Leash Law Enforcer

They're out there

I ride here in the early morning on my own sometimes. I might be rethinking that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23528272
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Geritol Power

I wouldn't worry about the lions in the day time

But watch out for rattle snakes. Saw 2 today at Sweetwater. Lots of grass making the single track real skinny. I always try to lookout for where I put my feet. One bite can ruin your whole day

Ever seen the pictures of what a rattle snake can do to your leg?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    But watch out for rattle snakes. Saw 2 today at Sweetwater. Lots of grass making the single track real skinny. I always try to lookout for where I put my feet. One bite can ruin your whole day

Ever seen the pictures of what a rattle snake can do to your leg?

Thanks for the heads up
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member

Of course they are out there!

They have probably watched you a few times. Why has this been an issue as of lately? Everyone being afraid of Mountain lions. For the most part they want nothing to do with us.
    If you feel it absoultely necessary to worry about something when you ride, here are a few other choices:
    1. Snakes
    2. The economy
    3. Terrorists
    Mountain biking takes place in the woods, in NATURE. If you cant take it, there is always a paved walkway waiting for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti
    They have probably watched you a few times. Why has this been an issue as of lately? Everyone being afraid of Mountain lions. For the most part they want nothing to do with us.
    If you feel it absoultely necessary to worry about something when you ride, here are a few other choices:
    1. Snakes
    2. The economy
    3. Terrorists
    Mountain biking takes place in the woods, in NATURE. If you cant take it, there is always a paved walkway waiting for you.
    That was a little harsh, don't you think? Pinch was pointing out an article about unusual mtn lion activity in an area he rides alone when they're active. Said he might reconsider that. They are a far more real threat to him than snakes, terrorists, or the economy -- none of which have directly killed mountain bikers in California -- but mtn lions have. The lions deserve a little respect, as does Pinch.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    why do people always seem to be so surprised when a mountain lion is spotted in the county? we do, after all, live and ride in prime cat country. with the number of people venturing into their habitat sightings are going to happen. just because you don't see them makes it somewhat better because then they aren't really there?

I've never seen one but I'd be very, very ignorant if I thought that I'd never been seen by one knowing that I have spent many, many hours in the terrain they call home.

YR

high plains drifter
    Watch out for those snakes !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Wow. I am genuinely surprised at the negative posts here. My main purpose was really to point out what I thought was an interesting and pertinent news article.

Although I was somewhat expecting it would happen at some point because of last yearís wildfires, I was surprised that these lions have been spotted in an extremely well traveled and highly populated area. Mission Trails posts signs about them and Iíve always known that they could be around, Iíve just never heard of a sighting. Itís not that I wouldnít expect them to be there, I just would have thought they would be in a different part of the park and would generally try to stay out of sight.

I ride bikes to be in nature too. Trust me, no one is more annoyed than me by most SoCalerís ignorance of their natural surroundings, particularly wild animals. I would actually be honored to see one of these cats in the wild. It is the one animal I would like to see in the wild, but have yet to do so. Iíll keep riding there at the same times, Iíll just be a little more alert (not that that would help me if one decided I was going to be breakfast).
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Geritol Power
    Only negative post I see here is old dog dan's. He's the one that told you your feelings should be hurt.

I agree with yeti. If you have ridden trails like Noble or Martha's much then I can assure you it's very likely that you were alot closer to a mountain lion then you would ever like to know. I suppose that's the reason for your post. To let people (especially little tasty ones) know they could be prey.

Yes, they are big and they have eaten people but chances are more likely that you will die in a car or your bathtub. I worry more about a rattler messing up my pretty legs or hands

EDIT: The lions and the warning signs have both been seen and not seen on and off in San Diego for the entire 51 years that I have lived here. Fires or not.

mtbr member
    To Pinch:
    Not trying to be negative, or stir the pot, but I get really annoyed by the talk of big cats. I think I'm more annoyed by the lack of understanding of these animals. Seriously, learn all that you can about the animal that you are freaked out about, and that will make you feel a lot better about it. Make lots of noise when you ride, have a bell, whatever makes you not look like a deer or food species. Cats are really not something to worry about on a trail, I worry more about getting a flat and having to stop to fix it, its annoying.
    Being in the woods with these animals is like being in the ocean with sharks, we all know they are there, but we surf anyway. Quite a few more shark attacks in history than mt. lion attacks. Surfers dont seem to worry, why do we bikers?

To old dog dan:
    Its too bad sarcasm is lost in the interweb. Yes mt. lions deserve respect. To do that we need to educate ourselves about them.
    No I dont worry about snakes or terrorists or the economy when I ride, they arent biker killers, but rattlesnakes you are probably going to encounter, higher probability that you will get bit. No they wont kill you, unless you are way out from civilization, but they will disfigure you, neurotoxic venom is pretty nasty.
    Anyway, just go ride, dont worry about cats or snakes, they dont want to run into you on the trail, I would like to see a cat though, I just hope I have my camera!

Geritol Power

In Laguna

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti
    I would like to see a cat though, I just hope I have my camera!
    A small group of us saw a mountain lion chase a big doe right across the top of Noble early one morning. They crossed the trail at high speed about 30 feet in front of us.. Very impressive cat That deer was very not happy about being breakfast for the kitty.

After that the youngsters didn't want to be in the back of the pack any more