Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Temecula mabye

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  scjohn 
#1 ·
thinking of moving the family to Temecula, can anyone tell me how the Freeride/ DH trails are out there, and what the weather is like.

#2 ·
If your moving to the Temecula area and looking for some riding possibilities, I would recommend looking to move somewhere else. There are some limited XC type terrain close by, Vail Lake and the Santa Rosa Plateau, but not much else, especially in the way of freeride/ DH. There are trails within an hour or so drive that fit the bill.
I moved down here 4 years ago, have been very dissapointed with the riding I've been do more road riding, then off road riding since Ive been here....moving back up to Big Bear Lake in the near future though, they have some of best So Cal riding up there.

#3 ·
Deadmecula isn't the best place for anything really except really hot summers. :)

There are some dirt jumps around here and there, and some trails, but nothing that great. If I didn't have to work for a living, and wasn't strapped to a $100k hole in the ground, i wouldn't be living here! :)

#4 ·
sounds real fun, i grew up in so cal, but cant move back there, i cant afford it, I was looking at moiving my 2 kids and wife back to California, and Temecula looked nice and the prices on the houses were pretty good to. how hot??? I see there is hills there, wonder why noone has built DH stuff. is the forest service that strict????

#5 ·
AZrider44 said:
sounds real fun, i grew up in so cal, but cant move back there, i cant afford it, I was looking at moiving my 2 kids and wife back to California, and Temecula looked nice and the prices on the houses were pretty good to. how hot??? I see there is hills there, wonder why noone has built DH stuff. is the forest service that strict????
Forest service, land owners, and also due to liability issues. There are trails that aren't exactly legal out there within 25-60 minutes, and SRC hosts downhill races.

Anywhere from 85-105F usually in summers. We get colder in winter and hotter in summer than OC or San Diego. Home prices are less. We have somewhat less traffic as well, and what we do have is usually from people commuting to/from OC/SD for jobs as mostly what is here is smaller business (less pay) or customer service oriented.

I grew up in the area and it's where we could afford to buy after college. Usually now I just wish I'd listened to hubby and moved to CO 4 or so years ago :)

#6 ·
i like less trafic, where I live now when I moved here there was not a single DH trail here, and now people travel here just to ride them. I am bringing my own business, so job is not an issue, how are the schools, are there any private schools that are worth anything for my kids??

#7 ·
Yo check out Simi Valley or Santa Clarita Valley about 35 miles north of LA.

Simi has a ton of XC and AM riding and some local DH stuff. Also some mtb stuff nearby thousand oaks and your half an hour from beach in Ventura

Santa Clarita also has a decent amount of xc/am stuff with some secret sauce DH stuff around, about 1 hour from ventura beaches, 1 hour from desert, 4 hours from mammoth

prices down on housing so $400k can get you a solid 4 bedroom house now. A little hot on summer mostly July and August, but cooler riding in the mountains north up the 5 an hour and the beach areas.

PM me if ya want more details, I know some DH guys and possible can hook ya up.

#8 ·
AZrider44 said:
i like less trafic, where I live now when I moved here there was not a single DH trail here, and now people travel here just to ride them. I am bringing my own business, so job is not an issue, how are the schools, are there any private schools that are worth anything for my kids??
There are a few private schools (Linfield Christian, Van Avery/Hillcrest) and I'm sure the public schools are decent still. I haven't been in a few years :p

If you have no problems traveling a bit to ride then maybe it is the place for you!

#10 ·
Temecula is a great place to live for a family. Clean, safe, still has a small town feel, surrounded by mountains, wine country, old town, good schools, etc, etc.. Tons of XC riding within a short drive. Like it was already mentioned, a little colder in the winter and a bit hotter in the summer, but since your coming from AZ it will be cooler to you.

#11 ·
thanks to everyone that has posted on here, between that and all the private messages I got, I am definetley going to check out Temecula, its sounds nice, clean, good schools, and super fun trails, ill be there in 9 days, taking the family to Disneyland, anyone no a good hotel???

#12 ·
I would like to know where the tons of XC trails are within short drive are?. maybe Im missing something. I have lived here for 4 years and I have'nt found them yet. There are pockets within the sub-divisions ever so often, but nothing to make this a destination bike town or even bike friendly. Vail Lake, the Farm and the Santa Rosa Plateau are within 30 minutes, but those places are very limiting.
If you head down towards SD, you have Calavera, Rancho Penisquitos, Mission Trails and Daley Ranchand others that have some good riding.
What attracted me to this area was the good schools, clean air, it is relatively safe and the surrounding hills. What made me hate it is the hills are mostly in private property, the people are not overly nice , not really bike friendly residents, tons of conservetive, right wingers, equestrians ( some are ok) and the traffic....Oh, I forgot the extremely hot, windy summers. Im done with this area, moving back up th the mountains shortly!

#13 ·
thats what I am looking for , good schools, clean air, semi close to the ocean, and at least one DH track to train on, as I travel during the summer, and dont mind traveling around socal to ride.

#14 ·
Hi Jeff, when I say short drive I'm talking 30 minutes for some, up to 1 hour for others. Hurkey, Palomar, Vail Lake Hodges, Simpson Park, San Juan Trail, Indian Truck Trail, Holy Jim, Sycamore canyon, to name a few. Have you seen Geoladders.com? Lot's of local stuff scouted out on there.

If you're on Facebook, look up the Meadow View Mountain Goats. We ride every sunday, sometimes local Temecula trails, and sometimes a 30min to 1hr drive. It's a great group of people. Tomorrow we are riding Vail at 7:30am meeting at the Merlot campground, come out and join us if you can.

#15 ·
Maybe Im was being a little harsh. I do know of the riding areas you suggested. Palomar Mouuntain I only know of the road riding and Sycamore Canyon, although I heard good reveiws have never ridden there..but would like to.
If I can get my rear brake fixed, I'll try to make it. What kind of rides do you do? I mostly ride single speed, like rides longer, 20+ miles, usually at a brisk pace.
Although I have tried finding riding groups offroad, I have been unsuccesful, found road groups and riders on a regular basis and have ridden with those groups quite a bit.

I"ll look up the group on Facebook....thanks!

#16 ·
We moved to Temecula in 87 becuase I could not afford to buy in OC where I grew up. Have enjoyed life here ever since, even as the town grew from 12K to over 100K.

In temecula there are three dirt jump tracks that I know of, a freeride/downhill shuttle hill on the south side of town a super D course at Vail and tons of XC riding to the north, south, east and west of town. within 40 minutes there are all the places Matt in Temecula mentioned and more that he has not. There is good road riding, good XC training trails right smack in the middle of town and in wine country there are good opportunnities for mild XC and mixed road riding.

In the summer it can get warm but an ocean breeze picks up every afternoon around 2 and on all but the hottest heat waves(1-3 weeks of the year) it cools down nicely at night.

I am in sales and work from home 2-3 days per week and travel to OC, LA and San Diego the other days when I am not out of state and if you can plan your appointments you can easily avoid heavy traffic.

The schools are excellent, there are too many private schoools to list and one of the best charter schools in the country, great restaurants, fun bars in old town, a nice theatre and the city is flush with cash and well run. Oh and there are massive and beautiful city sports parks, tons of smaller community parks that are clean and well maintained and several good churches(big and small) There is a good cycling community, both mountain and road. the cast a shadow group castashadow.org is awesome, I have heard the mountain goats are a fun group, several of the local shops have scheduled road rides; there are plenty of opportunities to ride varried terrain.

If you want to visit I would be happy to show you around and take you out on a ride or two.

John

#17 ·
Forgot to mention, if you like fihing, Diamond Valley Lake and Lake skinner have great bass fishing,some of the best in the western US, I recently learned to fly fish at Vail Lake. There are too many golf courses to list and the views from the mountains around town are spectacular, after 20 years of riding here I still marvel at the views form the La Cresta area and from Palomar. Check out mountainbikebill.com, under the North San Diego rides you will find High Point Truck Trail/Palomar Divide road, Tenaja Truck Trail and Santa Margarita River Trail, all have trail heads within 15 minutes of town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.