Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Theft at PQ Canyon (SD)

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  castaway222 
#1 ·
Went for a ride around 4:30 today. Left our cars parked in the lot past the baseball fields by the ranch house. My friend's wallet was stolen out of his car. The wallet was under the seat (not in plain sight) and he's gotten many calls from the bank since (the thief has been trying to use his cards at Fashion Valley Mall for about $3,000 of purchases). I think it must be a pro or something b/c the wallet wasn't in sight and the car was broken into without any damage to the car (friend actually thought he'd accidentally left the car unlocked when we got back). Just an FYI... somebody might be watching you.

#2 ·
Too many theifs around these days. I suggest you "weigh yourself down" with your cell phone, wallet, keys and whatever else you used to hide under the front seat, under the floor matts, in the trunk....whereever.

If you can't leave it (whatever you don't want stolen) home, take it on the ride. If your wallet is too heavy to put in your camelback, then remove some of the fishing weights, excess credit cards, pictures of the ex-wives and old fortune cookie fortunes........

Ride safe, carefull and HAVE fun. Just don't horse around with the bad guys!

#3 ·
I've always brought everything with me so I haven't had a problem yet (knocking on my head). I guess the part that surprised me is that the thief obviously knew the wallet was in the car (since it was left out of sight). Nothing else was taken. Maybe we'll check it out if we go again this coming weekend.

#4 ·
sucks to be violated

I used to run with a group on Mission bay. One day at the visitor's info center bad guys opened about 10 cars without a scratch and took everything of value and even locked the cars again after they were done.

I have been paranoid ever since. I always take my wallet with me or lock it in my Weathergaurd toolbox. You can't stop bad guys, just slow them down or make them aim for someone easier.

#5 ·
Duzitall said:
You can't stop bad guys, just slow them down or make them aim for someone easier.
Sad but true. You think if we caught the guy the police would do anything?

#6 ·
It is all about identity theft. 9 out of 10 car break-ins are for the wallets and purses. More and more radios have anti-theft devices. It won't work after it is remove from the original vehicle. Besides what is a radio worth to a tweeker? 50 bucks. There are many places to use and reuse credit cards, IDs, and for those of you who insist in keeping your SS# card in your wallet, the keys to your life.

Those signs that say don't leave anything of value in you car are there for this exact reason. It completely sucks that we have to be this cautious but this is the sad reality.

Sorry about the break-in. PQ is my freaking back yard.

#8 ·
So just an update for anyone who might be interested:
Thief rang up 23,000 dollars of purchases across 5 cards.
If you see a caucasian male, 6'2", "handsome" (according to the clerks at the stores he visited); GET HIM

#9 ·
will8250 said:
So just an update for anyone who might be interested:
Thief rang up 23,000 dollars of purchases across 5 cards.
If you see a caucasian male, 6'2", "handsome" (according to the clerks at the stores he visited); GET HIM
Really surprised that your friend didn't freeze his credit cards immediately ... or did he?

OMR

#11 ·
He told me he thought he'd misplaced it somewhere so he went to dinner. He got a call from the bank in the middle of dinner. I'm pretty sure he could've been a bit more proactive about canceling his cards and what not.

Is there a better place to park around there? I was thinking that perhaps we could park further towards the street (with all the baseball/softball parents) but then they go home mid afternoon as well right?

#13 ·
Bastard! Same thing happened to me at the Mission Trails trailhead at the end of Clairemeont Mesa Blvd a few years back. Took two credit cards, left my cash, didn't know until the card company called me to advise that several thousand $$$ had been rung up at Fry's in Mission Valley.

I HATE THIEVES. HATE THEM.

#14 ·
Did your friend report it to the police, if not I would highly suggest he report it, the police and park Rangers needs to know of any criminal activity within the Park so they know to increase patrols of the area.

#16 ·
Hi Greg,
My friend did report it to the police but hasn't reported it to the park rangers. What is the best way to get in touch with them?

to MTP: Fry's huh? That seems like quite the spot to blow other people's cash. The thief who took my friend's wallet also went to Fry's... and Gucci... and the Sony Store... and the Mac Store... =P

#17 ·
will8250 said:
Hi Greg,
My friend did report it to the police but hasn't reported it to the park rangers. What is the best way to get in touch with them?
Now that I think of it, I am sure the police will inform the Park Rangers of any criminal activity.

BTW, I read you have a Pike, how do you like it, I have a Pike 454 Air U-Turn on order, I should get it by next week, hopefully in time for my trip to Fruita.

#18 ·
I have cultivated a certain "look" and possibly even "scent" to my truck suffice to say, only an idiot would waste their time thinking there is anything of value inside. And even if they did, the wallet is hidden up under the dash. now you know.

#19 ·
Pike is great. I love the adjustability of the air ones. I had a coil one for a while and it never felt quite as nice as the dual air unit. How's the 5 Spot been treating you? Where have you been riding lately?

#23 ·
HarryCallahan said:
Mm. Or maybe a paintball marker?

Thief might have trouble going on a shpping spree if he is fluorescent green and covered in welts! :thumbsup:
So true... But wouldn't it also be nice if you had those paintballs with the mace/pepper formula in it? I've seen it used as a non-lethal alternative and it works great especially when the paintballs are targeted near the neck/shoulder line area... I'm just not sure if it's available to the public...

#24 ·
Justice or just-us?

I friend of mine was tired of getting ripped off (no help from police) and shot a bum with a BB gun that he caught screwing around with his stuff. Guess which one got arrested, the drunk homeless drug addict thief or the taxpayer protecting his hard earned stuff?

He did many weekends of community service instead of riding his bike and now has a criminal record of assalt with intent to do harm.

Sucks don't it? Chris

#26 ·
I think that's a great question. What DO you do in that instance? Jot down as many identifying characteristics as possible and follow them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.