mtbr member

Thomas Mt. to hemet and Idylwild

I thought i would post some trail conditions since i am bored and some people are complaining that there is nothing going on in the area. Well A buddy and I rode Up Thomas via the south ridgde down Rouse ridge rd and then up the control road to Idyllwild. I was riding on a cross set up and he was riding his new siren john henry. Which made for an interesting riding dynamic.
    The Ride up thomas was pretty mush like usual, nothing to steep the roads in good condition until you reach the tool box springs campground. after that sections of the road start to become very muddy/icy.snowy in patches. Not so bad that I could not ride through it on my 32c tires but it made me put more effort in to it then i would have liked.

Once on our way down thomas and taking the first left on to rouse ridge the trail started to become more sandy, with section that had allot of loose rock or deep ruts from the storms that we had got earlier in the winter. For people who are riding mt bikes with tires that are bigger then an inch and 1/2, this would not effect you. For me though since I am sporting open pro and 32c tires it made the down hills slower and kept me on high alert. I remember that about half of the ride down rouse ridge was like the conditions that i just described and the other was nice had pack dirt where you could really get some speed.

It took us about 3 hours to get down to the FS station and once where there we refilled water and headed out to the old control rd. The ride up was pretty much just what i was expecting from what i had heard-- Up hill the whole way. My mantra to keep me pedaling was PIZZA, Beer. during the tuff sections the condition of road seemed alright, a good amount of sand during some of the steep sections. but besides that the road was fine in good shape. Lastly i will have to mention that on the control road there where several times where i thought that i was going to be ran over by truck hurling down the road with no consideration for any thing but them self.

From the control road we went into town where we had a much awaited pizza and pitcher. If wee had more time Our plan was to ride into may valley and back to mountain center, but we decided against that.we hit dirt at 11 and arrived into Idyllwild a little past dark. Overall it was a good ride about 45 miles in length with the majority of it being up hill. Sorry there are no photos, I know that i like seeing them.

PS Think about doing a beer and ride or something up in this area, Any Ideas?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Cool!

I think a crossbike would be a good choice for many of the fireroads in that area, but I sure wouldn't want to take it down the Ramona Trail!
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Good job, I was thinking of dropping into Hurkey after the Thomas decent, heading into May valley up the fireroad left into South ridge and and down to Alvin Meadows catching up with Hell trail into Hemet..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

San Jacinto Endurance Ride

It was posted here in 2009. 85 miles or so

Lead-out from near Hurkey Creek to 6S13.
    Climb 6S13 then up and over Rouse Hill Road to Cranston.
    Climb up Hwy 74 to 5S06.
    Tollgate Road to Saunders Meadow
    Sunset Trail May Valley Road Log Pile Trail
    Lower South Ridge May Valley Bonita Vista Trail
    Roman Hwy May Valley Missing Link-Rage Through the Sage -Tunnel of Love to complete loop one.
    Back to power line road at start of 6S13 to faint single track in line with Fobes Ranch Road. Climb Fobes Ranch Road a couple of miles to gate, then side hill to hike-a-bike to power line road.
    Left on trail to Morris Ranch Road to Hwy 74, then left.
    Right on 6S13 (other end of 6S13), and climb Thomas Mountain to Ramona Trail. Bomb down Ramona trail, then left on power line trail back to beginning of 6S13.
    Then return back to start near Hurkey Creek to finish loop two.