mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Ten Year Old Problem!

No, I haven't had the problem ten years. I've got a son turning ten and refuse to have the same ol' same ol' bday party for him and his friends. These protected little monsters need to get out more, way out more, as I did. So I could use some help.

First, no laser tag Chuckie Cheese Mr. Wacky Science nonsense bday party. I want to take them for a mountain bike ride. Ten of them. They will not be experienced. I live in Studio City CA and was looking for some help finding a great trail to challenge and exhaust them. All will have mountain bikes far beyond their ability and helmets.

Two. Nobody listens to dad. So I'd hire someone experienced for a reasonable fee to lead us on this journey and teach them a quick trick or two. If you can jump like a maniac, that would be great because then they'd oooh and ahh and realize there is something more exciting in life then playing video games.

You don't have to promise that all ten kids we leave with return -- although most of their mothers would appreciate them returning for their 11th birthday.

Suggestions? Volunteers? Should I just hire a clown and call it a day? All help is appreciated. THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    try Joe Lawill from bike skills. HEs awsome. Ive helped him do a clinic before. He can jump like crazy :-)
    Bikeskills.com
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

Glad to Be Alive
    camp at Sycamore canyon.......you have the beach and Mountain biking there....if you post dates I am sure a few people would show up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Cheers for trying an alternative birthday party. However, the first thing you need to remember is it's your son's birthday. Make sure you do something he wants to do. Cool if he digs riding! And better if all his buddies want to go riding.

But if they don't, my suggestion is bowling - but leave the quarters for the video games they have at the bowling alley home and keep them on the lanes. My 11 year old really digs bowling birthday parties.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That's a great idea IF they want to do it! Try checking with your son's best friend first -- if he thinks it's cool your son is more apt to. Very smart to have someone else do the teaching -- it might make it easier for your son. Do NOT pick terrain that's too hard! Bring good refreshments.
    And if they don't want to do it, go with the flow. It's your son's birthday, not yours. I have raised several kids and taken them all mountain biking and rock climbing, but none of them really took to it like I'd hoped. But that's OK -- they are their own people. I hope the kids do want to do it, and that you have a really good time. But if they don't want to...well, it was a nice idea...

mtbr member
    Malibu Creek State Park = easy terrain with quick bailout points for the kids that get tired of it.

you could probably contact Mark Langton, he runs the mtb skills classes for corba and does privates, and is a nice guy. his contact info can be found here:
    http://www.corbamtb.com/website/html...mtbskills.html

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Point Mugu State Park a.k.a. Sycamore Canyon. Wide variety of trails available if it turns out the lil' boogers can actually ride something more serious than the Valley Trail. There's a few water spigots on the route and you'll wear their boney behinds out if you care to.

It's just north of Malibu a few miles past Neptune's Net.

I took my daughter on a 31 mile Sycamore ride (her 1st real MTB epic ride on a Sears lead-pipe special) when she was nine. We dropped in from the Newbury Park side and had to climb the 'B**** B****' to come back out. It took her fifteen minutes for her to decide to try the first water crossing in Wood Canyon (about two feet across and maybe three inches deep ). After that it was "on". She fell asleep a few minutes into the ride home. Priceless.