Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

That's going to leave a mark - cross post from Passion

So, I wasn't able to ride this weekend but I wanted to get out twice this week at work for lunch. I have been doing Discovery Hills at least once and often twice each week at work during lunch. The ride is short, it takes just about an hour and is only 6-8 miles total.

There are two climbable ways up to the top from my work and two (one of which is a way up) ways down that are worth their time. I usually alternate between routes to add a bit of variety.

of the two ways down, one is pretty fast and loaded with high banked, bermed corners. There are a few rocky technical sections but its generally a pretty straightforward trail. This is one of the two ways I normally climb up.

The other way down is much different. It's very, very technical and loaded with a lot of rocks, step downs, and steep sections. Very, Very fun. I've done it at least a dozen times.

Well, today I decided to go up the twisty climb and down the techy way. I climbed all the way to the top and talked for about 5 minutes about which way he and his friends (I had passed his two buddies on my way up) were going down.

He was on a Nomad and his friends were also on very big hit bikes. I see them there regularly and I know they also alternate which way they go down for variety. He said they were going down the techy way and I mentioned how it is fun yet totally doable on a HT. He agreed but then stated how the FS does add some fun factory (which I had to agree with) but he normally pads up for some extra courage. I said, yeah, but you don't really need it. Boy was I wrong..............

I headed down the trail and turned onto the techy descent. I cleared the first couple of rock drops and even did one step down that I only cleared cleanly for the first time last ride out there.

Then, for some reason, I got to a section that is kind of steep down but not really that hard. There are a bunch of rocks but I don't recall ever having a problem before. Today, problem!

I stuffed my front wheel into a rock (apparently, I still don't know what I hit) and started to go over. I distinctly recall thinking how this may hurt because there's literally not a soft spot of earth to land on. Nothing but rocks. Nothing but sharp, jagged rocks to be specific. Not like those at Bootleg Canyon, but still lots of sharp edges.

I went about 3/4 of the way over the bars as I went up and over but leaned to the left. I felt my knee smack the ground and again though "hmmmmm, that may hurt a bit". I don't think I hit much else so I popped right up. My knee did hurt. But I expected it to.

I then felt the rather strange sensation of something warm and wet dribbling down my leg. Again, not too big a deal. I've cut myself on my knee/leg before and felt blood dribbling down my leg. I didn't think much of it.

Then I looked down.........................

My shin was already (it'd only been what, 10 seconds?) covered in blood. The entire front was just beet read. My sock was already soaked and what was once white was now red. Then I saw my knee. This was no flesh wound (Monty Python reference anybody?). My kneecap was nicely filleted open. from the bottom left of my kneecap all the way to the middle of the right side, and back to the upper left corner. The skin was pulled back along the entire length. overall length about 3.5 inches.

I saw tendons, lots of nice meaty flesh, and oddly enough a bit of fatty tissue (maybe it's just my knee that's fat?) I also saw something hard and white. Urgent care confirmed this would be my patella!

Now what? I was up on the top of the hill 3 plus miles from the office. I had to get to the bottom somehow. I tested the knee and said well, fluck it. I gotta get down. I mounted up and headed down the hill.

I took a shortcut back which turned out to be rather technical in its own right but made it to the bottom of the trail mostly by coasting. I then had to pedal on the road some to get back to the office. the problem was, I had to do a little climbing which meant pedaling. That kind of hurt!

I crest the short climb and coast most of the rest of the way down back to my work. I go to our fitness center and the head trainer helps me clean up. Blood everywhere! We manage to bandage it up a bit and keep the flow of blood to a minimum.

I call my wife to have her call our doc in order to find out if I should go to Urgent Care or straight to the ER. She asks why. I just say, I cut my knee riding and I need some stitches. She asks “are you sure” My only response was “Yep!”

A coworker takes me to urgent care and as I'm checking in my knee starts bleeding through the bandage. It’s dripping down my leg again. I hear somebody who's also waiting say to somebody "wow, he's going to have to go in right away for that".

I ask the receptionist for a towel because I'm now bleeding all over the floor. A nurse comes right out to get me and they take the bandage off. A Doc comes right in to assess the damage and I'm brought right into a suture room. I even joked about the quick service and the triage nurse said that two sure ways to get to the head of the line are profuse bleeding and chest pain!

As I was in the examination room, two other nurses poke their heads in "just to look" and another Doc also comes in to sightsee. I apparently was the "interesting" patient at Urgent care today!

After about an hour and a half and a bit of pain, I have about ten dissolvable stitches inside my knee and twenty on the exterior.

it doesn't hurt much yet. I'm sure it will. stitches will remain in for 12 to 14 days. Not sure when I can ride again. I may not go down the techy trail the first time out but I will get up on that horse again!

My only regret, no pictures. I wish we got some with the flap of skin filleted out there but alas, it was not to be.

Not quite as exciting as rolling down a hell out in the desert or T-boning a car while on a road ride but still. I've been riding since 1989 and this is the first time I've required medical attention for an injury. I hope it's the last!

Vicodin Prescription being filled as we speak/type.

Michael
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 11-13-2007 at 11:46 AM.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    So, I wasn't able to ride this weekend but I wanted to get out twice this week at work for lunch. I have been doing Discovery Hills at least once and often twice each week at work during lunch. The ride is short, it takes just about an hour and is only 6-8 miles total.

There are two climbable ways up to the top from my work and two (one of which is a way up) ways down that are worth their time. I usually alternate between routes to add a bit of variety.

of the two ways down, one is pretty fast and loaded with high banked, bermed corners. There are a few rocky technical sections but its generally a pretty straightforward trail. This is one of the two ways I normally climb up.

The other way down is much different. It's very, very technical and loaded with a lot of rocks, step downs, and steep sections. Very, Very fun. I've done it at least a dozen times.

Well, today I decided to go up the twisty climb and down the techy way. I climbed all the way to the top and talked for about 5 minutes about which way he and his friends (I had passed his two buddies on my way up) were going down.

He was on a Nomad and his friends were also on very big hit bikes. I see them there regularly and I know they also alternate which way they go down for variety. He said they were going down the techy way and I mentioned how it is fun yet totally doable on a HT. He agreed but then stated how the FS does add some fun factory (which I had to agree with) but he normally pads up for some extra courage. I said, yeah, but you don't really need it. Boy was I wrong..............

I headed down the trail and turned onto the techy descent. I cleared the first couple of rock drops and even did one step down that I only cleared cleanly for the first time last ride out there.

Then, for some reason, I got to a section that is kind of steep down but not really that hard. There are a bunch of rocks but I don't recall ever having a problem before. Today, problem!

I stuffed my front wheel into a rock (apparently, I still don't know what I hit) and started to go over. I distinctly recall thinking how this may hurt because there's literally not a soft spot of earth to land on. Nothing but rocks. Nothing but sharp, jagged rocks to be specific. Not like those at Bootleg Canyon, but still lots of sharp edges.

I went about 3/4 of the way over the bars as I went up and over but leaned to the left. I felt my knee smack the ground and again though "hmmmmm, that may hurt a bit". I don't think I hit much else so I popped right up. My knee did hurt. But I expected it to.

I then felt the rather strange sensation of something warm and wet dribbling down my leg. Again, not too big a deal. I've cut myself on my knee/leg before and felt blood dribbling down my leg. I didn't think much of it.

Then I looked down.........................

My shin was already (it'd only been what, 10 seconds?) covered in blood. The entire front was just beet read. My sock was already soaked and what was once white was now red. Then I saw my knee. This was no flesh wound (Monty Python reference anybody?). My kneecap was nicely filleted open. from the bottom left of my kneecap all the way to the middle of the right side, and back to the upper left corner. The skin was pulled back along the entire length. overall length about 3.5 inches.

I saw tendons, lots of nice meaty flesh, and oddly enough a bit of fatty tissue (maybe it's just my knee that's fat?) I also saw something hard and white. Urgent care confirmed this would be my patella!

Now what? I was up on the top of the hill 3 plus miles from the office. I had to get to the bottom somehow. I tested the knee and said well, fluck it. I gotta get down. I mounted up and headed down the hill.

I took a shortcut back which turned out to be rather technical in its own right but made it to the bottom of the trail mostly by coasting. I then had to pedal on the road some to get back to the office. the problem was, I had to do a little climbing which meant pedaling. That kind of hurt!

I crest the short climb and coast most of the rest of the way down back to my work. I go to our fitness center and the head trainer helps me clean up. Blood everywhere! We manage to bandage it up a bit and keep the flow of blood to a minimum.

I call my wife to have her call our doc in order to find out if I should go to Urgent Care or straight to the ER. She asks why. I just say, I cut my knee riding and I need some stitches. She asks “are you sure” My only response was “Yep!”

A coworker takes me to urgent care and as I'm checking in my knee starts bleeding through the bandage. It’s dripping down my leg again. I hear somebody who's also waiting say to somebody "wow, he's going to have to go in right away for that".

I ask the receptionist for a towel because I'm now bleeding all over the floor. A nurse comes right out to get me and they take the bandage off. A Doc comes right in to assess the damage and I'm brought right into a suture room. I even joked about the quick service and the triage nurse said that two sure ways to get to the head of the line are profuse bleeding and chest pain!

As I was in the examination room, two other nurses poke their heads in "just to look" and another Doc also comes in to sightsee. I apparently was the "interesting" patient at Urgent care today!

After about an hour and a half and a bit of pain, I have about ten dissolvable stitches inside my knee and two on the exterior.

it doesn't hurt much yet. I'm sure it will. stitches will remain in for 12 to 14 days. Not sure when I can ride again. I may not go down the techy trail the first time out but I will get up on that horse again!

My only regret, no pictures. I wish we got some with the flap of skin filleted out there but alas, it was not to be.

Not quite as exciting as rolling down a hell out in the desert or T-boning a car while on a road ride but still. I've been riding since 1989 and this is the first time I've required medical attention for an injury. I hope it's the last!

Vicodin Prescription being filled as we speak/type.

Michael

Urgent care co pay $50

Riding uphill with a breeze blowing on a exposed patella... priceless.

A Certaindoc once told me that if you say you're having trouble breathing, that they'll rush you to the back quickly too.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

i eat rocks
    did that once but not as large, i was next to my house so i went in the shower to clean it out, i was using my finger to pull out rocks and stuff from inside my knee. only 8 stitches though. the next few days will be rough, as you dont want to move it but then it stiffens up and you have to move it to get around.

youll be riding sooner than 2 weeks.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Ouch, sorry to hear! Great write up though. Get better.
    If not biking, then what?

CEB
    No horse'n round
    [SIZE="6"]OUCH![/SIZE]

You'll be back on it in no time, just ask BEAR!

Chip

Glad to Be Alive
    heal up...sorry to hear
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    wow, thanks for the write up and take it easy!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This post is useless without pics.

Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    This post is useless without pics.
    I found a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i can't type the letter s
    Bummer Michael! Glad you handled it well.

I've had kind of a tough year with injuries also. You know about the hand, which is good BTW. Three weeks ago (the day the fires started actually) I'm going up Iron and there is a small down on the up; well I go OTB because I'm trying out a new Lyrik with U-Turn forgeting I dialed it down to 4 inches, doh! If I had the full 6 inches, no problem but I go down and split open my knee, down to the bone! Internal and external stiches later, I'm doing fine, but while the stiches came out last week, my knee is still spitting and pissing crap with an open wound.

I thought that after the stiches came out all would be good with no deep wound penetrance or bleeding, but nope, still pretty deep and not very nice looking.

You take care bro, and you've got a sympathizer.

pewpewpew Moderator
    ouch! glad you are ok, yeri-rider!
    Love, Impy

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Bummer Michael! Glad you handled it well.

I've had kind of a tough year with injuries also. You know about the hand, which is good BTW. Three weeks ago (the day the fires started actually) I'm going up Iron and there is a small down on the up; well I go OTB because I'm trying out a new Lyrik with U-Turn forgeting I dialed it down to 4 inches, doh! If I had the full 6 inches, no problem but I go down and split open my knee, down to the bone! Internal and external stiches later, I'm doing fine, but while the stiches came out last week, my knee is still spitting and pissing crap with an open wound.

I thought that after the stiches came out all would be good with no deep wound penetrance or bleeding, but nope, still pretty deep and not very nice looking.

You take care bro, and you've got a sympathizer.
    Hey Tom,

So what you're saying is be cautiously optimistic about my recovery!

I'm just bummed because I haven't been riding nearly as regularly as I would like due to my personal time on the weekends and after work (4 year old and 2 year old) so my lunch rides while short, were sometimes all i could do. now, I can't even do that!

Knee hurts like a mother right now but I'm avoiding taking the vicodin in favor of ibuprofen. Much like when you hurt your thumb I'm sure, you never really know just how often you bend your knee every day..........until you can't! like taking care of a little business in the little mountain biker's room for starters.................

YR

Baby-heads.... oh joy!

Heal Well...

I have felt your pain man. I too have done something similar. Back in '98 on Horsethief....just wasn't paying attention, and carrying way too much speed = internal self dissolving sutures, and 13 staple's just below knee cap. Man I was half-way down the trail when I did it....doh!!! Staples didn't come out for 2 and a half months. I sure as he!! wasn't back on the bike in two weeks thats for sure. So...here's to a speedy recovery, and a quality rehab. At least you will have one perfectly tuned up ride.....both times I jacked myself up I seemed to work on the bike almost everyday, taking parts off, and apart, cleaning, recleaning, lubing, and again, over and over and over, until the glorious day you can bend the knee without pain, and ride. I don't envy the pain you'll be feeling in a coupla days if you miss your vicodin dose(s).
    Heal well.

Quote Originally Posted by Da-Sloth
    At least you will have one perfectly tuned up ride.....both times I jacked myself up I seemed to work on the bike almost everyday, taking parts off, and apart, cleaning, recleaning, lubing, and again.
    Heal well.
    I hear ya on that one.

Just yesterday in the mail came the new DT Swiss wheelset. The Fox Float RLC is coming off next week and is getting sent to Push for an overhaul. Probably put on some new cables and housings too!

YR

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Nasty! It would be better with photos, though. If you tear the wound open, snap a few shots (get the patella!) and head over to Urgent Care, you can just tell them they didn't stitch it right. They'll fix it up and you're good to go.

mtbr member

pics should be good now

Should be nice and purpley yellow by now. That grape juicy and B12 vomitus color.

Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Should be nice and purpley yellow by now. That grape juicy and B12 vomitus color.
    color actually looks okay today. I'm gong to unwrap it tonight and take a pic of the embroidery so that'll be up tomorrow.

YR

Here's a couple of after pictures

Its only 1" on the map!
    When I first saw this post, I was like cool!, Yeti-Rider is on the dirt again. Then I read on....bummer. 30 Total that is pretty good. Heal Up quick

Skin-Knee Guards - Cheaper than stitches
    (Then again, I highly doubt I would pad up for that section of trail unless I was going go for some air on the way down)

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Mike:

Take something sharp and stab your lower knee cap. Turn that wound into a smiley face.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Lord of the Chainrings
    Hey Mike,

I'm the Nomad rider who talked to you at the top, along with VP-Free rider; (RockStar).

I actually witnessed your fall, dude! I made a comment to RockStar about it.

This is the reason we pack our knee pads for the downhill trip!
    Now are you convinced that F/S is the only way to go?

My car was at the street, so I could have taken you to the urgent care!

Heal up fast my friend!
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-29-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody saw it. I knew you guys were behind me so in the event that I absolutely could not continue down the trail I knew help would be on the way.......

When I got down to the bottom I thought about waiting since I knew you guys would be coming along but the knee really didn't hurt that much yet (adrenaline is a good thing) so I just kept on going. I'm sure if anybody driving down the road looked over and saw me they'd have some serious questions going through their head!

I'm not so sure FS would have helped other than I probably would have been going a bit faster. Lack of rear suspension wasn't my issue so much as I clearly was going too slow so that when I hit the rock with my front end I got launched OTB.

Don't think the irony of our conversation about me going down that trail on my HT sans pads was lost on me though........maybe it was a bad omen!

I may invest in some knee pads since I'm certainly not going to stay away from that trail when I can get back on the bike!

Keep the trails in good shape for me for when I get back. Hopefully in a few weeks!

Michael

If you have to ask...
    Get yourself a set of kneepads, Michael. You know I like a man who looks good in kneepads.

All joking aside, I thought I gave you a set of knee/shin pads. If you don't have them, I don't have a clue who does...

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member

I feel your pain!

This one happened to me about 2 months ago. Used my forearm as a brake pad on the trail. 60 stitches later, I now wear elbow/forearm pads.

Heal fast!

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Get yourself a set of kneepads, Michael. You know I like a man who looks good in kneepads.

All joking aside, I thought I gave you a set of knee/shin pads. If you don't have them, I don't have a clue who does...

miles

Nope, I never got them. I just owe you money for other bike parts! ;-)

Michael

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast