Tom
    where are the roots?

Tehachapi Area Riding?

I just moved to Tehachapi and am looking for a place to ride. There are only six trails in my county (Kern) on the socal mtb site, and none of them are very close by. I totally realize there are folks that have to drive hours to ride, but there are some fairly nice mountains around here, I figured there must be some trails.

Anyone?

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I just moved to Tehachapi and am looking for a place to ride. There are only six trails in my county (Kern) on the socal mtb site, and none of them are very close by. I totally realize there are folks that have to drive hours to ride, but there are some fairly nice mountains around here, I figured there must be some trails.

Anyone?
    I know this isn't exactly the answer you want, but find a local bike shop and ask them. Like you said, theres gotta be some nice trails there, and they would be more than happy to direct you to them. I drove through there a couple months ago. the hills there are absolutely beautiful.

Hopefully, someone else can give you more info.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Tom
    where are the roots?
    DaFireMedic: thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there isn't a bicycle shop in Tehachapi, and the places I've been in Palmdale are all not really bicycle shops, they're sports stores that sell bicycles, so those folks weren't much help. I guess I should check Bakersfield next. I think part of the problem is that there is very little public land here, but I'm certain that there is some nice rancher somewhere that is letting people ride in the hills, I just need to find it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Where to ride?

I've ridden up the back side(NorthSide) of Angeles National Forest in San Garbiel Mountains. Not sure how far that is from Tehachapi. If you do hit it you've got Burkhart, Manzanita, Blueridge, Devils PunchBowl etc. I don't think these rides are 5 minutes away but they are worthy rides in my opinion.

I'll be riding up Devils Punchbowl this Saturday with a group of 10-12 doing a two day ride that'll go from the Palmdale side to the Pasadena side of the San Gabriels. We'll go up Burkhart and wiind up at Chilao camprground. 2nd day we'll be doing Alder Creek trail to Strawberry and then down the Gabrielino to Gould Mesa. Your welcome to join in part or all if you like. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hopfully helpful

I've lived in Lancaster for 16 yrs and have been mtb'ing for 13 and I have only ridden in Tehachapi once. It was a massive group shuttle organized by Insane Wayne Croasdale who also lives in the Antelope Valley area. About 50 riders started at Stallion Springs and ended up at the store in Keene along 58. I can't remember any more details since it was about 10 years ago. I do remember being cussed at by a rancher as we hopped a fence he was attempting to fix so private property is an issue in the area. As previously mentioned, there are some excellent trails on the north side of the San Gabriels from Wrightwood over to Charlton Flats. I'd add the Acorn Trail, Jackson Lake trail and the Silver Mocassin-Vetter mtn. trail. 5-Deer trail near Bouquet Res. is great and there are great Forest Service roads to ride in the Pine Canyon/Three points area which suffered the first major fire of last week.I also go to Mt.Pinos, Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead to get some cool rides. I even went up to Kennedy Meadows to do the Sherman Mountain trail a couple weeks ago. I bought a great book at Barnes and Noble in Palmdale called Southern Sierra Mountain Bike Trails by Jon Frank which describes trails from Bakersfield, Kernville, Kern Plateau to Camp nelson. The author lives in Bakersfield and I've e-mailed him to try to set up a ride but no response so far. You can order the book by calling 661-588-2426. I ride pretty much every weekend and one or two weekdays in the summer (I'm a teacher) so e-mail me if you want to set up a ride. There is a decent shop in Lancaster. Gil's Bike Shop is on 15th street west just north of AVE. K. Head south on 14, exit at K (you can see the back of the shop in the shopping center on the east side of the fwy. before you reach the K exit) turn left on K, then turn left on 15th. The shopping center is on the left after you pass the Goodyear tire store. It's a good mom and pop shop with typically high prices for parts but their service guys are great. Hope you find some good riding near your home. If you do or if you want to set up a ride, let me know.