mtbr member

Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C.

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

Apr 2, 2007 7:12 pm US/Pacific

[SIZE="4"]Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C[/SIZE]

(CBS) SANTA ANA, Calif. A tick collected in an Aliso Viejo park tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which was last confirmed as a human case in Orange County 15 years ago, an official said Monday.

The Pacific Coast Tick was collected in Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park on Jan. 29 as part of an ongoing surveillance program and submitted to the California Department of Health Services, Michael Hearst of Orange County Vector Control said.

The testing was performed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and results reported to the district on Friday, Hearst said.

The finding will probably lead to increased testing, which is done by dragging a flannel cloth funnel across grasses, picking up ticks that attach themselves, Hearst said.

While Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is rare, it can be fatal in three percent to seven percent of the cases. It is diagnosed mainly based on symptoms, which include fever, headache, muscle aches and nausea. The diagnostic symptom is a rash that can cover much of the body, including the palms and soles of the feet, Hearst said.

However, the rash may not appear in about 10 percent of the cases, which can leave the disease undetected, he said.

The tick carrying the bacteria is one of two common species in Orange County. The other is the American Dog Tick, he said.

There is no effective way to control ticks, but people can wear a repellent. Permethrin based products are more effective against ticks than DEET, which is usually recommended for protection against mosquitoes.

Light-colored clothing will make ticks more visible, and careful inspection every two or three hours while outdoors is called for in any tick-infested area. A thorough check at the end of the activity will go a long way towards reducing the likelihood of being bitten by an infected tick and contracting the disease, Hearst said.

The disease is characterized by sudden onset of moderate to high fever, which persists for two or three weeks in untreated cases. Other symptoms are malaise, deep muscle pain, severe headaches, chills and conjunctival infection, he said.

( 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report. )

mtbr member
    I saw the news van in the parking lot yesterday around 3PM but got there too late to be on TV. At first I thought maybe there was a mountain lion attack or somebody went missing since there was a copter buzzing around as well.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Freaky, I've totally gotten ticks at Aliso too. Gross. I'm going to take another shower.

Something's tingling
    Ewww, I got a tick years back while hiking Aliso. Felt like a bad itch before I discovered it. That little bugger was a b*tch to remove. I was more concerned about touching poison oak and Lyme disease at the time, now this. Time again for the post-ride tick check.
    "Make me proud, son. Or at least less ashamed." -- Abe Simpson

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Just what I wanna hear as I plan a road trip to MTB in OC later this month...
    Can you hear me now?

pewpewpew Moderator
    eiw. i knocked 3 ticks off me today. hate those buggers.
    Love, Impy

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nanhar
    http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

Apr 2, 2007 7:12 pm US/Pacific

[SIZE="4"]Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C[/SIZE]

(CBS) SANTA ANA, Calif. A tick collected in an Aliso Viejo park tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
    That's Horrible News! Here's to a speedy recovery, Tick!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I am a transplant from the midwest where ticks are the norm with every spring/summer ride. Try spraying bug spray on your shoes and socks before a ride. Most attach themselves to your feet and work their way up. I also like to carry some isopropyl alcohol in my car and wipe down the areas where they bit after the ride.

Where are You ?
    Mar 2007
    rode their yesterday and plenty of people still out. Seems like Hikers would be more at risk as I tend to stay ON the trails for the most part. Some of the trails can be a bit tight with the vegatation encroaching up high, like on Rockit, before the rocks....

Anyhow, I'm not too worried and ride there all the time.

L8ters....

Whoops, as I said that, I felt something crawling on my leg

mtbr member
    I was there yesterday too and actually saw some kids playing down in the creek area near the bottom of Lynx. I hope they checked themselves afterwards.