mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thinking of taking a trip to ride in Cali next yr.

Howdy all. As you can see from the headline there, I'm kinda toying w/ the idea of taking a trip. Someplace different. I've heard about the riding in Cali there. Been to Cali before in the early 90's, but I wasn't into riding back then. I'd like to go for a change of scenery.

So a couple questions:

1) Would North Cali or South Cali be a better place to go?

2) I'm thinking Spring or fall time to head out there. Any particular time that would be better?

3) Where would be the best riding for the area. Yea, I know. Pretty broad question there. Sorry.

a)I own a Titus Switchblade and a GF Sugar 4+. Which wold be better given the terrain for said park?

Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    fall....check out downeyville
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    although I hate to admit it, SMT is right on this one. Downieville is a can't miss spot. I'd stay in Tahoe and make a 1 day trip to Downieville with the remainder of the trip hitting up the other can't miss trails in the Tahoe area like: The Flume Trail, Mr. Toads, Hole in the Ground, Powerline, Christmas Valley etc...
    There are 3-4 of that hit it up every year. Can't go wrong - ask the nor cal folks for confirmation.
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

Equal opportunity meanie
    Fontana......Mid August

pewpewpew Moderator
    Gotta agree with Tahoe/downieville. Give enough of a heads up and I'll meet you there with some friends In the sierras june-sept is the best.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If your main purpose in coming to Cali is to ride then I'd have to agree - Northern Cal will give you the best experience. If you're locked into a Fall/Spring time then you may be better off coming to SoCal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks all for the advice! It's looking like Downieville is the place to be. According to the maps it's maybe just over an hours drive from Reno. Does that sound right? Also, are there any hotel/motels near by or would it be better to camp? Travelvelocity was listing the nearest one like 40 to 60 miles away.

I was also checking flights and for some reason it's cheaper to fly to San Fran. than to Reno. Like over $100 cheaper, but I'm guessing car rentals would eat that up. Plus from what I can tell it's like over a 200 mile drive from there.

Again, I thank you for the advice. If I decide to do this later next yr, I'll be sure to post it here. Anyone that would like to show me around would be more than welcome.

I was think somewhere around the July / August timeframe. What's the area like in Oct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    July / August is probably perfect for Downieville, but watch out for the Classic. It's a big race they have up there, so would probably close off some of the trails for recreational riding and shuttling.

Most of the area is just smaller cabins for rent. Camping up there is great. Hubby and I went for the MTBR Gathering this past June. It was really cold the first night, but daytime temps were perfect, especially in town. We stayed up by Packer Lake, and it got downright cold at times, though. Gorgeous campground, but no real facilities. Did have outhouses and a water pump, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Reno to Downieville will take you probably 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I've done this drive lots of time, albeit we leave from Tahoe rather than Reno. There are a couple of different ways to go, but count on some slow driving on mountain roads. It's a long drive, no matter where you fly into. Worth it? Oh yeah!

If you haven't, you shoulld probably post on the Norcal board, those folks spend much more time up there.