mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Tehachapi/ Stallion springs area...

Me and a friend will be in the area this weekend and we're wondering if there are any trails to ride in that area. I searched and I didn't really come up with anything besides Woodward West camp. If no trails, then maybe just some fireroads or something close. Any help would be appreciated. We have an open window of time to ride from 3-6 pm on Saturday March 1st. We are both pretty much novice and just looking to kill a few hours. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stallion Springs riding

PPapa,

I was up there in for a few summers working at Woodward Camp and could not really locate any good single track. I was riding the jumps at the camp. But there is a long fire road ride that goes off the back of the mountains to the west of the Stallion Springs all the way down into the valley south of Bakersfield. I never rode the entire way down but it is probably 15 miles top to bottom. there are cattle gates and plenty of cattle and wildlife so it is kind of cool. It has been a while so I can't give you great directions to it. I used to park at the Woodward Lodge and you can ride down to the beginning from there. I am sure you could ask someone where the fire road is. When I was there and you mapquested directions to Stallion Springs from the North up the 5 it would actually give the directions on the dirt fire road. Pretty crappy directions for the parents going to drop there kids off in the Lexus or something.

Good luck.

BHow

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I didn't know exactly where I was staying in Stallion Springs for a Christian Men's Conference but I did have an address. When I pulled up and realized that we were staying at Woodward West I was amazed. That place is absolutely awesome. We couldn't ride the facilities but I did walk around and look at everything. HUGE is all I can say. We didn't ride Saturday either due to the cold and foggy weather. Had a great time there and if any of you ever get a chance to go there you'll be impressed I'm sure!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Woodward West

They do it right at the camps for sure. PA Woodward is even bigger, but it has been going since the 70's. Great place to send your kids for sure.

I wish there was more cross country riding off the camp grounds though. with all those hills, mountains, and space there really should be. Doesn't seem to be many riders in that area though.

Kernville is only an hour and a half from there. I used to go to the Cannell trail when i was staying in Tahachapi.

Hope you can ride around there next time.