mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ted Williams info

Hey all,

I need info on how to get to TW , I know where it is, but I can't find the shuttle/climbing road..any info would be great. How hard is the climb up?? Is the descent something I can do solo, or is it better to ride with a buddy?? A PM on any leads would be awesome...thanks...

mtbr member
    Say no more, I didnt know. Post is gone.
    Last edited by Fuel53; 03-08-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    be quiet in the neighborhoods....don't iratate the locals
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel53
    From TW get off on Shoal Creek drive, trails are on the right. That is cheating though. Park at the middle school (meadowbrook ln off of Pomerado) and climb for the downhill. Google earth will show you the way.
    I give this thread two days before it gets pulled.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

Geritol Power
    EDIT: I should rephrase that.

If you want to make a new friend that's fine but please don't post it on the internet. Take it to PM. Also please don't shuttle in residental areas. If you wanna ride at TW then show some respect and hike it. In fact I hiked it 4 times today and I'm 49 years old. If I can do it so can you.

Fuel, please do us that ride at TW a favor and delete your post.

Thank you
    Last edited by Duzitall; 03-03-2007 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Is Ted Williams kind of like Fight Club?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm going to have to concur about the residents up on TW not wanting to be bothered, I grew up in Poway/CMR and know how the people are around there....I just moved back into the area and never knew the place had become a local hot spot so to speak....

Lets keep this spot a place to ride, don't exploit it.....thanks all.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    Is Ted Williams kind of like Fight Club?
    Shhhh, don't speak to loud

mtbr member
    Look, I understand 100% about keeping quiet about places to ride. Where I ride 99% of the time is in trouble of getting shut down too. There is a big riff between the bikers and the hikers and the horsey riders. It is all about being respectful of each other. Easier said than done.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    Look, I understand 100% about keeping quiet about places to ride. Where I ride 99% of the time is in trouble of getting shut down too. There is a big riff between the bikers and the hikers and the horsey riders. It is all about being respectful of each other. Easier said than done.
    I understand your point, but at the same time if areas like TW are kept on the down low, it will never have a descent chance of being legitimized. Now if a place is absolutely in a no joke illegal place to have a trail and there is no chance it could ever be made legal, then keep it hush hush. If however, there is a chance the trails could be legalized/recognized then engaging the land owners/managers should be heavily considered. Examples where this has worked:
    Idyllwild Area
    Los Pen Canyon/Del Mar Mesa.

IMHO Flightline (and numerous long gone local hush hush trail systems) is example of what happens when more hush hush is used instead of vocal advocacy early on. I'm not saying this approach would have changed the outcome of Flightline, but I'm positive TW will die sooner or later like many others if the Fight Club status quo approach continues.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I understand your point, but at the same time if areas like TW are kept on the down low, it will never have a descent chance of being legitimized. Now if a place is absolutely in a no joke illegal place to have a trail and there is no chance it could ever be made legal, then keep it hush hush. If however, there is a chance the trails could be legalized/recognized then engaging the land owners/managers should be heavily considered. Examples where this has worked:
    Idyllwild Area
    Los Pen Canyon/Del Mar Mesa.

IMHO Flightline (and numerous long gone local hush hush trail systems) is example of what happens when more hush hush is used instead of vocal advocacy early on. I'm not saying this approach would have changed the outcome of Flightline, but I'm positive TW will die sooner or later like many others if the Fight Club status quo approach continues.
    Incredibly well put. The reigning school of thought in cases like this never ceases to amaze me.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO TW is a great place.........land that nobody really seems to care about (absiente owner).....no forestry service to hassle you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is that certain that TW is on private land with an absentee landlord ? That was Knottsberry Farm until some guy killed himself there and the parents went after the land owner and then the developers got the rest. Flightline also had an uninterested landlord until the county recieved it by way of mitigation. The use of Flightline then fell under the definition of the conservancy and now no biking. We were lulled asleep with all those years under an absentee landlord and when we should 've been involved the political process was going on with out our involvement around 2002 I think. Maybe an inquiry about a trail easment could be approached. That might absolve the landlord of some legalities and cover the place if it ever changed hands to some govermental agency like the county, city or state.

Geritol Power

You guys are in dream land

When do you ever see a jump, drop or a road gap in an "approved trail system"??? It's not Mission Trails and it is not going to be there long. The more you talk about it the faster it will be gone or sanitized and restricted to the point it won't matter anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

you are caught between a rock and a hard spot. If you act early you jeopardize what exists when you may have ecked out more time by staying low. But on the other hand you may secure it for the future. Stunts are definitely not on the radar of the main stream. Boy did we learn the hard way at Flightline and Knottsberry. But just as skate parks finally came about so will the evolution of what constituents the current mtn bike trail. This weekend I heard a land manager talk directly to us about what mtn bikers want, ala singletrack vs a sanitized crushed gravel golf cart sidewalk. Plus I heard a lecture given by the forest ranger up in tahoe about building trails in the freeride style to keep pace with development of the sport and the fastest user group growth.Unfortunately not only do we pay more for gas in San Diego pay more for our houses but this place really lacks when it comes to progressive attitudes towards mtn bike trails. What are we going to do? Play hush hush and hope we stay one step ahead of the bulldozer? Short term you are right on. Long term we continue to lag behind the rest of the country.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    you are caught between a rock and a hard spot. If you act early you jeopardize what exists when you may have ecked out more time by staying low. But on the other hand you may secure it for the future. Stunts are definitely not on the radar of the main stream. Boy did we learn the hard way at Flightline and Knottsberry. But just as skate parks finally came about so will the evolution of what constituents the current mtn bike trail. This weekend I heard a land manager talk directly to us about what mtn bikers want, ala singletrack vs a sanitized crushed gravel golf cart sidewalk. Plus I heard a lecture given by the forest ranger up in tahoe about building trails in the freeride style to keep pace with development of the sport and the fastest user group growth.Unfortunately not only do we pay more for gas in San Diego pay more for our houses but this place really lacks when it comes to progressive attitudes towards mtn bike trails. What are we going to do? Play hush hush and hope we stay one step ahead of the bulldozer? Short term you are right on. Long term we continue to lag behind the rest of the country.
    Hmmmmmmm, food for thought! Hard to swallow.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Geritol Power

Taffy summed it up pretty well

Reality bites. I already have a sidewalk in front of my house and I don't want to only have handicap accessible trails to ride. I stopped riding motocross because it sucked to drive 100 miles for my fix. Oh well, such is life.

Chris

mtbr member
    "If you want to make a new friend that's fine but please don't post it on the internet. Take it to PM. Also please don't shuttle in residental areas. If you wanna ride at TW then show some respect and hike it. In fact I hiked it 4 times today and I'm 49 years old. If I can do it so can you.

Fuel, please do us that ride at TW a favor and delete your post."

There is no list out there of the trails that are on the downlow, if you want one, then post one. No need for new friends here I guess, but the coolest people in SD are on the trails. I understand fully the problem of access, as a Marin County native we are banned from all but the widest fireroads. Crazies up there are acually putting up booby traps out to maim bikers on illegal trails: Deadly traps on Marin County Trails
    Legitimacy can prevent stuff like this.