Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
  1. #1
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316

    That's going to leave a mark - cross post from Passion

    So, I wasn't able to ride this weekend but I wanted to get out twice this week at work for lunch. I have been doing Discovery Hills at least once and often twice each week at work during lunch. The ride is short, it takes just about an hour and is only 6-8 miles total.

    There are two climbable ways up to the top from my work and two (one of which is a way up) ways down that are worth their time. I usually alternate between routes to add a bit of variety.

    of the two ways down, one is pretty fast and loaded with high banked, bermed corners. There are a few rocky technical sections but its generally a pretty straightforward trail. This is one of the two ways I normally climb up.

    The other way down is much different. It's very, very technical and loaded with a lot of rocks, step downs, and steep sections. Very, Very fun. I've done it at least a dozen times.

    Well, today I decided to go up the twisty climb and down the techy way. I climbed all the way to the top and talked for about 5 minutes about which way he and his friends (I had passed his two buddies on my way up) were going down.

    He was on a Nomad and his friends were also on very big hit bikes. I see them there regularly and I know they also alternate which way they go down for variety. He said they were going down the techy way and I mentioned how it is fun yet totally doable on a HT. He agreed but then stated how the FS does add some fun factory (which I had to agree with) but he normally pads up for some extra courage. I said, yeah, but you don't really need it. Boy was I wrong..............

    I headed down the trail and turned onto the techy descent. I cleared the first couple of rock drops and even did one step down that I only cleared cleanly for the first time last ride out there.

    Then, for some reason, I got to a section that is kind of steep down but not really that hard. There are a bunch of rocks but I don't recall ever having a problem before. Today, problem!

    I stuffed my front wheel into a rock (apparently, I still don't know what I hit) and started to go over. I distinctly recall thinking how this may hurt because there's literally not a soft spot of earth to land on. Nothing but rocks. Nothing but sharp, jagged rocks to be specific. Not like those at Bootleg Canyon, but still lots of sharp edges.

    I went about 3/4 of the way over the bars as I went up and over but leaned to the left. I felt my knee smack the ground and again though "hmmmmm, that may hurt a bit". I don't think I hit much else so I popped right up. My knee did hurt. But I expected it to.

    I then felt the rather strange sensation of something warm and wet dribbling down my leg. Again, not too big a deal. I've cut myself on my knee/leg before and felt blood dribbling down my leg. I didn't think much of it.

    Then I looked down.........................

    My shin was already (it'd only been what, 10 seconds?) covered in blood. The entire front was just beet read. My sock was already soaked and what was once white was now red. Then I saw my knee. This was no flesh wound (Monty Python reference anybody?). My kneecap was nicely filleted open. from the bottom left of my kneecap all the way to the middle of the right side, and back to the upper left corner. The skin was pulled back along the entire length. overall length about 3.5 inches.

    I saw tendons, lots of nice meaty flesh, and oddly enough a bit of fatty tissue (maybe it's just my knee that's fat?) I also saw something hard and white. Urgent care confirmed this would be my patella!

    Now what? I was up on the top of the hill 3 plus miles from the office. I had to get to the bottom somehow. I tested the knee and said well, fluck it. I gotta get down. I mounted up and headed down the hill.

    I took a shortcut back which turned out to be rather technical in its own right but made it to the bottom of the trail mostly by coasting. I then had to pedal on the road some to get back to the office. the problem was, I had to do a little climbing which meant pedaling. That kind of hurt!

    I crest the short climb and coast most of the rest of the way down back to my work. I go to our fitness center and the head trainer helps me clean up. Blood everywhere! We manage to bandage it up a bit and keep the flow of blood to a minimum.

    I call my wife to have her call our doc in order to find out if I should go to Urgent Care or straight to the ER. She asks why. I just say, I cut my knee riding and I need some stitches. She asks “are you sure” My only response was “Yep!”

    A coworker takes me to urgent care and as I'm checking in my knee starts bleeding through the bandage. It’s dripping down my leg again. I hear somebody who's also waiting say to somebody "wow, he's going to have to go in right away for that".

    I ask the receptionist for a towel because I'm now bleeding all over the floor. A nurse comes right out to get me and they take the bandage off. A Doc comes right in to assess the damage and I'm brought right into a suture room. I even joked about the quick service and the triage nurse said that two sure ways to get to the head of the line are profuse bleeding and chest pain!

    As I was in the examination room, two other nurses poke their heads in "just to look" and another Doc also comes in to sightsee. I apparently was the "interesting" patient at Urgent care today!

    After about an hour and a half and a bit of pain, I have about ten dissolvable stitches inside my knee and twenty on the exterior.

    it doesn't hurt much yet. I'm sure it will. stitches will remain in for 12 to 14 days. Not sure when I can ride again. I may not go down the techy trail the first time out but I will get up on that horse again!

    My only regret, no pictures. I wish we got some with the flap of skin filleted out there but alas, it was not to be.

    Not quite as exciting as rolling down a hell out in the desert or T-boning a car while on a road ride but still. I've been riding since 1989 and this is the first time I've required medical attention for an injury. I hope it's the last!

    Vicodin Prescription being filled as we speak/type.

    Michael
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 11-13-2007 at 11:46 AM.

  2. #2
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    So, I wasn't able to ride this weekend but I wanted to get out twice this week at work for lunch. I have been doing Discovery Hills at least once and often twice each week at work during lunch. The ride is short, it takes just about an hour and is only 6-8 miles total.

    There are two climbable ways up to the top from my work and two (one of which is a way up) ways down that are worth their time. I usually alternate between routes to add a bit of variety.

    of the two ways down, one is pretty fast and loaded with high banked, bermed corners. There are a few rocky technical sections but its generally a pretty straightforward trail. This is one of the two ways I normally climb up.

    The other way down is much different. It's very, very technical and loaded with a lot of rocks, step downs, and steep sections. Very, Very fun. I've done it at least a dozen times.

    Well, today I decided to go up the twisty climb and down the techy way. I climbed all the way to the top and talked for about 5 minutes about which way he and his friends (I had passed his two buddies on my way up) were going down.

    He was on a Nomad and his friends were also on very big hit bikes. I see them there regularly and I know they also alternate which way they go down for variety. He said they were going down the techy way and I mentioned how it is fun yet totally doable on a HT. He agreed but then stated how the FS does add some fun factory (which I had to agree with) but he normally pads up for some extra courage. I said, yeah, but you don't really need it. Boy was I wrong..............

    I headed down the trail and turned onto the techy descent. I cleared the first couple of rock drops and even did one step down that I only cleared cleanly for the first time last ride out there.

    Then, for some reason, I got to a section that is kind of steep down but not really that hard. There are a bunch of rocks but I don't recall ever having a problem before. Today, problem!

    I stuffed my front wheel into a rock (apparently, I still don't know what I hit) and started to go over. I distinctly recall thinking how this may hurt because there's literally not a soft spot of earth to land on. Nothing but rocks. Nothing but sharp, jagged rocks to be specific. Not like those at Bootleg Canyon, but still lots of sharp edges.

    I went about 3/4 of the way over the bars as I went up and over but leaned to the left. I felt my knee smack the ground and again though "hmmmmm, that may hurt a bit". I don't think I hit much else so I popped right up. My knee did hurt. But I expected it to.

    I then felt the rather strange sensation of something warm and wet dribbling down my leg. Again, not too big a deal. I've cut myself on my knee/leg before and felt blood dribbling down my leg. I didn't think much of it.

    Then I looked down.........................

    My shin was already (it'd only been what, 10 seconds?) covered in blood. The entire front was just beet read. My sock was already soaked and what was once white was now red. Then I saw my knee. This was no flesh wound (Monty Python reference anybody?). My kneecap was nicely filleted open. from the bottom left of my kneecap all the way to the middle of the right side, and back to the upper left corner. The skin was pulled back along the entire length. overall length about 3.5 inches.

    I saw tendons, lots of nice meaty flesh, and oddly enough a bit of fatty tissue (maybe it's just my knee that's fat?) I also saw something hard and white. Urgent care confirmed this would be my patella!

    Now what? I was up on the top of the hill 3 plus miles from the office. I had to get to the bottom somehow. I tested the knee and said well, fluck it. I gotta get down. I mounted up and headed down the hill.

    I took a shortcut back which turned out to be rather technical in its own right but made it to the bottom of the trail mostly by coasting. I then had to pedal on the road some to get back to the office. the problem was, I had to do a little climbing which meant pedaling. That kind of hurt!

    I crest the short climb and coast most of the rest of the way down back to my work. I go to our fitness center and the head trainer helps me clean up. Blood everywhere! We manage to bandage it up a bit and keep the flow of blood to a minimum.

    I call my wife to have her call our doc in order to find out if I should go to Urgent Care or straight to the ER. She asks why. I just say, I cut my knee riding and I need some stitches. She asks “are you sure” My only response was “Yep!”

    A coworker takes me to urgent care and as I'm checking in my knee starts bleeding through the bandage. It’s dripping down my leg again. I hear somebody who's also waiting say to somebody "wow, he's going to have to go in right away for that".

    I ask the receptionist for a towel because I'm now bleeding all over the floor. A nurse comes right out to get me and they take the bandage off. A Doc comes right in to assess the damage and I'm brought right into a suture room. I even joked about the quick service and the triage nurse said that two sure ways to get to the head of the line are profuse bleeding and chest pain!

    As I was in the examination room, two other nurses poke their heads in "just to look" and another Doc also comes in to sightsee. I apparently was the "interesting" patient at Urgent care today!

    After about an hour and a half and a bit of pain, I have about ten dissolvable stitches inside my knee and two on the exterior.

    it doesn't hurt much yet. I'm sure it will. stitches will remain in for 12 to 14 days. Not sure when I can ride again. I may not go down the techy trail the first time out but I will get up on that horse again!

    My only regret, no pictures. I wish we got some with the flap of skin filleted out there but alas, it was not to be.

    Not quite as exciting as rolling down a hell out in the desert or T-boning a car while on a road ride but still. I've been riding since 1989 and this is the first time I've required medical attention for an injury. I hope it's the last!

    Vicodin Prescription being filled as we speak/type.

    Michael

    Urgent care co pay $50

    Riding uphill with a breeze blowing on a exposed patella... priceless.

    A Certaindoc once told me that if you say you're having trouble breathing, that they'll rush you to the back quickly too.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  3. #3
    i eat rocks
    Reputation: gil_caz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    379
    did that once but not as large, i was next to my house so i went in the shower to clean it out, i was using my finger to pull out rocks and stuff from inside my knee. only 8 stitches though. the next few days will be rough, as you dont want to move it but then it stiffens up and you have to move it to get around.

    youll be riding sooner than 2 weeks.

  4. #4
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    Ouch, sorry to hear! Great write up though. Get better.
    If not biking, then what?

  5. #5
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    The beauty surrounds
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,232
    OUCH!

    You'll be back on it in no time, just ask BEAR!

    Chip

  6. #6
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    heal up...sorry to hear
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    wow, thanks for the write up and take it easy!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    229
    This post is useless without pics.

  9. #9
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    This post is useless without pics.
    I found a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    i can't type the letter s
    Reputation: mouse jockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Bummer Michael! Glad you handled it well.

    I've had kind of a tough year with injuries also. You know about the hand, which is good BTW. Three weeks ago (the day the fires started actually) I'm going up Iron and there is a small down on the up; well I go OTB because I'm trying out a new Lyrik with U-Turn forgeting I dialed it down to 4 inches, doh! If I had the full 6 inches, no problem but I go down and split open my knee, down to the bone! Internal and external stiches later, I'm doing fine, but while the stiches came out last week, my knee is still spitting and pissing crap with an open wound.

    I thought that after the stiches came out all would be good with no deep wound penetrance or bleeding, but nope, still pretty deep and not very nice looking.

    You take care bro, and you've got a sympathizer.

  11. #11
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,132
    ouch! glad you are ok, yeri-rider!
    Love, Impy

  12. #12
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Bummer Michael! Glad you handled it well.

    I've had kind of a tough year with injuries also. You know about the hand, which is good BTW. Three weeks ago (the day the fires started actually) I'm going up Iron and there is a small down on the up; well I go OTB because I'm trying out a new Lyrik with U-Turn forgeting I dialed it down to 4 inches, doh! If I had the full 6 inches, no problem but I go down and split open my knee, down to the bone! Internal and external stiches later, I'm doing fine, but while the stiches came out last week, my knee is still spitting and pissing crap with an open wound.

    I thought that after the stiches came out all would be good with no deep wound penetrance or bleeding, but nope, still pretty deep and not very nice looking.

    You take care bro, and you've got a sympathizer.
    Hey Tom,

    So what you're saying is be cautiously optimistic about my recovery!

    I'm just bummed because I haven't been riding nearly as regularly as I would like due to my personal time on the weekends and after work (4 year old and 2 year old) so my lunch rides while short, were sometimes all i could do. now, I can't even do that!

    Knee hurts like a mother right now but I'm avoiding taking the vicodin in favor of ibuprofen. Much like when you hurt your thumb I'm sure, you never really know just how often you bend your knee every day..........until you can't! like taking care of a little business in the little mountain biker's room for starters.................

    YR

  13. #13
    Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Reputation: Da-Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    236

    Heal Well...

    I have felt your pain man. I too have done something similar. Back in '98 on Horsethief....just wasn't paying attention, and carrying way too much speed = internal self dissolving sutures, and 13 staple's just below knee cap. Man I was half-way down the trail when I did it....doh!!! Staples didn't come out for 2 and a half months. I sure as he!! wasn't back on the bike in two weeks thats for sure. So...here's to a speedy recovery, and a quality rehab. At least you will have one perfectly tuned up ride.....both times I jacked myself up I seemed to work on the bike almost everyday, taking parts off, and apart, cleaning, recleaning, lubing, and again, over and over and over, until the glorious day you can bend the knee without pain, and ride. I don't envy the pain you'll be feeling in a coupla days if you miss your vicodin dose(s).
    Heal well.

  14. #14
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Da-Sloth
    At least you will have one perfectly tuned up ride.....both times I jacked myself up I seemed to work on the bike almost everyday, taking parts off, and apart, cleaning, recleaning, lubing, and again.
    Heal well.
    I hear ya on that one.

    Just yesterday in the mail came the new DT Swiss wheelset. The Fox Float RLC is coming off next week and is getting sent to Push for an overhaul. Probably put on some new cables and housings too!

    YR

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,088

    ... and if we just ...

    Nasty! It would be better with photos, though. If you tear the wound open, snap a few shots (get the patella!) and head over to Urgent Care, you can just tell them they didn't stitch it right. They'll fix it up and you're good to go.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    pics should be good now

    Should be nice and purpley yellow by now. That grape juicy and B12 vomitus color.

  17. #17
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Should be nice and purpley yellow by now. That grape juicy and B12 vomitus color.
    color actually looks okay today. I'm gong to unwrap it tonight and take a pic of the embroidery so that'll be up tomorrow.

    YR

  18. #18
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Here's a couple of after pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,148
    When I first saw this post, I was like cool!, Yeti-Rider is on the dirt again. Then I read on....bummer. 30 Total that is pretty good. Heal Up quick

    Skin-Knee Guards - Cheaper than stitches
    (Then again, I highly doubt I would pad up for that section of trail unless I was going go for some air on the way down)

  20. #20
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970
    Mike:

    Take something sharp and stab your lower knee cap. Turn that wound into a smiley face.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  21. #21
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Hey Mike,

    I'm the Nomad rider who talked to you at the top, along with VP-Free rider; (RockStar).

    I actually witnessed your fall, dude! I made a comment to RockStar about it.

    This is the reason we pack our knee pads for the downhill trip!
    Now are you convinced that F/S is the only way to go?

    My car was at the street, so I could have taken you to the urgent care!

    Heal up fast my friend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-29-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  22. #22
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Hey,

    I was wondering if anybody saw it. I knew you guys were behind me so in the event that I absolutely could not continue down the trail I knew help would be on the way.......

    When I got down to the bottom I thought about waiting since I knew you guys would be coming along but the knee really didn't hurt that much yet (adrenaline is a good thing) so I just kept on going. I'm sure if anybody driving down the road looked over and saw me they'd have some serious questions going through their head!

    I'm not so sure FS would have helped other than I probably would have been going a bit faster. Lack of rear suspension wasn't my issue so much as I clearly was going too slow so that when I hit the rock with my front end I got launched OTB.

    Don't think the irony of our conversation about me going down that trail on my HT sans pads was lost on me though........maybe it was a bad omen!

    I may invest in some knee pads since I'm certainly not going to stay away from that trail when I can get back on the bike!

    Keep the trails in good shape for me for when I get back. Hopefully in a few weeks!

    Michael

  23. #23
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650
    Get yourself a set of kneepads, Michael. You know I like a man who looks good in kneepads.


    All joking aside, I thought I gave you a set of knee/shin pads. If you don't have them, I don't have a clue who does...



    miles
    It's 7:09 California time

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shmrcksean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    128

    I feel your pain!

    This one happened to me about 2 months ago. Used my forearm as a brake pad on the trail. 60 stitches later, I now wear elbow/forearm pads.

    Heal fast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Get yourself a set of kneepads, Michael. You know I like a man who looks good in kneepads.


    All joking aside, I thought I gave you a set of knee/shin pads. If you don't have them, I don't have a clue who does...



    miles

    Nope, I never got them. I just owe you money for other bike parts! ;-)

    Michael

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    140

    Cool-blue Rhythm pads only helped some...

    Yep I did a similar crash stop using my right knee as the brake on Noble several months ago. A nice rocky steep down...and I'd been doing so well ! !

    I was wearing a set of lightweight Fox knee and shin guards. The guard has a thick dense pad about 2 inches high above the hard plastic knee cover and unfortunately the pointy rock I landed on was just above the plastic part.

    So it tore a hole right through the padding and went into my knee making a pretty deep gaping cut that bled a mess.

    It would have been a LOT worse without the pad, but better if I'd hit the plastic. I cinch the guards more tightly now so they won't slip down....

    Watch out for infection. A cut that deep is an invitation. And be sure your tetanus is up to date !

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    361
    Where is this trail? Glad you are healing up man.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    155

    Yo....

    I need some of that trail too!
    Eric

    "Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"

  29. #29
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearqueer
    I need some of that trail too!
    let me know and I can give you a tour sometime. it's in your neighborhood. it'd be a tough SS ride but you could do it.

    YR

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    361
    Where is this in San Diego?

  31. #31
    Green Mojo
    Reputation: bikerneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    215
    For the sake of those of us who ride this trail (daily), please DON"T disclose it's whereabouts! The neighbors already dislike the cars with bike racks.

    I would really hate to see it become overused and or ruined. It's great having a neighborhood trail. (I am spoiled and I admit it.)

    Please don't spoil it by disclosing where it is..... kind of like the Penasquitos Tunnel Trail.

    PS: This trail rocks.

    bikerneil

  32. #32
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    For the sake of those of us who ride this trail (daily), please DON"T disclose it's whereabouts! The neighbors already dislike the cars with bike racks.

    I would really hate to see it become overused and or ruined. It's great having a neighborhood trail. (I am spoiled and I admit it.)

    Please don't spoil it by disclosing where it is..... kind of like the Penasquitos Tunnel Trail.

    PS: This trail rocks.

    bikerneil
    This trail is a public trail and open for use by anybody. Taking this attitude makes you sound like a surfer who "owns" a break and no outsiders are allowed. The PQ tunnel trail was on private property at the time it was created and technically not legally accessible by anybody. we were lucky enough to have access to it while we did. Besides, we haven't lost access to the tunnel trails, just the stunts that were on them. Flightline, too, was on private property. we weren't supposed to be there in the first place.

    This trail is not like that. It's legal and available. It's also not "hidden" or "underground" I found out about it from an SDMBA e-mail for trail work. There's even trail signs at all access points (not just the one in the housing development) showing the way around.

    I understand the issues with the homeowners but the trail is there for all to use, not just those that live next to it.

    YR
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 11-17-2007 at 09:08 AM.

  33. #33
    Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Reputation: Da-Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    This trail is a public trail and open for use by anybody. Taking this attitude makes you sound like a surfer who "owns" a break and no outsiders are allowed. The PQ tunnel trail was on private property at the time it was created and technically not legally accessible by anybody. we were lucky enough to have access to it while we did. Besides, we haven't lost access to the tunnel trails, just the stunts that were on them. Flightline, too, was on private property. we weren't supposed to be there in the first place.

    This trail is not like that. It's legal and available. It's also not "hidden" or "underground" I found out about it from an SDMBA e-mail for trail work. There's even trail signs at all access points (not just the one in the housing development) showing the way around.

    I understand the issues with the homeowners but the trail is there for all to use, not just those that live next to it.

    YR
    Nicely said Yeti.

  34. #34
    Green Mojo
    Reputation: bikerneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    215
    I hear what you are saying, however...... we'll see how you feel when the trail is shut down because it's overridden and all the local homeowners go to City Council meetings and raise he ll. I was out this morning and noticed that one more section was closed down, and one trail sign had been changed to NO Bikes.

    Good luck. Let's enjoy it while we can! Get better fast, see you on the trail.
    Last edited by bikerneil; 11-17-2007 at 04:49 PM.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,880
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I hear what you are saying, however...... we'll see how you feel when the trail is shut down because it's overridden and all the local homeowners go to City Council meetings and raise he ll. I was out this morning and noticed that one more section was closed down, and one trail sign had been changed to NO Bikes.

    Good luck. Let's enjoy it while we can! Get better fast, see you on the trail.
    Dude, he used the wrong name for the trail misdirecting people to discovery hills, what more do you want?

    kf (the original name for Lc before the yuppies moved in) is listed on this board in the trail review section. And STR lead a couple of groups on the trails this last summer. Locally we lose more trails to houses and industrial parks than biker misdeeds, i guess technically we do lose trails to homeowners as they build their house on top of the trails.

  36. #36
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I hear what you are saying, however...... we'll see how you feel when the trail is shut down because it's overridden and all the local homeowners go to City Council meetings and raise he ll. I was out this morning and noticed that one more section was closed down, and one trail sign had been changed to NO Bikes.

    Good luck. Let's enjoy it while we can! Get better fast, see you on the trail.
    this is an entirely separate issue that must be addressed. not getting vocal about our access rights to existing trails must be done with government. Not hiding a trail from use so we can just fly under the radar. If we lose the trail because the neighbors go to the City Council then it's our own fault for not joining the advocacy groups that keep trails open. if we sit on our @ss's and do nothing, trails will get closed. If we join the groups, we get access. Just look at PQ. All of the North Side Single Track and much of the ST north of the creek was officially closed to bikers until EBasil and the PQ trails advisory council got involved and got the rangers to open it up and more importantly, keep it open. without them, nothing would have changed.

    The biking community also isn't that large that word isn't going to get out to those that are interested. I introduced the trail to two people I work with. i could introduce it to even more on an e-mail list I'm on. those people can then in turn introduce it to others. and so on......

    Have you introduced it to anybody or do you always ride it solo? It's not like it's hard to find if you really seek it out. He.l.l., how many people knew about Taffy's trail to drop into Flightline next to the police station? Everybody?



    YR
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 11-17-2007 at 07:49 PM.

  37. #37
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Hate to open up a pandora's box, but here goes....

    Spoke with several homeowners around there and they really don't mind the trails. They pretty much realize that the trails were there long before their homes were built. Parking always has been an issue. I know my racked car is ugly!

    SDMBA is very involved in this area, and I encourage everyone to join SDMBA. We need numbers!

    What's ruining it for the MTB community regarding these particular "legal" trails, is the hikers and riders who cut switchbacks and closed sections.

    I know for a fact that the land managers will close it if the "trail cutting" continues!
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-26-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  38. #38
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    What's ruining it for the MTB community regarding these particular "legal" trails, is the riders who cut switchbacks and closed sections.

    I know for a fact that the land managers will close it if the "trail cutting" continues!

    Yep. I never understood cutting a trail. I mean, what's the point? to get to the bottom faster? what's it save. Like a second? Yeah, I know it's because some ahole is racing his buddy and he has to cut the trail because he lacks the skill to actually pass him somewhere else but sheesh. Ride the trail, don't make new ones!

    YR

  39. #39
    Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Reputation: Da-Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    236
    I was fortunate enough to be introduced to this trail a while back by a member on this forum, I have never ridden with him, and he shared his knowledge, thanks, you know who you are. I in turn have taken a friend of mine to this trail, he is quite glad I did. As soon as my wife gets the O.K. from her doctor..which will be in January, I will be sharing the trail with her, and she with her other riding partners. Sharing the trail with other riders makes great sense, and like it was stated before, this isn't an underground trail, it's quite legit. I just wonder how much more illegal trails would be ridden, created and promoted on sites if nobody actually shared the legal trails that were available to all. Lets ride, and stay vocal.
    Yeti, get well soon.

  40. #40
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    [QUOTE=Mudd] I know my racked car is ugly!

    /QUOTE]

    boy you aren't kidding! :-) :-) :-)

    the pain made me do it!

    actually, the leg is feeling pretty darn good. I have to keep it immobilized for another week! #$%^&*^%^$$ but there's not a lot of pain, just discomfort.

    I'm actually more sore not from wearing the brace and having to walk/move funny since I can't bend the damn thing!

    YR

  41. #41
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924

    ... and if we just ...

    [QUOTE=Yeti_Rider]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I know my racked car is ugly!

    /QUOTE]

    boy you aren't kidding! :-) :-) :-)

    YR

    Don't diss the shuttlecraft!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  42. #42
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    [quote=Mudd]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider


    Don't diss the shuttlecraft!
    Not too far from a Honda civic hatchback. They almost had it right.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

    There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14



  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    So, I wasn't able to ride this weekend but I wanted to get out twice this week at work for lunch. I have been doing Discovery Hills at least once and often twice each week at work during lunch. The ride is short, it takes just about an hour and is only 6-8 miles total.......yawn....blah, blah, blah,....yawn....
    Michael
    If you know Mike like I do....he's made up some whopper stories in his day, but this has to be the best so far (and the Oscar goes to....). That photoshop class has really paid dividends!

    He, Miles, and Bill faked Miles' crash, too. They filmed it - not in Carrizo Gorge - in the same backlot as the Moon landing!

  44. #44
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    If you know Mike like I do....he's made up some whopper stories in his day, but this has to be the best so far (and the Oscar goes to....). That photoshop class has really paid dividends!

    He, Miles, and Bill faked Miles' crash, too. They filmed it - not in Carrizo Gorge - in the same backlot as the Moon landing!
    That'd be true if I was actually on the Carrizo Gorge ride. I was at Disneyland that day and was quite upset about it!

    YR

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    That'd be true if I was actually on the Carrizo Gorge ride. I was at Disneyland that day and was quite upset about it!

    YR
    C'mon...we all know that was your 'unbeknownst to the world until know' twin brother...you can think up a better alibi than that....something a little more award-winning...

    We, with the help of our 'friends' at the NSA and a certain hollywood director, will complete the digital and audio enhancement of that "shakey" footage soon....we all have suspected you were the second lensman behind that cactussy rock!

  46. #46
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-19-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  47. #47
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650
    Hmmm... I thought my ears were burnng. Somebody was talking about me.

    The government investigated, and the Sorenson Commission has concluded that there was only one camerman at the scene and I wasn't actually pushed, as some have speculated.


    miles
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (109.0 KB, 181 views)
    It's 7:09 California time

  48. #48
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Hmmm... I thought my ears were burnng. Somebody was talking about me.

    The government investigated, and the Sorenson Commission has concluded that there was only one camerman at the scene and I wasn't actually pushed, as some have speculated.


    miles
    Right Miles! BTW: Who was that guy spotted in the grassy knoll?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  49. #49
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    So Mike, you all healed up yet?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  50. #50
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    So Mike, you all healed up yet?
    Got the stitches out Tuesday. Bent the knee. Hurts like a mother!

    I figure it's going to be several weeks minimum before I can even think about riding. I'm hoping I can start again by the end of December but we'll see.

    The wound right now is healed closed but it probably wouldn't take too much to open it up again so I have to be careful of that.

    On another note, I've got the bike stripped down to the frame right now and will be building it back up in the next week or so. The Float RLC is in a box and heading to Push tomorrow for a rebuild. New front Derailleur will be purchased next week and everything will be put back on the bike with new cables soon.

    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •