mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Temecula Area Riding

New to the biking world. got myself a stumpjumper fsr comp 29er. just wanted to know where a beginner could go riding? in the temecula, murrieta area. thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    there are a few good places out there. Ive only ridden vail lake trails. A good resource that I use to find good trails is strava and just explore what trails are out there. I am a new rider as well but its helped me alot!
    2012 Trek Cobia stock Ardent 2.4 front 2.25 rear!
    Navy combat vet proud to be on a bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A good beginner trail is Santa Rosa Plateau.

mtbr member
    Lake Hodges isn't very far South of Temecula, San Juan is up the hill from Elsinore but a bit more advanced than the others, Santa Rosa Plateau is close and fun. My favorite place in the IE with beginner level trails is Sycamore in Riverside; take the 215 North then West off Alesandro and turn right and park on the street by the water plant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A few of my favorites are
    Meadowview (especially Del Ray Climb and Goat Trail) which I think are on Strava
    Yellow Ribbon (on Strava for sure, by French Valley Airport)
    Bromecula (awesome hillclimb, on Strava for sure, near Yellow Ribbon)

They're great to chain together, starting through Meadowview from Calle Pina Colada, do some courses around there that look interesting (might I suggest Goat Trail again?) then go through a few sets of gates to eventually reach Enfield Lane, a short road which feeds into Calle Medusa. Turn left onto Calle Medusa, bravely face the awful, gigantic hill, then at the bottom turn left onto Nicholas Road. If you don't brake down the hill, keep an eye out for cars (people LOVE to ignore that stop sign and at the speed you're going hitting a car isn't something you'll easily walk away from). At the bottom, turn left onto Nicholas and follow it until a right on Joseph. Follow Joseph until you can turn right at Seraphina. The road name changes to Rita, keep following it. Follow it until a left on Evian Drive, then right onto Willows. Cross Murrietta Hot Springs and stay on Willows. This is another place car drivers don't really pay attention, so keep an eye out. Follow Willows until a right onto Central Park Drive. Follow Central Park until the end, it is a cult de sac (spelling?). You'll see a side road on the left that leads to a water tower. Start up there, around the gate, and up to a sign and a plaque. Behind that sign is the trail start, follow it around then turn right onto the ascent trail (it's kinda hard to miss, if you reach the water tower go back down slowly and watch out for the trail). From there you pretty much have only one way to go up. Follow it until you reach the Upper Peak. THis is a good spot for pictures, but not the break spot. Follow a short road to the Lower Peak. This has a VERY scenic view and makes an awesome spot to rest your legs, take a breather and regroup. When you're ready, climb up a small hill, it's the only uphill trail, and take the downhill section. It's not intense, but a few rock gardens do offer some challenge. Once you've taken the course down, you'll find yourself once again on Central Park Drive. At this point, you'll probably have more than enough riding for one day, but if you still want to keep going, GPS Technology Drive. There's a bunch of ways to get there and I dont have the streets memorized (sorry) but follow that to Borel, take the first right on Borel Road (dirt path) follow it through, follow that dirt road until the end, turn right and go through the gate (or climb it if it's closed), go to the top of that hill, walk around the fence surrounding a water tower, ride down that hill and use Strava to find a Yellow Ribbon course that interests you. I think there are three trails up there, I've personally done two, and those are honestly some of my favorite non-downhill courses in SoCal.

Sorry for the long answer, but hopefully this helps you out!

(Btw dont know if i said this, but the second and third courses, off Borel and Central Point Drive, are by French Valley Airport, so you can use that as a reference)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There are a series of real nice trails above Glen Oaks on a combo of Riverside county open space and BLM land. old dirt roads and a few single track scattered thru. lots of nice loops to be done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Simpson park in Hemet.

mtbr member
    In keeping with your question about Temecula riding, I was wondering the same thing as I was to be there for a lunch visit with my Father.
    Rode Santa Rosa Plateau and found it to pretty nice. Nothing epic and a pretty easy stroll but it had it's moments to toss some fun into the mix. A Couple of very short climbs and lots of singletrack. There is a main, larger trail that had other folks on it but everyone was really chill, even the equestrians were very nice.
    I try to visit my dad a couple times per month since he's really up there in age but I'll be bringing the bike with me to hit this place up again. Nice Sunday morning ride before brunch
    Last edited by Dirtrider127; 04-22-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulanater View Post
    A few of my favorites are
    Meadowview (especially Del Ray Climb and Goat Trail) which I think are on Strava
    Yellow Ribbon (on Strava for sure, by French Valley Airport)
    Bromecula (awesome hillclimb, on Strava for sure, near Yellow Ribbon)

They're great to chain together, starting through Meadowview from Calle Pina Colada, do some courses around there that look interesting (might I suggest Goat Trail again?) then go through a few sets of gates to eventually reach Enfield Lane, a short road which feeds into Calle Medusa. Turn left onto Calle Medusa, bravely face the awful, gigantic hill, then at the bottom turn left onto Nicholas Road. If you don't brake down the hill, keep an eye out for cars (people LOVE to ignore that stop sign and at the speed you're going hitting a car isn't something you'll easily walk away from). At the bottom, turn left onto Nicholas and follow it until a right on Joseph. Follow Joseph until you can turn right at Seraphina. The road name changes to Rita, keep following it. Follow it until a left on Evian Drive, then right onto Willows. Cross Murrietta Hot Springs and stay on Willows. This is another place car drivers don't really pay attention, so keep an eye out. Follow Willows until a right onto Central Park Drive. Follow Central Park until the end, it is a cult de sac (spelling?). You'll see a side road on the left that leads to a water tower. Start up there, around the gate, and up to a sign and a plaque. Behind that sign is the trail start, follow it around then turn right onto the ascent trail (it's kinda hard to miss, if you reach the water tower go back down slowly and watch out for the trail). From there you pretty much have only one way to go up. Follow it until you reach the Upper Peak. THis is a good spot for pictures, but not the break spot. Follow a short road to the Lower Peak. This has a VERY scenic view and makes an awesome spot to rest your legs, take a breather and regroup. When you're ready, climb up a small hill, it's the only uphill trail, and take the downhill section. It's not intense, but a few rock gardens do offer some challenge. Once you've taken the course down, you'll find yourself once again on Central Park Drive. At this point, you'll probably have more than enough riding for one day, but if you still want to keep going, GPS Technology Drive. There's a bunch of ways to get there and I dont have the streets memorized (sorry) but follow that to Borel, take the first right on Borel Road (dirt path) follow it through, follow that dirt road until the end, turn right and go through the gate (or climb it if it's closed), go to the top of that hill, walk around the fence surrounding a water tower, ride down that hill and use Strava to find a Yellow Ribbon course that interests you. I think there are three trails up there, I've personally done two, and those are honestly some of my favorite non-downhill courses in SoCal.

Sorry for the long answer, but hopefully this helps you out!

(Btw dont know if i said this, but the second and third courses, off Borel and Central Point Drive, are by French Valley Airport, so you can use that as a reference)

awesome man! lots of info. i was wondering about the one by French Valley Airport. i think Jax bike center rides there on sundays. i was going to go with them but couldnt' make it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Santa Rosa Plateau is always a good ride for beginners. As mentioned, there are lots of fun trails near French Valley Airport in the Canyon. I ride that all the time myself. On the other side of Winchester you also have the Hogbacks. A bunch of trails in the open land just west of Winchester at the base of those three hills you see with the house on top. A really good group to get hooked up with for riding in Temecula are the Meadowview Mountain Goats. They do a no drop ride every Tuesday at 5:30pm. they rotate between the Canyon and Hogbacks. Here is a link to their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/142572105909769/

Jay

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybcycle View Post
    Santa Rosa Plateau is always a good ride for beginners. As mentioned, there are lots of fun trails near French Valley Airport in the Canyon. I ride that all the time myself. On the other side of Winchester you also have the Hogbacks. A bunch of trails in the open land just west of Winchester at the base of those three hills you see with the house on top. A really good group to get hooked up with for riding in Temecula are the Meadowview Mountain Goats. They do a no drop ride every Tuesday at 5:30pm. they rotate between the Canyon and Hogbacks. Here is a link to their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/142572105909769/

Jay

awesome man. just requested to join group. hopefully i get accepted. hahaha. and also hopefully they do weekend rides!! thanks again.
    2013 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP 29ER.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, found this thread because I'm about to visit my aunt & uncle in Temecula & was looking for trails...does anybody know of a good local shop I can rent a bike & some gear from? I'm in Atlanta & do XC singletrack mostly, hoping to find some of the same while I'm in Temecula!

newb

Re: Temecula Area Riding

I live at the bottom of the hogbacks and coukd show you the loop if you'd like.

newb

Re: Temecula Area Riding

I dont think there is a shop that rents bikes close to Temecula

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I believe JAX bicycle center in murrieta rents bikes