mtbr member

Think It's Tough Being a Mountain Biker in San Diego?

Sometimes it seems like trail access is under siege like never before. But at least we don't have to contend with woodsmen intent on re-enacting a scene from the movie deliverance Beware the banjos!

Mountain Biker Attacked, Shot At on Stevens Creek

web posted July 27, 2014 - 6:20 pm
    MCCORMICK A mountain biker riding on the FATS trails in the Merriwether area on Saturday decided to end his ride by going down to Stevens Creek. On the trip back to his car three men in "full camouflage" reportedly stretched a rope across the trail causing the rider to be thrown from his bike around 9 pm. The three men then attacked the downed rider and attempted a sexual assault before the man was able to fight them off and run from the scene. At least one of the men is said to have then fired a shot at the victim as he ran away.

The news broke when the victim's wife posted the account on the SORBA-CSRA website Sunday afternoon around 1:30 warning other riders of the Forks Area Trail System (FATS) that is mainly in Edgefield County, but has trails and a parking area in McCormick County as well as the Stephens Creek Trail in Modoc where the attack took place. According to the Moderator of the forum, the incident was confirmed and is being investigated by the McCormick County Sheriff's Office and the US Forestry Service.

The attackers were said to be white and possibly in their 30's, standing around 5' 8" tall, though one was reported being a little shorter.

She reported, "He [her husband] lost consciousness for a little bit and when he opened his eyes one of the guys was slamming his head into the dirt, which eventually ripped off his helmet. The assailant on top of him then attempted a sexual assault, while telling him that those woods were for hunters only, and that he was going to learn tonight."

The woman was thankful her husband was able to escape relatively unharmed. "Thankfully he was able to escape with only minor scrapes and bruises and they had left all of his possessions (bike, helmet, etc..) in the woods, which he retrieved this morning [Sunday] with the police."

She said her husband, who is 6' 3" tall and weighs 200 pounds, is an avid rider of the trails, but "says he will never go back out there again".

Edgefield Daily was unable to obtain a copy of an incident report due to the Sheriff's administration office being closed for the weekend. We have also tried to reach out to the victim for more information. We have confirmed the incident as Edgefield County Sheriff's Deputies were also called to the scene, but were turned back while enroute stating the incident was in McCormick County.

Updates on this report will be published as more information becomes available.

Beer Please!
    that is scary, another reason to not ride alone I guess.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

most memberable
    May 2011
    I ride alone all the time in N and S Cali and Nevada....I don't think there are any deliverance types (DTs) where I ride, though. I'm 6'3" and 235 and can handle myself...so I will not be squealing like any barnyard animal!!!

In SD County these DTs are relegated to Santee and Lakeside areas and they are too busy making and using Meth to take the time out of their 'busy' schedules to go up into the local mountains to get some MOM action! NTTAWWT

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I seriously doubt the veracity of this story.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    So, this may be a false flag, so certain riders can have the trials all to themselves...brilliant!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Don't

I live a few hours from there and have friends that are from there and friends that hunt down there (no, they are not the perps lol). Anyways, they say it is like stepping in to a time machine and it is very deliverance down there.

It is possible though they were just playing a bad prank but I don't doubt it happened.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

It ain't easy being Green
    Here's an interesting extra fact from the local news: "The victim returned fire with a Glock he had in his possession". Hmm... more to this than meets the eye perhaps? Is it common to pack while riding in them thar parts?

South Carolina man attacked by three men in McCormick County | Mobile Augusta

official eMpTyBRain
    Relax folks, they tend handle issues differently on that side of island. It's safe here.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Rogue Exterminator
    Here is the original post by the wife on the local sorba board.

Riders beware - assault on Stevens Creek | SORBA-CSRA Community Bulletin Board
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    i would feel safer if i (So cali resident) were able to carry. im in the woods and no phone service to call for help. even if i were to call it would be to late. i would be dead or injured.