications, and what to do about it.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by MoUpHil View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy mate... clearly you are very good at that and hats off to you. May be the question is; is it worth sending two trcuks down the fire road to catch a MTB for what crime??
    Is it worth it or a good use of Tax Payers money? No, Absolutely not.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

THanks mate .. I am convinced that I am innocent and judge will not give me anything

Thanks for the advise... I will seek more from others

Quote Originally Posted by kenish View Post
    A volunteer docent on an Irvine Conservancy ride was telling me about his "bust" for trespassing. Security caught 6 of them riding in a closed area (private property owned by the Conservancy). After being informed they were trespassing, they apologized and voluntarily left immediately. An OC Sheriff was waiting at the trailhead and ticketed them. The 6 of them split attorney costs and the charges were dismissed. In their case, 1) Property has to be properly posted..it was. 2) Property owner or employee has to specifically order them to leave...he did not. 3) Trespassers have to refuse the request to leave...they voluntarily left.

It cost them $300 apiece but was worth keeping their record cleared. Not sure if the same law applies to public property....also if the SD Park Ranger is a sworn officer, the law is probably different. Does your employer have legal assistance benefits? Or contact Legal Aid in your area. You can get a few minutes of expert legal advice for free or $50 at most. Then you will know where you stand, the implications, and what to do about it.