mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Tapia Canyon Castaic closing

I did a ride on Tapia today. Those who know the trail.....Most of Tapia creek has been bull dozed into double track with new signs that say right to pass has been revoked by property owner. The fire road up to the towers now has fenced gates and signs as well.

I believe they are going to build new housing development and the city planners have blessed us by turning the single track into a new bike path for the Tesoro trail system.....good times

Any other good trails in Santa Clarita for quick after work rides?

mtbr member
    Welcome to California- The land of lost trails
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Argh! I was going to ride there this weekend. Any idea of Kona, g-out, and Dog tag are inaccessible as well? i wonder if we can still access the trails from the San Francisquito side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Tapia Canyon Castaic closing

This has got to be the worst news I've read today. Was planning a trip out there tomorrow morning as well. It's getting pretty bad these days for trails.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

official eMpTyBRain
    This has been a long time coming guys. The area was planned for developing several years ago but the economy fell on it's face and the planning ceased. They're back. Bummer.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Flaccid Member
    Been riding on that private property for years.... and keeping it on the low down. Helped build some of those trails myself with sweat equity. Just cause you own a mountain bike doesn't mean you have a place to ride it unless you own some of your own land and pay the taxes on it... get used to it.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

b a n n e d
    Bummer. I had heard of some mythical trails out that way, where the trails were fast and flowing, and a topless supermodel handed you a beer at the bottom before you got towed to the top by a unicorn. Sounds like I missed the boat on this one . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Been riding on that private property for years.... and keeping it on the low down. Helped build some of those trails myself with sweat equity. Just cause you own a mountain bike doesn't mean you have a place to ride it unless you own some of your own land and pay the taxes on it... get used to it.
    Fortunately, California has these places called Public Open Space, and National Forests. There's trails in them, too. The place you seem to be describing is Texas. 90+% of land in Texas is 'private proppity'.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

official eMpTyBRain
    It might just be Texas, there's oil drillin' going on there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    It might just be Texas, there's oil drillin' going on there!
    A more likely reality in So Cal is 'developin'. With the Great Recession 'over', the same greedy development corporations that put San Diego into a trail-bind in the first place, by scraping the vernal pools and the the Mesas they were on naked, are now pouring foundations and paving streets there, confident that "if they overbuild it, they will come"...
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2013

G-Out was still open as of this morning May 20th...

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1 View Post
    Argh! I was going to ride there this weekend. Any idea of Kona, g-out, and Dog tag are inaccessible as well? i wonder if we can still access the trails from the San Francisquito side.
    but who knows for how long.

official eMpTyBRain
    Anything still open for riding up there? Any updates???

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Anything still open for riding up there? Any updates???
    I rode there yesterday and it's still open. Kona has been smoothed out, but it's still a fun ride. Other trails there are open too. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's good to know. A friend of mine showed me those trails just recently and was bummed to hear that they might closed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    From our understanding is that if the gates are open the trails are open. The signs are there to cover the owners ass if an injury occurs on his land. I have yet to see the gates closed.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Kona is "closed", and for the most part, really not worth riding anymore; it's all sand and horse poop except for the very top part.G-out is still open as that side of the canyon belongs to a different land owner. I've heard rumors of a new trail being built on the G-out side of the canyon, supposedly starting off it's upper entrance, but I cannot confirm this.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    I've heard rumors of a new trail being built on the G-out side of the canyon, supposedly starting off it's upper entrance, but I cannot confirm this.
    That new section is called Sidewinder. It parallels what is known as Foreplay. You access it right after you climb the small hill at the beginning of Foreplay. If you're bummed about riding the creek bed since it was plowed, you may not like riding Sidewinder until it gets some rain too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where does Sidewinder start? BY the towers? I haven't been on Tapia in about a year and a half. I'm familiar with Tapia. I live in Castaic so if anyone that is local wants to show me, PM me please.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
    Where does Sidewinder start? BY the towers? I haven't been on Tapia in about a year and a half. I'm familiar with Tapia. I live in Castaic so if anyone that is local wants to show me, PM me please.
    It starts at the beginning of Foreplay just past the gravel rd into the dirt.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Friends showed me around Tapia and Charlie Canyons this a.m.- totally fun area, can't wait to explore more. I hope any future development allows this trail system to remain. Kona and Carl's are currently open.
    Never give up, never surrender.