Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Temecula (or surrounding) Mountain Bikers?

Hello to everyone! I have been mountain biking for some years, but just signed up here. I am looking for some people to hook up with and ride. I ride a loop through Meadow View every day and want to see some other stuff. I like a good challenge, but don't want to kill myself. I like a good climb and am pretty flexible. Shoot me a PM if you are near by!

Lord of the Chainrings
    I'm in Fallbrook. I always wanted to try to ride from the Shell station, (with the huge American flag), through the pass and alongside the Santa Margarita River toward Camp Pendleton. Anyone try that route?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mechmann_mtb
    we are in Murrieta (the wife and I) and ride every chance we get. This weekend we will be riding Santa Rosa Plateau 5pm today, Daley Ranch Saturday AM, Noble Canyon Sunday All Day, Lake Hodges (14miles, <1K ft)Monday Noon or so.

June 2 SRP (Santa Rosa Plateau) after work 6PM or so
    June 3 we will be doing a huge ride in Idyllwild (32+miles, 6K feet of climbing)
    camping in Hurkey Creek campground
    June 4 we will be doing a lap of the 24 hr course (hurkey creek)

June 9 SRP 6PM
    June 10 big ride, park at Bluejay, MDTT>Trabuco>Holy Jim>MDTT (21miles, 5200 ft)
    June 11 Daley Ranch AM (13 miles, 1900ft)

June 17 big ride, park at Trabuco Creek Rd, Holy Jim>MDTT>Joplin>STT>Luge (25miles, 5000ft)
    June 18 SRP

June 24 San Juan Trail (18miles, 3250ft)
    June 25 Daley Ranch

bigger rides might be a bit demanding, smaller rides are usually for recovery so we don't mind going slow.

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Santa Margarita River

I've always wanted to paddle that section of the Santa Margarita. I haven't been there, so I don't know if you would be able to ride down it when it's mostly a dry creek bed.

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0494/et0494s4.html

http://friendsoftheriver.org/Califor...Margarita.html

http://home.flash.net/~cfoster2/boat...la_canyon.html

Go explore and let us know how it is.

~Reed

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    we are in Murrieta (the wife and I) and ride every chance we get. This weekend we will be riding Santa Rosa Plateau 5pm today, Daley Ranch Saturday AM, Noble Canyon Sunday All Day, Lake Hodges (14miles, <1K ft)Monday Noon or so.

June 2 SRP (Santa Rosa Plateau) after work 6PM or so
    June 3 we will be doing a huge ride in Idyllwild (32+miles, 6K feet of climbing)
    camping in Hurkey Creek campground
    June 4 we will be doing a lap of the 24 hr course (hurkey creek)

June 9 SRP 6PM
    June 10 big ride, park at Bluejay, MDTT>Trabuco>Holy Jim>MDTT (21miles, 5200 ft)
    June 11 Daley Ranch AM (13 miles, 1900ft)

June 17 big ride, park at Trabuco Creek Rd, Holy Jim>MDTT>Joplin>STT>Luge (25miles, 5000ft)
    June 18 SRP

June 24 San Juan Trail (18miles, 3250ft)
    June 25 Daley Ranch

bigger rides might be a bit demanding, smaller rides are usually for recovery so we don't mind going slow.
    Where is Santa Rosa Plateau? I've done others on your list, sounds like you get out alot......thats great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracer516
    Where is Santa Rosa Plateau? I've done others on your list, sounds like you get out alot......thats great!
    We're training for our high elevation CO bike trip

Santa Rosa Plateau is off of Clinton Keith (off 15) to the West. If you take Clinton Keith west off the freeway you'll hit the Plateau (after passing Bear Creek and climbing the hill). We do about an 8 mile out-and-back/loop. Nothing too technical or strenuous, but it's fun and last year when we rode after work there was always a lot of wildlife, which is fun to see.

Also check out http://www.geoladders.com as it has tons of So Cal trails and GPS directions.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    We're training for our high elevation CO bike trip

Santa Rosa Plateau is off of Clinton Keith (off 15) to the West. If you take Clinton Keith west off the freeway you'll hit the Plateau (after passing Bear Creek and climbing the hill). We do about an 8 mile out-and-back/loop. Nothing too technical or strenuous, but it's fun and last year when we rode after work there was always a lot of wildlife, which is fun to see.

Also check out http://www.geoladders.com as it has tons of So Cal trails and GPS directions.
    I was out there yesterday for work. this is off of Tenaja road? I was wondering if it was MTB friendly. it sure seemed equine friendly from what i saw.

mtbr member

Temecula Area Rides

There some other great riding areas around Temecula. Check out Vail Lake resort which is ot on the south 79. They use to charge $10 to ride out there but lowered the price to $5. There are tons of trails out there and new stuff being built on a weekly basis. There are also several race series that go on out at Vail lake. If you check out Geoladders.com or www.12hrsoftemecula.com you can print off some maps and directions. Another great place which is not to faraway is simpson park in Hemet. I would say some of the best maintained singletrack in Riverside county. Beautiful and buff!
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

mtbr member
    Saw this late but we are riding Saturday morning at 8:00 am. Haven't decided exactly where yet -- either Hurkey Creek, Simpson/Transcon/Pachea, or Santa Rosa. If there is any last minute interest I will check messages and e-mail before we head out.

P.S. anyone know if Superman is open yet?

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005

Superman...

superman is not open, but a few months ago some trail gnomes started giving it some love. its a really fun trail. Props to you if you can clean it.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I'm in Fallbrook. I always wanted to try to ride from the Shell station, (with the huge American flag), through the pass and alongside the Santa Margarita River toward Camp Pendleton. Anyone try that route?
    I hiked it recently--cuz it's all private property

It is owned by San Diego State University and used as a research station and is off limits to any visitors 363 days a year. Twice a year, they have it open to the public and docents lead hiking groups from the southern tip of the private property (northern tip of Fallbrook) all the way up to the gorge that is on the northern edge of the private property (southern edge of Riverside county). IMHO, it isn't worth it to ride it. It's mostly fireroads that go up and down over and over. I imagine the total elevation gain would be outrageous.

As far as I know, it is the only trail that connects Temecula to the SMRT trails in Fallbrook. It could still be done--there are 2 privately owned houses right in the middle of the SDSU preserve area, and those residents access their land by driving on the fireroad that makes up the majority of the trail. So I'm not 100% sure if you would still be trespassing or not. My guess is that you would be, but there are no rangers or anyone patrolling to enforce it.

I have figured out a direct path, so PM me if you really want to ride it and I can send you Google Earth photos showing the trail with directions.

I have been riding the Fallbrook trails for over 2 years now and have some good knowledge of them, as well as the entire trail system mapped out on GPS. Shoot me a message if you want directions or tips. Or, I'll show you myself if you want to hook up for a ride.

Here's a GPS shot of the route I took when I hiked the SDSU private property
    Last edited by DSDuke; 12-26-2006 at 05:52 PM.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albacore
    Saw this late but we are riding Saturday morning at 8:00 am. Haven't decided exactly where yet -- either Hurkey Creek, Simpson/Transcon/Pachea, or Santa Rosa. If there is any last minute interest I will check messages and e-mail before we head out.

P.S. anyone know if Superman is open yet?
    Some friends and I are riding Simpson tomorrow afternoon. I just got a Haro X7 and can't wait to try it out there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    Some friends and I are riding Simpson tomorrow afternoon. I just got a Haro X7 and can't wait to try it out there.
    A guy at Santa Rosa told me about Simpson yesterday, where is it and what time are you riding? I might tag along if ok?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A guy at Santa Rosa told me about Simpson yesterday, where is it and what time are you riding? I might tag along if ok?

Sorry, after nearly colliding w/ you, I should have introduced myself.
    Hi, I'm Brian.
    Check out Geoladders.com-- they just added some routes out at Simpson Park. I'd like to get out there in the next couple of weeks. I only ride there once a year or so but want to start ramping that up because it's full of fun trails.

If you're interested in N. County, hit me up. I'd be happy to take you around Daley (good climbing w/ some fun single tracks), Hodges (easy cruising w/ some MINOR tech sections) or Flightline which I'm starting to ride again after a few years away (LOTS of tech).
    PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdoo
    Sorry, after nearly colliding w/ you, I should have introduced myself.
    Hi, I'm Brian.
    Check out Geoladders.com-- they just added some routes out at Simpson Park. I'd like to get out there in the next couple of weeks. I only ride there once a year or so but want to start ramping that up because it's full of fun trails.

If you're interested in N. County, hit me up. I'd be happy to take you around Daley (good climbing w/ some fun single tracks), Hodges (easy cruising w/ some MINOR tech sections) or Flightline which I'm starting to ride again after a few years away (LOTS of tech).
    PM me.
    Hey Brian,

Are you the guy that I almost had a head on with in that single track area? Well, I should have introduced myself as well........my name is Kipp, nice to meet you! I am pretty much game for anything, I do like to get a good climb in when I ride for the excersise, but I am not scared of much and if it is too much, I just don't attempt it. A good challenge is always cool in my book. Let me know when you are riding, I would love to tag along. PM me here or email me at roadracer516@adelphia.net. Thanks Brian!

Kipp

"Its All Good"
    Hey Brian,

Are you the guy that I almost had a head on with in that single track area? Well, I should have introduced myself as well........my name is Kipp, nice to meet you! I am pretty much game for anything, I do like to get a good climb in when I ride for the excersise, but I am not scared of much and if it is too much, I just don't attempt it. A good challenge is always cool in my book. Let me know when you are riding, I would love to tag along. PM me here or email me at roadracer516@adelphia.net. Thanks Brian!

Kipp
    Is that road bike Kipp, Kipp if thats the Kipp I met, I am Whafe on here but Fenton for real.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Is that road bike Kipp, Kipp if thats the Kipp I met, I am Whafe on here but Fenton for real.
    Road bike Kipp? I do not ride on the road, but I can't believe you may have met another Kipp, that is pretty rare. Anyway Fenton, I don't think that we have met before,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Road bike Kipp? I do not ride on the road, but I can't believe you may have met another Kipp, that is pretty rare. Anyway Fenton, I don't think that we have met before.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by RANOACLAN
    There some other great riding areas around Temecula. Check out Vail Lake resort which is ot on the south 79. They use to charge $10 to ride out there but lowered the price to $5.
    When did they lower it? I was there on 5/16 at 5:20 in the morning, and the kid in the shack charged me $10. When I left at around 9, there wasn't even anybody in the shack. I was pissed. $10! Well, I did shower after doing my two laps though.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Santa Margarita River

Quote Originally Posted by Reedster
    I've always wanted to paddle that section of the Santa Margarita. I haven't been there, so I don't know if you would be able to ride down it when it's mostly a dry creek bed.

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0494/et0494s4.html

http://friendsoftheriver.org/Califor...Margarita.html

http://home.flash.net/~cfoster2/boat...la_canyon.html

Go explore and let us know how it is.

~Reed
    This is an amazing run if you can catch it at the right flow. You won't believe you are only 45 minutes from San Diego or Riverside. Beautiful bedrock rapids, spectacular granite gorge, sidecreek waterfalls emptying straight into the river, etc. Don't recall seeing any obvious mountain biking opportunities in the gorge itself, but then I wasn't looking.

-Keith Richards-Dinger

Ya, right.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you. I'm not getting the email alerts that a reply has been posted. Don't know what's up with that

mtbr member

Vail Lake fees

The fees out at Vail Lake changed to $5 about a week ago. Local groups and promoters got together with Vail and madde it happen. Specifically Robert Herber. He is the man out at Vail Lake. Some of the emplyees may not have got the word but it should be posted at the front shack and at the office now. By the way there is a brand new 1.5 mile singletrack that has been built last week. It starts at the end of the Tunnel of Love. CVheck it out if you get a chance. Of course we are still working it but its pretty nice already!
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

over researcher
    Thanks for the headsup Ranoclan. As soon as this PO wears off, I'll check out the new trail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SlowSSer --- you asked about SRP. That's where I like riding my SS. nice meadows and single track with two track that hooks it up. It's fun on the SS's not much work, but it's a nice place to see and ride. I ride mine out there when I ride with the kids and wife. Unless my wife is in the mood of whipping me to a pulp, which is not hard to do. Then I breakout some gears. I ride sometimes from the Fallbrook side (Teneja Truck Trail/Teneja Rd.) up and get a lap or so in, but not on the SS. Maybe one day I’ll give that a go, then again I’m a fat old guy. I’ll stick to driving over. If other SS’s ride the RSP let us know.

As for the SMRT, it’s sand and more sand, and I see where they don’t even note biking as a trail option anymore. Willow Glen/red mountain’s still a ride lots of rocks though.
    Last edited by dingoe; 05-30-2006 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member

Simpson park

I like Simpson Park its fun. I have been out there a few times now its close to me I live by the french valley Airport.
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast