mtbr member

Thoughts on Claremont, Harvey Mudd

Hello all,
    I might be going to Harvey Mudd in the fall, and would love to hear what you locals have to say about the college, the town, the riding in the area, and anything else that seems relevant. I'm planning to study mechanical engineering. How's the riding nearby? Do you like Claremont? Anyone go to HMC? Anything else?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Great school, great town and the riding is really good, both on road and off. The only bad thing I would have to say about the area, it gets hot and smoggy in the summer

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I grew up in Claremont, it is a pretty laid back place. Not much to do in town. Riding is really good. It does get smoggy and hot.

mtbr member
    Thanks! What sort of riding is there in the area? XC? DH? AM? Mix?

Dirt Hippie
    I live next to Claremont and really you can find it all. About 20 miles out is Southridge where they hold the races we go once a week to play at 4X and DH but they also have the XC course. Locally Bonelli and CWP (Claremont Wilderness Park) offer XC (some st) and Marshall Canyon in La Verne is scenic with some fun singletrack. Also have a "secret" local area you can shuttle if you're into ladder and dirt jumps. I grew up here it's a great place to live close to Baldy ski area/mountains or a short drive (1 hour maybe) to the beach. The San Gabriels close by offer numerous scenic trails through the mountains to choose from some technical with exposure others easy but all fun. Hit us up when you get here we'll show you around the local riding spots.
    (We're soon to start Big Wheel races on the dirt if you can believe that...good stuff for sure!!)
    Last edited by *Sharky*; 04-07-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    INCYCLE

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. I visited last week, and had a good time.

How accessable is the riding for someone without a car? Is there public transportation that gets close to the trails? Anything within riding distance of campus? Friendly locals who I can bum rides from?

Again, I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    From the colleges, you can ride to many places without a car. You can ride to the top of Mills to get to the Wilderness Park, from here you have quite a few options. I guess it depends on how in shape you are and the kind of riding you do.