mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Team Big Bear & NMBS = greedy little bastards?

Does anyone else think that the NMBS race series is a complete rip off?

They want me shell out $45 for registration + $10 penalty because I didn't pre-register + $5 for a NORBA license in order to enter the XC race tomorrow. The problem is that $55 of those dollars are going straight into someone's pocket. It doesn't appear to benefit any trails / cycling organizations / non profits / etc, and the real kicker is that there are zero rewards to winners - even to pro's!!!! (trophy's & medals don't count). They use volunteer labor, and I suspect the NORBA license requirement allows them to avoid event insurance costs. What a scam.

I did a few of the Southridge Fontana Winter Series races and those were great. I think I payed $35 and registered like 30 minutes beffore go-time. Top five finishers (pro only) split $500. That was a fun race series.

So, I'm going to skip tomorrow's race and go for a nice epic type ride, which will be a blast, but is unfortunate because I was looking forward to doing a bit of racing.

XC rider
    I'm still going to shell out the $ to race.

But if you are free next weekend come check out our race @

http://bigsandyrace.com/tee/

Free tee, free post race beverages and all profits go back to trail projects

1 day license fees are waived.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboot
    I'm still going to shell out the $ to race.

But if you are free next weekend come check out our race @

http://bigsandyrace.com/tee/

Free tee, free post race beverages and all profits go back to trail projects

1 day license fees are waived.
    Looks fun!

What is the DH like on the route?

XC rider
    Its a 15 mile point to point race with about 3000 ft of downhill. The 2 main sections of downhill. Mostly single track or double track, some parts off camber. If you are good at downhilling you will make up some serious time against your competition. Lots of water mounds that you can launch off. I'm hoping Jake from project 321 can comment...I'm mostly a wuss when it comes to DH. Him and gmnk pass me each time. Chris any comments? Jake?

Time for me to load up and hit the road, off to fontana...should be a fun race this weekend. I know the prices can be steep but one thing is certain, Team Bigbear always puts on a great race.

Equal opportunity meanie
    That looks interesting. Do you have an elevation profile for the course?

I agree with the original poster. Someone there is laughing all the way to the bank.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by cashtar
    and I suspect the NORBA license requirement allows them to avoid event insurance costs. What a scam.
    Since it's part of a NORBA series, you must have the license. no scam there.

However............i stopped racing at TBB years ago because i never liked their events and they were too much $$$$$ for the experience. The courses weren't that great and customer service seemed a bit lacking. I guess it hasn't changed.

Southridge and Rim Nordic always seemed to put on a good event where they put the racers first.

YR